Computer Help forum

General discussion

No display both video card and monitor are fine!!!

by willmac85 / January 23, 2006 12:40 PM PST

hi guys im new to the forums. my prob is I have a new motherboard Abit as8 3rd eye it is an intell board of which I have installed a lga775 640 3.2 ghtz cpu. I transfered my ide 40 gig hdd and my maxtor sata 80 gig hdd, plus my giel pc3200 ram 768meg I have a radeon x800 pro agp vga card which was also in my previous system. I reformated my ide 40 gig drive as i use it as the master and i reinstalled windows xp professional every thing ran smoothly windows installed and I then installed the chipset drivers for the motherboard. I then noticed that my sata 80 gig drive wasn't in the my computer list I went into disk manager and it was there and it said the drive was fine. I figured the reason I couldn't see it was cause I must not have installed the sata driver. so I shut down the pc changed the bios to boot from the cd rom cause I was going to use my windows setup to install the sata driver from the floppy disk. only when it said press any key to boot from cd I missed it and it went straight on to load windows. here is the problem happened when windows loaded it was really distorted and all the wrong colors I shut the computer down by depressing the power button then when i turned it back on again nothing I have no display I dont get the beep code error saying theres somthing wrong with the video adapter infact I dont even get the single beep that i usually get. I first checked that the video card was properly inserted which it was I unplugged the monitor and pluged it in again 2nd try again nothing happened. I shut the power off completly including the standby power then I reset the cmos nothing. I then tried my previous vga card a radeon 9600xt and nothing happened. I then swapped monitors when I turned the computer on I saw the monitor fire up with a green light then it quickly shut off back to standby just b4 i got a picture so the problem is not with my video card or my monitor but it is a graphics problem as I said the motherboard is brand new has only been turned on twice which was when I reinstalled windows. so there is nothing wrong with my agp slot. I was connected to the internet at the time when windows first loaded is it possible i may have caught a virus if so is there such a virus that shuts down your monitor? if so how would i fix it? I cant really think of what else the problem could be I really hope somone here can think of somthing. also I hadn't got around to installing the video card drivers b4 this happened.

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks guys

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No display both video card and monitor are fine!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No display both video card and monitor are fine!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One of my computers
by fjb / January 23, 2006 9:22 PM PST

that I put together has an ABIT board and the same symptoms you are having, I was using An ATI Video card also. My board has the Nvidia chipset and the ATI card would not work with it so I installed an NVIDIA video card and all was well. Not saying that is your problem but is you have another Video card give it a try.

Collapse -
No beep
by Bob__B / January 23, 2006 10:21 PM PST

PSU
MOBO
CPU/HSF
Does it squall?

If no, your down to three parts.

If yes, build up.

BTW. it seems that some mobo's will squall even without a cpu, that you can test.

Collapse -
Bob b has the point.
by Ray Harinec / January 24, 2006 6:15 AM PST

Your history was needed for us to get an idea of what has gone on before. HOWEVER, we now need to start from basics, makes some observations and just try to get the system working without any drives. Enough to get into the BIOS [one way to see if you will then have video].

I assume Bob's squall means beeps. You mobo manual should tell what the beep codes are.

From the basic configuration, no drives plugged in, can you turn the power supply ON? Does it stay on? Can you turn it off by pressing the power key. Do you get the LEDs lighted? How many pins are on your power connector to the mobo? I assume that mempry has to be DDR2, correct???

If your 40 GB drive was the Master, why did you try to install the SATA drivers by installing XP?? You can simply install them by putting the CD in the drive and installing them. The process that you were using was to install the SATA drivers so that XP will make it the boot drive. That's where you use F6 to tell the XP install to ask for the SATA drivers. You had no reason to do that. The SATA drivers are on the CD that came with the mobo.

I can't really piece together where your system sits at this time. Might be time to dump all hard drives and data and start over by first building the computer up step by step, working up to getting the video card in and the monitor connected and a keyboard to allow getting into the BIOS. Nothing else except the CPU, HSF, One stick of memory, and the front panel connections made. [note that the power supply can be turned on via the power switch with nothing on the mobo except the power supply connector, and momentarily jumpering the two power pins on the mobo with the tip of a slot screwdriver]. Can't get this far nothing additional will help.

Collapse -
Thanks
by willmac85 / January 24, 2006 7:05 AM PST
In reply to: Bob b has the point.

ok thanks for your help guys I will answer back with the questions and try the solutions you have given me later today. and let you know thanks for your help.

Collapse -
We'll be waiting to hear good neews
by Ray Harinec / January 24, 2006 7:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

or help if not good.

Collapse -
computer problem cont.
by willmac85 / January 25, 2006 12:40 PM PST

hey hows it going I have been busy the last couple of days and havn't had time to work on my pc. I needed to access the enternet and so on so I had to pull all my parts out and reassemble my old system everything worked fine so It's not my hardware thats a problem.

It is hard to imagin though that there would be somthing wrong with my NEW!! motherboard It worked fine the first few times and then when It booted up the windows intro screen was all distorted and all bthe wrong colors I turned it off and when I turned it back on there was no display.

the powersupply is fine also and the ram I use is ddr pc3200 my new board is still an agp board which supports the Lga775 intell cpu but still takes normal ddr ram. my chipset drivers are I865-1.28m.

I have not tried reassembling my new computer yet. I would like to get my sata drive working first so that I know how to do it when I do place it back into my new system.

I use a Ide drive which is set for master in which I run windows xp pro. I use my sata drive for storage and backups. I reinstalled windows xp on my Ide drive then I found that my sata drive was missing from my computer so I went into control panle/administrative tools/computer management/disk managment It shows my sata drive is healthy and active. so I figured all I had to do was install the sata driver. I dont know why I used the f6 feature to install windows on it I guess its just what I did last time anyway b4 i went through with that I quit out of it as I did not want to install windows on my sata drive. I went to add new hardware wizard and installed the sillican image raid and sata driver off my provived floppy disk I had no problems installing the driver. I restarted the computer and still the drive does not appear in my computer it is still listed in disk management as healthy and active I am not sure what to do now. If I have to reformat the drive I would like to know if anyone knows of a way I can retrieve the files I need off the drive b4 I do format.

at the moment I believe I have my sata drive connected to sata header 1 on my motherboard. I was sure thats where it was b4 I moved it. Anyway not sure if it will do anything but im going to try and plug it into sata 2 since it is my slave drive. I dont tihnk it will do anything cause my master is an Ide and are not connected together but I'll try it anyway.

I dont understand why I cannot simply transfer my storage drive to a new motherboard without having to reformat it.

thanks for taking the time to help me it is much appreciated and sorry for the long post I wanted to tell exactly everything I did.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?