HP forum

General discussion

no display on HP Compaq

by nasty_dogg_4eva / November 1, 2009 11:00 AM PST

hello everyone!
a friend of mine brought me his laptop which is a Compaq Presario R3000. the problem is that there is no display. the laptop runs normally--lights come on, fans n hard drive spin. i connected an external lcd monitor to the laptop, but still no display. i cleaned the ram & its slot but still had the same problem. the guy removed the ram at home or probably gave it to another friend. so i installed a 256 ddr266 from my cousin's laptop. even without ram it gave no beep sounds.
this is the 1st time i've encountered this sort of problem with both screens not displaying anything. any ideas???

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no display on HP Compaq
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no display on HP Compaq
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We have 2 r3000s in our family.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2009 11:58 AM PST

I know the machine very well. The usual death is from lack of maintenance and one owner fried the CPU when they powered it up with out the CPU heatsink installed.

Ours are 5 years old with yearly maintenance (you can imagine as a moderator I learned this years ago) so while ours work what I learned is this machine is not for the no-maintenance crowd. It's likely that one of the usual items is fried such as the CPU, GPU but here's the bottom line. Repair costs more than a new machine.
Bob

Collapse -
Geeezzz.....
by nasty_dogg_4eva / November 6, 2009 5:30 AM PST

whoa! i never thought that could happen... i thought maybe it was fussy about the different ram modules or something like that...

thanx Bob for that info. yeah i guess he was overexcited about his laptop he must have overheated it without realising.

so what do u suggest? do i just tell him to get rid of the machine?

maybe just keep the working parts as spares and maybe they could come in handy with a new machine...

Collapse -
LAST HURRAH.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 7, 2009 2:09 AM PST
In reply to: Geeezzz.....

Try this -> http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/sys/1444739432.html

That gives you an idea of its value. Frankly our shiny Netbook is almost if not faster on some things.

But here's the idea. If you can find a good CPU for it, try that. Try to keep the dollars low since it's like playing a slot machine. Don't put too much into this one.
Bob

Collapse -
OK...
by nasty_dogg_4eva / November 12, 2009 7:08 AM PST
In reply to: LAST HURRAH.

thanx mate!
i'll try that... if unsuccessful, then into the trash it goes...lol

Collapse -
another problem...
by nasty_dogg_4eva / November 12, 2009 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: LAST HURRAH.

hey I have another HP laptop - a Pavilion ze8500 (DV638AA). the problem with this one is that it won't boot cd-rom or hard drive. it boots up, and then "Initializing MBA..." appears on the screen. Then goes to this screen -
"Argon PXE Boot Agent v2.01 (BIOS Integrated)
(C) Copyright 2002 Agon Technology Corporation
(C) Copryight 2000 3Com Corpororation
All rights reserved.

Pre-boot Execution Environment (PXE)
(C) Copyright 1999 Intel Corporation
All rights reserved."

Then adds this under it -
"PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable"

Then finally goes to this screen -
"Operating System not found"

i've checked all over the internet, and it seems a common problem. there is not real final solution that puts a nail in the coffin and ends it once and for all...!!
do u have any idea how this can be fixed? i know the HDD isnt the problem. im thinking it could be the BIOS or maybe the IDE controller. im not too familiar with HP laptops...

i hope there's a solution apart from buying a new one!lol

Collapse -
I'd start a new discussion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 14, 2009 3:39 AM PST
In reply to: another problem...

Preferably in the Laptop Troubleshooting forum.

But this sounds like a simple hard drive or toasted OS issue. The PXE FAILURE is one you should have learned is a non-issue and one I never discuss.

How do you know it's not the hard drive? Also did you know that this happens when some USB, some FLASH MEMORY sticks are plugged in? Just last week I had a reboot loop cured by unplugging the PCMCIA card. I can't explain why they didn't follow the advice about that.
Bob

Collapse -
HD is new...
by nasty_dogg_4eva / November 16, 2009 6:18 AM PST

well i bought & installed a new hard drive but it still gives the "Operating System not found" message. same message appears when i start the laptop w/o the hard drive installed. it cannot even boot from WinXP cd. i installed a good working cd/dvd rom from my laptop and it still couldnt boot from any bootable disk.
so i tried flashing the bios. the laptop has a floppy drive so i downloaded, and installed the latest bios update for the compaq model(presario 2500series) on a (brand new)floppy. it seem to have been working fine...then it showed a message stating the disk was either corrupted or a non-system disk.

Collapse -
it cannot even boot from WinXP cd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 16, 2009 11:45 PM PST
In reply to: HD is new...

That's a well known area to techs out there. They know to check the bios settings and swap the CD/DVD drive.

Changing the hard drive should result in NO OS FOUND. Nothing wrong about that.

Seems you are in good company with these well known messages. Fixing them is hard on some as they don't want to replace parts.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by nasty_dogg_4eva / November 17, 2009 12:55 PM PST

thanks for that... no tech person perfect, but at least i know now where i stand.
i appreciate ur help. i'll just leave this out...maybe for later... unlike tower pc's, laptops are never to be played around with...(too much!)
cheers Bob! until next time...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?