Dell forum

General discussion

No connection to printer AIO942

by jimmymech / March 21, 2009 1:25 PM PDT

Hey guys and gals!

Someone out there may have run into this and figured it out! I hope:)

I have a Dell Dimension 2400 increased mem to 766Mb running XP Home SP3. Wireless network with a Latitude and the Dell AIO942 printer.

Everything was running fine, being able to print from either computer. The other day I downloaded an update to Windows Live and it did not take. Used the restore and everything was fine till I went to print something. Seems the computer could not connect to the printer. Tried everything I could...reinstalled drivers (many times) restarted everything...shutoff and disconnected printer and installed drivers again to no avail. Read everything Dell had to offer and still no luck. By the way,I did run out of black ink during or just before this fiasco and refilled it then the printer could not recognize the cartridge. Replaced it with a refilled photo cartridge and it is recognized but both the photo and color register as almost empty.

The printer does still work as a stand alone.

Anyone have any clues as to where I screwed up? I'm sure it was something such as in the settings but I've no clue.

I'd be indebted to anyone that could give me some direction as to how to go about fixing my mess!!

Thanx all!
Jimmy Mech (Mac)

PS: I can't print from either computer

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No connection to printer AIO942
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No connection to printer AIO942
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
printer
by DELL-ChrisM Dell staff / March 22, 2009 4:01 AM PDT

jimmytech,

Disconnect the printer. Go into Add/Remove programs. Remove all AIO942 listings. Reboot the PC. Load the AIO942 drivers. Reboot the PC. Connect the printer. Does it print?

Collapse -
printer Dell AIO 942
by jimmymech / March 22, 2009 7:48 AM PDT
In reply to: printer

Hey Jimmytech!

That's almost my name! OK, I did exactly what you said then when I pushed the button to print I received this: "instruction at 0x004037a0 referenced memory at 0x00000010 memory could not be read" Then it said click OK to terminate or click Cancel to debug. Which should I do? Or, should I do something else?

By the way, thank you very much for answering my question!

Jimmy

Collapse -
Jimmy, try this
by PudgyOne / March 23, 2009 7:16 AM PDT
In reply to: printer Dell AIO 942

Make sure you have all of Windows Updates, especially .net framework, needed to run many applications. Also make sure you have the latest Java

Disconnect the printer.

Download and run this patch to completely remove the printer from your computer. Run the patch until it prompts you to restart your computer.

Restart your computer.

Install the XP 32-bit Drivers.

You'll be prompted to connect your printer(powered on)

As for scanning, if you have the disk that came with the printer, then insert the Printer disk and stop it from running. Go to My Computer and double click on it. Look for the drive with the Dell disk in it. Right click on it, left click explore. Look for the OCR Folder. In the OCR Folder, there is an Abbyy Folder. right click on setup.exe, that's in the Abbyy Folder and left click run as administrator. This will install the OCR program.

Scanning

Scanning using USB connection, open the Dell All-In-One Center, click on scanning and copying and scan from there.

Scanning wirelessly, use the scan buttons on the printer.

Rick

Collapse -
Dell AIO Printer
by jimmymech / March 23, 2009 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Jimmy, try this

Hey Rick!

Just walked back in the house when your email popped up! Wanted to say thanks while you are still there.

I'll give everything you sent a try, but it should take me awhile. On my last post you can see where I left off. I left my computer like that all night in case Jimmytech wrote back. anyway, a little while ago I went ahead and clicked debug and it printed and have not yet tried to print again. I'll give it a quick try before I go through your instructions and let you know what happens.

Thanks again!
Jimmy

Collapse -
Let me know
by PudgyOne / March 23, 2009 7:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell AIO Printer

I have this thread tracked, so I'll get notified withing 10 minutes after you post. Wink

Rick

Collapse -
Dell AIO 942
by jimmymech / March 23, 2009 9:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Let me know

Hey Rick!

Well, Followed all your directions and now my 2400 is printing!!!

Thank you very much. My laptop is not working with the network, but I'll follow your directions on that one also. As for the OCR, all I could find was abby reader and when clicking on that this message popped up "No transform with user interface supplied. This installation Package can't run without language transform"

Sorry, don't mean to be a whiner and don't know if I need that, but I do use OCR once in a while. If there is something else I can do about the OCR, I'd appreciate your in put, but right now I'm happy to have my printer back:)

Thanks again, a bunch (you have no idea how much time I used trying on my own!)

Jimmy

Collapse -
Jimmy,
by PudgyOne / March 23, 2009 9:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Dell AIO 942

is your network setup like the Forum Sticky suggests?

As for printer sharing...

The basics are:

1) Establish a working wireless network (follow your manufacturers instructions)
2) Attach the printer to its host computer
3) Be able to print from the host
4) Enable File and Print sharing on the host
5) Set the printers properties to be shared
6) Add a network printer on the client via the Add Printer Wizard

Printer Sharing on XP/Vista Network

Go to Control Panel. Choose printer. Then choose Add Printer.

Choose Add a local printer. Click on Create a new port. The default in the drop down box is Local Port. Do not change that. Click Next.

A dialogue box will appear asking for you to enter a port name.

Type in the \\computername\printername or \\ipaddress\printername

As for an OCR Program, try this FREE OCR Program

Rick

Collapse -
AIO 942 printer Big thanks
by jimmymech / March 23, 2009 9:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Jimmy,

Hey Rick, Jimmytech, and CNET....

I'll try your suggestions and links Rick. Pretty sure we (you) have it just about finished up and I do not want to bug anybody any more than I have too!

Thanks to CNET and you guys for the forum and the help you all do for us lay people:)

Again, Thanks,
Jimmy Mech

Collapse -
Jimmy
by PudgyOne / March 23, 2009 10:22 AM PDT

It's really not a bother, that's what the forums are for, helping others and getting help. If you have any problems, feel free to post back, some issues do arise, especially when people allow Microsoft to update their drivers.

Take care,

Rick

Collapse -
OUCH!!
by jimmymech / March 23, 2009 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Jimmy

Hey Rick!

That OUCH was from MS:) (maybe me too)

Thanks again!
Jimmy Mech

Collapse -
Here is my advice on Windows Updates
by PudgyOne / March 23, 2009 12:20 PM PDT
In reply to: OUCH!!

Windows updates are GREAT for Windows ONLY. If Microsoft offers drivers, sometimes they offer the wrong drivers and/or they get installed wrong, causing devices to fail.

If you have an issue with something, then go to the manufacturers website and get the proper drivers from there.

Best theory "If it ain't broke, DON'T try to fix it"

Rick

Collapse -
MS updates
by jimmymech / March 23, 2009 1:04 PM PDT

Hey Pudgy One! (no offense intended:))

Thanks for that tip! I should have picked up on that one sooner!

Thanks again,
Jimmy Mech

Collapse -
We are all still learning
by PudgyOne / March 23, 2009 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: OUCH!!

I know I am and I'm 51, but don't tell anyone Wink

Rick

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?