Mac OS forum

General discussion

No Hewlett Packard printer drivers for Mac OS X 10.5 - HELP

by NM_Bill / December 3, 2007 12:39 AM PST

My older HP OfficeJet G55 printer still operates fine - if I only had a driver download for OS X 10.5.

Since installing 10.5 I had been able to use the printer up to now. I had to often run the driver download (G_731_EN.dmg) to get to the set up assistent as it easily dropped identification of the printer, but now it has gotten to the point the driver download for the last listed OS (10.4) won't even run.

I am a technophobe rather than technophile. Amy good hearted assistence out there?

Pretty please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Hewlett Packard printer drivers for Mac OS X 10.5 - HELP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Hewlett Packard printer drivers for Mac OS X 10.5 - HELP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, only supported up to 10.4
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 3, 2007 1:43 AM PST
Collapse -
4 years a lifetime? (unsupported printers)
by NM_Bill / December 4, 2007 9:03 AM PST

I find my 4 year old HP OfficeJet G55 is not Leopard supported. HP assistance led me to a list in docs.info.apple.com of listed 3rd party Gutenprint 5.1.3 for the HP OfficeJet G55. Instructions were to get those drivers from the OS X 10.5 disc as optional installs. OK, I ran that to download a big bunch of printer brands.

Printer still not functioning. Message is: fatal. Printer open failure.

Do I have to do something to activate the downloaded printer driver stuff from the disc?

Assistance will be greatly appreciated. Hate to think I have to buy a new printer.

Collapse -
Disk Setup Utility
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / December 4, 2007 8:53 PM PST

Click the option for more printers. This should send the DSU out to check for additional drivers for your machine.

Before you do that though, remove the printer from the AC supply for a couple of minutes. Just turning it off does not achieve the same effect.

Plug it back in and fire it up before you do the first step here.

Check the original install instructions for where to go from there.

Collapse -
Thanks, that removing the printer from the electric was my
by NM_Bill / December 5, 2007 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: Disk Setup Utility

missing step. Gads, I'm thankful.

Collapse -
Well, at 2nd thought, that allowed it to print a few pages
by NM_Bill / December 6, 2007 12:11 AM PST
In reply to: Disk Setup Utility

conking out again. It acted peculiar during its short run before getting fatal messages that printger cannot open.

I repeated the entire procedure of unplugging the HP printer before running the new OS optionals of tge printer drivers.

Why, oh why does this HP printer work so reliably when it does with fine level of print & longevity compared ro a cheap Epson that wore the print head out in one yearyet have so many iterations of Mac OS where getting the printer to be recognized has such a history of being so buggy?

If I do have to replace the printer, can I get a recommendation for a brand with a repurtation for playing well with MAC OS?

Collapse -
Just a thought
by Angeline Booher / December 6, 2007 9:08 PM PST

I bought my iMac in May 2007, and checked for compatibility with my older HP inkjet 832C printer, which it was. My scanner was not. Because of that and to save available space, I opted for the lowest-end HP all-in-one noted on the Apple site. I knew the drivers were already there, so did not install the software.

It functioned very well, except scanned items would not migrate to the computer. Instruction book said to check the help section for how to accomplish that, But, without the software, there was no "help". So I installed the software, read the "help", and all was fine. (Still wondering why the secrecy , perhaps to make the software necessary.)

My point is that maybe the problem lies with your printer, not with your Mac OS upgrade.

I am definitely not a tech guru, but have read here about peripheral power supply cord problems.

Angeline (not a moderator in this forum)

Collapse -
Officejet g55 OSX10.5 solution.......
by bigmarkuk / January 21, 2008 3:44 AM PST

Hi NM_Bill + everyone..

Have had simular issue when upgraded to OSX 10.5 using the HP officejet G55. Printer could be found etc via usb.. but when printing using the 0SX 10.5 installed driver Officejet G55 and the HP (G_731_EN.dmg) driver the printer would sit and process for some time but would not spool to print ... so useless- Apple support were of no use and emails sent to HP had no reply..

I have subsequently messed about with various drivers and have found that this driver found here does the job: (earliest dated driver for g55 UK version) after install just run HP setup - i did not need to use the Apple printer preferences... SO good luck!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=mp-3867-8&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=57742&os=219&lang=en

Collapse -
installation of Stuffit engine
by hmglover / May 25, 2008 5:43 AM PDT

When I try to use the link you recommended for an OfficeJet G55 with Leopard, I get this message: ?Sorry, Expander will not work without the Stuffit engine. Please reinstall from the original installer.? I?m not clear just how to do this, and wonder if you might have any suggestions. Thanks much!

Collapse -
Go to the Stuffit Expander site
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 25, 2008 6:43 AM PDT

and download the FREE Stuffit Expander application.
Do NOT click on the free buttons on the right hand side of the page.

The site is Here

You should have no problem once you have installed the correct version for your OS.

Good luck

P

Collapse -
OfficeJet back online
by hmglover / May 25, 2008 11:45 AM PDT

It works, the darn thing works! Many thanks again!
One thing I?ve noticed however, and wonder if this is a common experience: the HP Toolbox won?t open (ie, when I tried to measure ink levels). Has that been your experience as well? Still a small price to pay to have my printer back online.....I was on the verge of tossing it!

H

Collapse -
The same sort of problem happens
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: OfficeJet back online

with the Epson toolbox on certain printers.

Usually that is caused by not having the correct driver installed but, as you say, it is a small price to pay for having a functioning printer again

P

Collapse -
HP Director
by hmglover / May 26, 2008 3:23 AM PDT

I?ve discovered that HP Director apparently performs some of tha same functions that the HP Toolbox did with my old driver.

Collapse -
10.5.2 update will fix this
by katherinerose66 / February 24, 2008 11:36 PM PST

Hello,

I came across this post while trying to get my HP 832c to print with Mac OS 10.5. After lots of struggle I called Apple Care. They told me the 10.5.2 update fixes this problem, which it did for me. Here were the steps I followed:

1 - Did the 10.5.2 update (I actually had to do it manually for some reason by downloading the file and then opening it)
2 - Disconnected the printer (I turned it off and on too - this may not be necessary)
3 - Went to Printers and Faxes (in System Preferences), and deleted the old printer driver (select it then click the minus symbol at the bottom left)
4 - Reconnected the printer
5 - Printed something, and when prompted selected "Add a Printer" - then in the next dialog I left the default HP printer driver (something like 3.5.5 - can't remember exactly).

So - this worked for me and I'm able to print. Hope it helps!

Collapse -
Thank you.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 24, 2008 11:43 PM PST

We appreciate this sharing of the wealth.

Collapse -
(NT) yep, thanks!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / February 25, 2008 2:37 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you.
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.