General discussion

No English sound track from some recent blue ray discs

My problem is that I don't have English sound track on from some blue ray discs, so far had this problem with Terminator Salvation, Preciouse and District 9. French or Spanish sound track works, and English with commentaries. I have BD-P3600 ~months old. I initally had this problem only with one blue ray disc, it means Terminator Salavation, but recently had exactly the same problem with two recent as above blue ray movies.
What should I do in this situation? I am quessing that there is a problem with a decoding system or updates? But how can I fix it?

Janusz

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: No English sound track from some recent blue ray discs
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: No English sound track from some recent blue ray discs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -

jtuchol,

This is the first I've heard on this issue with any of those titles. Is your default setting on the player English (when first set up), and how is the player connected to the TV?

--HDTech

- Collapse -

As HD_Tech has pointed out - it would help to know which device does the sound processing/decoding.

I can only speak for Terminator: Salivation.
The English soundtrack is DTS-HD, while French and Spanish are DD5.1 - big difference.

1. You cannot put out DTS-HD sound over optical cable with the BDP set to PCM or Bitstream (Audiophile);
2. If BDP puts out Bitstream (Audiophile) over HDMI, but the HT cannot decode DTS-HD, you won't get sound.

In that case:
If HDMI, set BDP to PCM and let the player do the decoding.
If Optical, you have to do Bitstream (Re-Encode).

Of course, if you're not using a HT, all of the above is useless information.

_jr_

- Collapse -
Thank you guys for all your suggetions.

This is true with difference between Eng soundtrack and French and Spanish in the Terminator movie. I did search within my other Blue ray discs, and found that the same setting at least as far as I can tell is for the Transformers blue ray disc: Eng is DTS-HD MSTR MULT CHAN exactly the same description as for the Terminator movie. So, this eliminates that as a possible cause, doesn?t it?
Decoding is done by Samsung Blue Ray player BD-P3600, which is connected to Samsung LCD HDTV. The default setting of the player is English. I can change my setting of HDMI to on or off, what doesn?t make any difference as far as the discussed problem goes. I don?t know where I can make any additional changes like, being discussed above ? If HDMI, set BDP to PCM and let the player do the decoding. If Optical, you have to do Bitstream (Re-Encode) ?. As I said it happens to me 3 times for those 3 BR movies, so it?s not a huge problem, but still would like to fix it

- Collapse -
DTS-HD

Now it is perfectly clear what is going on.

>>Decoding is done by Samsung Blue Ray player BD-P3600... I don?t know where I can make any additional changes like, being discussed above ? If HDMI, set BDP to PCM and let the player do the decoding. If Optical, you have to do Bitstream (Re-Encode) ?.>>>

Basically, everything I said above applies to a setup with a Home Theater. With TV being your sound system, I am not exactly sure how BDP and TV negotiate various audio formats.
I don't have this exact model of BDP, but I can look it up in the manual...

Look under Setup => Audio => Digital Output. Page 39 of the manual covers 3 possible scenarios. Direct URL to PDF:
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200910/20091009101836046/BD-P3600-ENG-BM-0930.pdf

You might want to play with different settings until you get sound.

_jr_

- Collapse -
Surprise...

I was convinced that I have the BD-P3600 model, but it appears that my Blue Ray player is called HT-BD1250T (5.1 Ch, Blu-ray). Given that I am unable to adjust all these discussed Audio features. Basically I don?t have in my payer?s software. All of this came a sort of a surprise to me. Why Samsung downgraded the software in this player that appears very useful in the BD-P3600 model? As a result the question how one can unjust audio option for the discussed Blue Ray discs remains unanswered.

- Collapse -
Audio features

Since you have a Home Theater with BDP, there is nothing to adjust, because the HT does all the audio processing. I was going strictly by your model description and therefore had a distorted idea of your setup.
_jr_

- Collapse -
Problem solved

Updating firmware has solved my problem. Thanks ya'll for discussion.
I am posting this because I thought it might be useful to some of samsung users.

jt

CNET Forums

Forum Info