Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

no disc in drive e

by diane783 / November 16, 2004 2:27 PM PST

I was trying to run a computer game off a CD and I got the error "There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive E:." The E drive is my CD RW.

I had run this program before without a problem. I took the disk out and put it back in- no luck. I gave up.

Now I try to run a program that has been installed on my harddrive (Powerpoint), and I get the same error. I never needed to have a disk in the E drive to use that program before.

I use Windows XP. Not sure where to look to troubleshoot this one. Help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no disc in drive e
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no disc in drive e
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: no disc in drive e
by JoshHendo / November 16, 2004 2:33 PM PST
In reply to: no disc in drive e

Hi. What brand of CD drive is it. Some one I know is haveing a similar problem. It was working, then next time they turned on the computer, it didn't work.

Collapse -
no disc in drive e
by natexz / May 15, 2007 4:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: no disc in drive e

I have a Dell Dimension 2350,my specs are:55 g hard drive,pentium 4 CPU,1.80 ghz,256ram,lite-on 48X max cd-rom and samsung cd-r/rw sw-240 b drive.My problem is regardless of what type of disc I put in my cd-r/rw drive,it will not be read or written.Tried burning some cd-rs,but everytime without fail,I get an error message(No disc in drive e.)I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the drive,but still got the same error message.Tried updating the drivers,firmware from the manufacturer,did not work.Contacted Dell and had one of tier 1 techs,remotely try to fix the problem,no luck.Tried cleaning the optical eye,no luck.Tried several different burning programs,(Roxio and Nero)when it came to finalize the cd-r,it gave me the same error msg....no disc in drive E.Tried burning through Windows Media Player,no luck...same error msg.The last time this happened I had to carry it to ,the comp shop to get it fixed...I really don't want to replace the cd-r/rw,if a simple solution can be found.I am at my wit's end.please help...thanks...p.s.my cd-rom works perfectly as far as reading discs.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / November 16, 2004 4:41 PM PST

Some things to do initially: If you are one of those users who keep their machines on 24/7, try rebooting. Have you tried the disc on another drive ? Try telling something about your computer. You have a CD-RW on E:. Do you have a CD-R on, perhaps D: ? Also try reinstalling the CD-RW. I assume you are parasites free ?

Collapse -
by diane783 / November 16, 2004 6:39 PM PST

Ok. I am embarrassed now.
Thank you to you both for your ideas.
Powerpoint works after rebooting (cringing with embarrassment here!!)
If the problem comes back, I will look at all your ideas before posting again.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.