Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No desktop icons start menu tool bar or task mgr

by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 1:37 AM PDT

I just received a free computer from a friend that she says was working when she shut it down. When I put it together and booted it, it goes to the desktop picuture but there are no desktop icons, start menu, tool bar or task manager. It is running XP and will start ok in safe mode. I ran a virus scan and that's ok. I tried system restore and it didn't help. I read somewhere to do diagnostic startup but that didn't work either. I don't have Internet set up on that computer because I would have to install the cable modem. So, downloads are not an option. I also do not have any discs to help me clean boot it. Any suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No desktop icons start menu tool bar or task mgr
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No desktop icons start menu tool bar or task mgr
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"I also do not have any discs"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 1:40 AM PDT

To repair such I use the XP CD and try a "repair install." The repair install is widely documented on google.com

-> If there is no OS CD please tell which OS CD you have. If none, go get yours and then we can continue.

Bob

Collapse -
Try this:
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 2:03 AM PDT

When the desktop picture has loaded, press CTRL+SHIFT+ESC to load the task manager -- if you havent already tried that.

Go to "File", and click "New Task (run...)"

type EXPLORER.EXE and see if that kick starts the interface. If it does, you could try then dragging Windows Explorer into the Startup folder of Windows. Its not a proper fix, but if it gets the problem sorted and you can still be productive it could do for the time being.

Good luck!

Collapse -
CTRL+SHIFT+ESC
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 2:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Try this:

It won't respond to that command. An hourglass pops up for a second but nothing else happens.
It also does not respond to CTRL+ALT+DEL
Basically, the only thing I can do is right click on the desktop and create new folders. I have tried to create a new folder and then open it to see if it would access the approp. program but nothing.
I don't have any XP cds. If all else fails, I will have to take it into a repair shop.

Collapse -
Hint. The repair shop needs your XP CD and Key.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

If they install theirs, then it usually fails later since they can only use some other copy which can't be activated.

Bob

Collapse -
If I buy XP
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:12 AM PDT

will I lose all the programs that are on this computer when I install it?

Collapse -
Why would you buy XP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 3:19 AM PDT
In reply to: If I buy XP

Don't you already own one copy?

Microsoft will replace your lost CD for about 35 bucks which is 1/3 to less than what a new full copy is.

-> There are some that in your situation because of a pirate copy of the OS. For this there is little hope of recovery since no one can support such and I've run into cracked copies that are buggy. Also any competent repair shop can't help such since there is no XP CD or license to work the repairs with.

There are also some members that will expend other people's time trying to fix a pirate copy which I feel is unfair to everyone. I am more than willing to help a legit owner.

Bob

Collapse -
T'is!
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Why would you buy XP?

Are we dealing with a pirate copy here?

If we arent then its probs just a duff computer. I am all confuddled now anyway!

Collapse -
Windows CDs
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:32 AM PDT
In reply to: T'is!

This computer was in a business that my friend close. She bought the computer directly from Dell but doesn't know where any of the discs are that came with the computer.

Collapse -
Oh
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows CDs

T'is a bit coincidental --in my opinion-- for it all to go so wonky at this time though..

I am beat! I wave the white flag and invite someone more experienced Silly

Collapse -
more info
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Oh

because it was in a business she cleaned it up (removed customer info and ran defrag) before giving it to us. I think she may have cleaned it up a bit too well!

Collapse -
perhaps!
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:46 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

sounds like me a few years ago in my naive-ness thinking I could safely delete *dll files to make more room on the disk! Thankies goodness I know better now!

Collapse -
Then you can't call MS for that CD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 19, 2007 3:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Windows CDs

Dell may offer restore CDs for a fraction of the full version of XP. Have the system's service and such tags when you call it in.

No need to pay full price if you can avoid it.

Bob

Collapse -
Hmm!
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: CTRL+SHIFT+ESC

Oh dear oh dear! Sounds like a difficult one.. *scratches chin*. I really am not sure now. Is a new folder all you can create? or can you create new shortcuts as well?

Collapse -
more info
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm!

Also, when it boots it skips the user account page and goes straight to the desktop. In safe mode, I went to users accts and saw that there are 2 administrators set, but it won't let me change one to limited. Would that cause this problem?

Collapse -
Good goodness graciousness I do not know!
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: more info

Okay now I am ***really*** stumped. I am sorry, but I truly am beat on this problem. Can you system restore? Like, to months ago? O.o

Try it and see will ya?

Collapse -
(NT) btw I almost forgot GOOD LUCK!
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
system restore
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:11 AM PDT

I tried it a couple times yesterday and it didnt help and now it won't even let me do it anymore

Collapse -
I'm beat!
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: system restore

The hardware could be failing --and fast by the sounds of it-- or the system could be getting eaten by malware and junk like that.

computer is old or new?

Again, best of luck!

Collapse -
thanks for help
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm beat!

computer is about 5 yrs old & is a dell

Collapse -
One word says it all..
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks for help

"Dell".. Thats all I will say.

Damn shame tho, sorry I couldnt help.

Collapse -
shortcuts
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm!

I can make them but it doesn't do anything when I try to open them

Collapse -
what about
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:12 AM PDT
In reply to: shortcuts

shortcuts to:

IEXPLORE.EXE
notepad.exe
cmd.exe

Any?

btw if you wanna access system restore I think it is "rstrui"

Good luck

Collapse -
iexplore
by jennifer0723 / March 19, 2007 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: what about

when I try to make this shortcut it says the file can't be found but it will let me make shortcuts to cmd.exe and notepad.exe even though I can't open them

Collapse -
Wow
by meisinscotland / March 19, 2007 3:20 AM PDT
In reply to: iexplore

I am truly sorry but I dont know what else to do.

Really sorry but I am truly beat. I will think on this one and see if I have any solutions for later..

Collapse -
SOLUTION TO PROBLEM CONCERNIN NO DESKTOP, ICONS OR START MEN
by garyefc / March 23, 2007 5:36 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) NUMBER 195 TO THE RIGHT HAND SIDE !!!
by garyefc / March 23, 2007 5:39 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) this is not is freebie
by tomron / March 23, 2007 6:49 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re: this is not is freebie
by Tufenuf / March 23, 2007 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: this is not is freebie

Those fixes at that Kellys-Korner ""Tweaks and Tips" link are freebies. Whether or not that particular fix will solve the problem is not guaranteed but it's worth a try.

Tufenuf

Collapse -
Tufenuf
by tomron / March 24, 2007 2:00 AM PDT

I was probably thinking of another fix at Kellys-Korner that is not a freebie.I do know that not all the tips at Kellys-Korner are not freebies.

Yes,it's certainly worth a try.

Tom

Collapse -
Re: Tufenuf
by Tufenuf / March 24, 2007 3:09 AM PDT
In reply to: Tufenuf

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!