Desktops forum

General discussion

no display after video card install

by 289falcon / April 2, 2011 1:27 AM PDT

Hi, my daughter has an hp m7760n running Windows 7 (was Vista). We tried installing a new video card thinking we were following the directions. We disabled the onboard video and installed the card, however it also said that we needed to change the BIOS to change the PCI express slot from AGB to PCI E and we did not do that. Now we have no video on the monitor to make any changes or to enable onboard video. Do you have any suggestions on how to resolve this issue and is all of the previous information correct or was there another step that was done/not done in the process that caused this problem? If at all we just need to know how to reboot the computer back to a point where the onboard video is enabled again so we can see what we're doing.

For a further question, assuming this can be easily resolved, does the onboard NEED to be turned off or will the computer immediately pick up the new hardware (the video card in this case) and you can choose which to use and which to disable from there?

Appreciate the help and hopefully someone knows what's up.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no display after video card install
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no display after video card install
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Link, comment
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 7:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
No display after video card install
by czimple / April 18, 2011 5:01 AM PDT

Hi ,

If it is not working then remove card from slot and clean properly and install it again.For best suggestions visit czimple.com

Collapse -
(NT) Why pay, when microsoft,cnet, nvidia and intel is free?
by Oceantiger65 / May 2, 2011 11:07 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) Does vcard require power n model? did unplug CPU b4 install?
by my-tech / April 20, 2011 1:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Is Power supply compatiable with new video card
by Oceantiger65 / May 2, 2011 10:45 AM PDT

If disabliing the on board video and changing bios to PCi, did you check to see if your Power Supply was compatiable with the video card you are putting in your computer( 450 watts minimum). The new video cards have 3D/HD and multi video monitor capabilities and other graphic accelerators and no one ever thinks to check the power supply to see if can run all of these extra software and hardware. If you type in the search videos section on cnet.com you can watch the video on how to install video cards and power supplies. Sometimes the video cards are just not compatiable with the computer and you can go to sites like www.nvidia.com and check and see what video card will work with your system. Also, check www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com to find cheap compatiables, as well.
I hope this thread wont discourage you from trying to continue DIY computer hardware and software installations.
It is not difficult just time comsuming.

Collapse -
check power supply
by Oceantiger65 / May 2, 2011 11:00 AM PDT

I forgot to add after you remove the video card, turn on computer and go to my computer on the desktop and right click and click on properties, then click on hardware, then click on device manager, then click on plus sign next to display adaptors, this the name of your on-board video. right click on your on-board video and reenable your video and then you are good to go till you try to change it again. Always disable on board video to enable any video card.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?