Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

No Color or Text in Add/Remove Box~ YIKES!

by ltfons / June 28, 2008 3:38 AM PDT

Hi all, and while I'm really not a newbie newbie, I thought this may be a good place to post this just in case someone else runs into the same trouble. So here goes.
PC Specs:
Dell XPS Gen.3 Desktop/P4-550(3.4Ghz)w/HT/Running Windows XP SP2+/1GB DDR2 @550MHz/256MB PCI Express x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI RADEON X800XT VIDEO CARD/160Sata HDD/DVD-Rom 16x's (Sony)/Samsung 48X CD-RW/Intel Pro 1000 Intergrated PCI NIC Card/19in M993 CRT Monitor/
Trend Micro Internet 2008 Suite w/Attached Trend Spyware Rootkit suite
CC Cleaner
jv16 Power Tools
Windows Media Player 10
IE 7 - Win. XP SP2+ upgraded for all needs
Sound Blaster Audigy 2 THX w/DVD Audio for Demision
I also connect to the net via TCP/IP.
When I go to my Control Panel/Add Remove function, it opens and then takes a sec or two to load all programs. Now this is is the issue, the Window for this function opens, but there is NO COLOR on the ad/remove frame, nor are there any words under the three (3) Function Boxes on the left side. The Icons are there, and if I click on them they do work. Luckly for me I know what each one does.
So gang, what do you think my problem is? I've scanned for malware, I'm clean! I've attempted to change the color settings with no luck. I've also uninstalled the Video Driver and tried a newer version, still no joy!I feel this may be just a case of wrong settings or drivers, as most software like Java, & Flash are all current.
I've been dealing with this for close to 8 months now and am unable to find a solution, so if anyone can assist I would greatly appreciate it.
Much thanx

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Color or Text in Add/Remove Box~ YIKES!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Color or Text in Add/Remove Box~ YIKES!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Known Issue
by Darton Fury / June 28, 2008 1:12 PM PDT

Microsoft solved this with an XP update. Is your system fully patched?

Collapse -
by ltfons / June 29, 2008 1:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Known Issue

Thanx Darton for the quick reply, to the best of my knowledge, yes I'm fully patched. Ever since I got this box I have made sure of this.
I'm running Win.XP SP2 with assorted patches from SP3. The Machine runs pretty snappy, and I have never had an issue other than this one.
I will check with the MS Data Base again, as I may have missed the solution.
By any chance would you know any key words or the issue name, that would make hunting this down alot easier.
Much thanx

Collapse -
by ltfons / June 30, 2008 1:01 AM PDT

JP, in the back of my mind I did have a sneaky feeling it may have been a REG. Issue. The only thing that kept me from looking there was the fact I have never gotten an Error Message, and while the Colors & Text do not appear this function does work properly .... never have seen anything such as listed.........

Message 1: An unexpected error occurred. Class not registered
Message 2:Object doesn't support this property or method res://appwiz.cpl/default.hta Line: 75

But I will take a good look see, as I'm no stranger to Editing the Reg. Appreciate the tip, and Keywords, as I was on MS's Data Base for almost 5 hrs yesterday with no luck.
Much thanx

Collapse -
You might check this, I haven't used it
by JP Bill / June 30, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
Collapse -
You might check this, I haven't used it
by ltfons / June 30, 2008 3:20 AM PDT

JP, thanx for the link, I have used this before and found it lacking.Also the page places a Tracking Cookie in your Folder, somethng I never liked.
I do use jv16Power Tools and find that it is so much stronger. I used it yesterday after installing a few MS updates that I passed over thinking that might be the issue. But still no joy!
For some reason I still have it in my head that because the Add/Remove feature works fine. And all that is making me nutz is cosmetic I'm going to play around with the Color/Video Settings a bit more before I jump into editing my REG. As we both know that can be a long task to do.
But please, keep those suggestions coming, I can't be the only one out there that has had this problem.
Again Much thanx

Collapse -
I did see post about someone with add remove panel problems
by JP Bill / June 30, 2008 4:10 AM PDT

that did find that the video was the problem.

I'll see if I can find that link

Collapse -
I did see post about someone with add remove panel problems
by ltfons / June 30, 2008 4:43 AM PDT

WOW! I;ve been hunting for 5 hrs just today alone! If you can find that it would mean alot of headaches GONE!
Just check my video setting for the Radeon x800xt 256PCI I have. And under the Settings tab the back ground is bright white just like what I see when Add/Remove is open. This looks like a case of set and forget on my part. But aside from this nothng I do to change the colors there has any impact on the Add/Remove Screen Colors. I may have to go hunt for a new driver.... but will wait for your next post to see if that's the total issue.
Hay thanx again JP

Collapse -
Did you try this?
by JP Bill / June 30, 2008 5:58 AM PDT

Go to Start > Run, type sfc /scannow (there's a space following 'sfc'), and hit enter.

Windows will now verify the integrity of the System Files

You may need your Windows CD-ROM.

Collapse -
No luck finding the video link.....
by JP Bill / June 30, 2008 6:28 AM PDT

the poster just said he sent his computer back and they repaired the video.....No other details.

Collapse -
Thank you for your Help
by ltfons / July 1, 2008 12:41 AM PDT

Thank you JP for all the trouble you went through to assist. Will give that scan a try and see if anything pops up. But for now I think I'm going to take a few days off from this, and enjoy the up coming Holiday.
Wishing you a Happy 4th of July

Collapse -
A Happy 4th to you
by JP Bill / July 1, 2008 3:12 AM PDT

I'm Canadian and I'll have a Happy 1st

Good luck on your search

JP Bill

Collapse -
Well a Happy 1st to you as well!
by ltfons / July 1, 2008 3:39 AM PDT
In reply to: A Happy 4th to you

JP.... guess what? Du'h! I can't believe the fix for this was so simple... yup, I got it looking correct!
All I did was right click to get to Properties, them went to "Themes", and click to change the theme.... EUREKA! All colors and text returned to the Add/Remove window.
It's really funny how some issues can be right under ones nose and we start thinking in a complicated manner! So buddy, this has been one long Merry Go Round! And for future referance a good learning experience.
Your help in this, made me think and re-think, until things got fixed.
Much thanx...
Hay I'm in New Mexcio, but was born in Brooklyn NY... a Disabled Nam Vet ... but still young at heart
Be well
LTFons (Larry)

Collapse -
RE: think and re-think,
by JP Bill / July 1, 2008 4:03 AM PDT
In reply to: A Happy 4th to you

Think of all the other things we learned while looking for a solution.

Take Care

JP Bill

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?