Mac Applications forum

General discussion

No images appearing in Safari

Recently, Safari 3.2.3 on 10.4.11 has stopped loading images. No placeholder icons appear, just blank spaces. Other browsers, such as Firefox, are not affected, nor are other user accounts. I tried repairing permissions, but that didn't help. Has anybody ever seen this behavior? Is this something that a preferences reset should be able to resolve, or is something more drastic necessary?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No images appearing in Safari
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No images appearing in Safari
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no images in Safari

In reply to: No images appearing in Safari

You might like to trash Safari preferences and reset it. If no deal, remove it and reinstall. Does this happen on another account? To learn this, create a new account in system preferences, allow it to administer the computer, log into it and try. If this happens again, it is a system-wide issue, if not, just your main account. Then some maintenance is in order, like TinkerTool or the likes. Otherwise, if you have no special reason to use Safari, switch to Camino or Firefox altogether. Tell us how it goes.

Collapse -
Re: no images in Safari

In reply to: no images in Safari

Thanks for the info. I had already created a new user account, and Safari works fine there. So I'm guessing Safari is okay, and it's a foulup somewhere in my user account. I will try trashing Safari preferences. I have TinkerTool. What should I do within TT to try to fix it?

I have already started to use Firefox, so I can have access. That's what I'm using for this thread. I'll post again after trashing prefs. Thanks.

Collapse -
good news.

In reply to: Re: no images in Safari

It is great that Safari is not directly involved. Trashing prefs might help. I would also reset Safari.
Sorry, I gave you a wrong advice about TT. This free version does not have maintenance capabilities; only Tinker Tool System has them. Or Socks. Both are shareware; TTS has very good reviews. I used it yesterday after free Onyx crashed without warning in the middle of standard automated maintenance, which removed desktop picture and made the system slow. So, don't use this freebie until the final release. TTS got me back on track.
If the preference trashing works (I guess, there are two pref files; search with Spotlight for Safari; first under kind select other and scroll down to system files and then, change aren't included to are included), you may not need anything else. If not, some maintenance may be needed. I suggest you buy TTS or Socks (formerly System Optimizer X). If you have DiskWarrior (strongly recommend) or TechTool Pro, you can use them too.

Collapse -
Re: no images in Safari

Thank you! Trashing the prefs worked. I have no idea what corrupted them, but that's the joy of the computer - unseen adveraries!

I appreciate your help very much.

Collapse -
(NT) You're very welcome!

Collapse -
same problem here, same OS. How did u trash safari prefs?

hi, i m trying to follow the instructions above to fix the problem. but i cant find any safari prefs. in my computer system, i made a search on my mac but found 2 firefox prefs but no safari prefs... ?
where did you find yours?

i did already download tinker tool + tinker tool system... is it there i can find the prefs?
i dont know in what folder to place tinker tool system to open and use it. They say in any folder, but then after it says it is better to place it in the 'right' folder before opening the app... BUT what is the 'right' folder? did you go through this as well?

thanx, i hope you have time to help me fix the problem too.
ps. i do have firefox but i ve read a message that the version compatible with OS 10.4 will soon expire...

milca

Collapse -
this thread is 5 years old, do not hijack a thread

In reply to: same problem here, same OS. How did u trash safari prefs?

that is ancient, start your own thread.

Safari Preferences are in the User folder > Yourname > library > Preferences

Stick Tinker Tool into the Applications folder.

If you are still having problems, start a new thread.

P

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.