Windows Vista forum

General discussion

'no disk in drive E:!' - recurrent error message

by woollenphrog / July 3, 2009 2:05 AM PDT

Hallo,

Am running Vista on Samsung R20 laptop. The laptop came with PowerDVD Player installed.

Whilst I'm usually able to watch DVDs on this programme using my DVD/RW drive (E:); habitually, it returns the error 'no disk in drive E!'.

In the past I've been able to solve this by leaving it a couple of weeks; downloading a programme called 'VLC media player' seemed to do the trick once or twice - so I began to think it might be some sort of decoder problem, but didn't really know.

However, I've done both of these this time - rebooting, defragging etc. along the way - yet can't seem to solve the problem.

Hm, virtual memory was low, so recently increased paging file size, if that might have anything to do with it.

Can anybody help?

Thanks Muchly.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'no disk in drive E:!' - recurrent error message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'no disk in drive E:!' - recurrent error message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 3, 2009 10:57 AM PDT

1. A cd/dvd lens cleaner.
2. A new DVDRW drive.

Collapse -
Argh!
by woollenphrog / July 5, 2009 11:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Try.

Thanks very much for your help - I'd thought this was some sort of software problem since, but I need a new drive?! - Cripes!

Collapse -
Not necessarily...
by John.Wilkinson / July 6, 2009 1:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Argh!

You may just need to delete upper and lower filters, a fairly common Windows issue.

-> Yes, it produces the symptoms you described as well.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
....strangerer and strangerer
by woollenphrog / July 6, 2009 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Not necessarily...

Okay, thanks for this.

Despite having already removed and readded the drive, I've just done this again and it now seems to have solved the problem.

However, having gone through the steps to remove filters from the registry (thank you), it appears I have no lower filter - so Microsoft Help is advising me to try something else.

Hm - still not sure what's causing the (recurrent) problem though. Have done a bit of searching around and seems other people have had a similar problem, too.

Thanks for your help, though...probably be back in a week's time!

Collapse -
FYI: Both filters are not always present...
by John.Wilkinson / July 6, 2009 1:59 AM PDT

Deleting the registry key(s) should solve the problem on a long-term basis; the symptoms can appear sporadicly, so the previous fixes you tried likely had no effect rather than a perceived short-term effect.

John

Collapse -
ahhh
by woollenphrog / July 6, 2009 2:10 AM PDT

Rightio.

Have deleted the offending filter.

Thanks kindly.

Collapse -
Oh dear - recurring problem!
by woollenphrog / July 11, 2009 5:56 AM PDT
In reply to: ahhh

Hello again,

So I managed to watch one DVD, but the problem has come back again.

The upper and lower filters are removed, and I've uninstalled and reinstalled the driver several times. Windows is also telling me that the best driver software is already installed for this device.

It is still playing audio and data CDs, but is not recognising DVD format.

Does anybody have any further advice about this?

Thanks for you time.

Collapse -
This is a Software Issue
by Elam_Orcutt / May 9, 2012 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Try.

I replaced the DVD drive and still have the same issue.

Collapse -
At nearly 3 years later I suggest
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2012 11:09 AM PDT

Trying the above ideas or a new discussion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?