PC Hardware forum

General discussion

NO display on monitor after installing new moderbor/cpu/ram

by OSAL / August 24, 2005 8:13 AM PDT

i currently have a 1.5ghz p4 computer with a p4ita motherboard with 256 mb of RAM,my operating system is xp home ed...but now i want to upgrade everything to a 848p-a7 mother board that supports hyperttech with lga 775 3.0ghz pentium 4 processor with hyperttech. My problem is that after i replaced and the motherboard witht the new ram and cpu installed and also with my video card that is radeon x800xt platium ed.the monitor does not show display ..everything with power seems to go okey the fan works the light in the new motherboard turns on meaning the ram is okey but i cnat see nothing in the monitor and it goes to sleep...my monitor is a new gateway flat pannel and i tested in my old motherboard and it worked...Any ideas what could be happenning?? please help i m desperate....some help will be greatly aprreciated thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NO display on monitor after installing new moderbor/cpu/ram
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NO display on monitor after installing new moderbor/cpu/ram
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What "light" on the mobo is it
by Ray Harinec / August 24, 2005 9:15 AM PDT

that you interpret as telling you that the RAM is OK??

Possibly you are misinterpreting what that LED is. Normally it is simply a light that tells one that the 5 volt standby power is applied to the mobo, which is ALWAYS there anytime the power supply is plugged into a live AC plug.

By any chance is it possible that with the old mobo the CPU was powered from either the 3.3 or 5 volt power, and the new one uses the 12 volts from the 4 pin socket that the newr power supplies all have, which your old supply may not have???

Tell us what happens when you turn it on, in detail, Power light on case go on/ CPU'sHSF turns on and stays on? What goes to sleep??

Collapse -
the power supply is new...and it has that 4pin connector
by OSAL / August 24, 2005 10:56 AM PDT

which is connected to the motherboard as well as the main 20pin atx connector...my old mobo needs this extra 6pin connector for power but this new mobo doesnt....my monitor goes to sleep ..the orange light in the power led of the monitor appears and there is no video...thanks for your reply man

Collapse -
You did NOT tell us about the many other
by Ray Harinec / August 24, 2005 11:22 AM PDT

things asked about re when the system is turned on. CPU's HSF fan turning? Does it stay on?, Power supply fan turns on and stays on? Front panel light ON and stays on? Hard drive runs, Hard drive light on the from flashes once in a while? Do you have a case speaker? Get any beeps.

Did you install the mobo et al and connect all of the drives etc before trying to check anything??

We need to know the symptoms more completely to adequately give ideas on what to try. We really don't know if the power supply is turning on and staying on.

Collapse -
i dont get any beeps from the case speaker...and everything
by OSAL / August 24, 2005 11:37 AM PDT

turns on, cpu fan, power supplyies turns on, the leds are working hard drives seems to be working..because the hard drive led flashes...the mobo psu cpu turns on and stay on...

Collapse -
Does that mobo have on board video???
by Ray Harinec / August 24, 2005 1:41 PM PDT

If so you must disable it in the BIOS [or plug the monitor into the onboard video's connector].

The other possiblility is that the video card is not plugged in fully, or that it needs some additional power to be plugged into it. [if it is an PCI X16 slot, the slot should provide adequate power].

Collapse -
i use a radeon agp 800xt platium ed it uses addition power
by OSAL / August 24, 2005 2:46 PM PDT

i have other video cards..geforce fx 5500pci 128ddr, and also an onboard video card...they dont work in this new motherboard but yes in my old one

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / August 24, 2005 2:56 PM PDT

So does your motherboard have integrated gfx and if so did you try. If not, and both agp and pci-expres cards don't work. Its either a psu, which i doubt as everything is spinning. RAM-But no beeps, so i dk. CPU-Some mobos give a beep, so this can't be ruled out. Motherboard could also be bad. How many sticks of ram do you have? Try one stick only at a time, in every slot. if don't work, than not ram. Motherboard and cpu test, i don't really know how to test those.

Roger

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.