General discussion

No color from Epson C84

I'm running XP home and recently replaced all the color cartridges in my C84 at the same time. The next time I printed I got no color ink on the page. I've tried reseating the cartridges several times. I've cleaned the nozzles about 6 times. I've left the printer turned off overnight. I still can't get any color ink on the paper. The printer utility recognizes the cartridges and shows them all as being full. Any ideas on what to try next?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: No color from Epson C84
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: No color from Epson C84
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Do tell.

Does the test print work? You didn't tell. Just a FYI, my C80 did the same a few months back. It's dead and gone. Repair costs more than a new printer.

Bob

- Collapse -
Bad test page

No...test page does not print either. I was afraid that it might be dead. I've only had it 18 months.

- Collapse -
Next... the self test.

"Epson Stylus C84

Q:

Is there a printer self test to determine if a problem is caused by the printer?
A:

Yes, you can run a printer check to determine whether a problem comes from the printer itself or some other source."
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/support/supDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&infoType=FAQ&oid=23953&prodoid=36033903&foid=34546

"Running a Printer Check

You can run a printer check to determine whether a problem comes from the printer or some other source.

1. Turn off your printer and computer.
2. Disconnect the printer's interface cable.
3. Load letter-size paper in the printer.
4. Hold down the paper button, then press and release the power button. Continue holding down the paper button until the power light starts to flash, then release it.

A test page prints showing the printer's ROM version number, an ink counter code, and a nozzle check pattern. (If the pattern has gaps, you need to clean the print head as described in Cleaning the Print Head.)
* If the test page prints, the problem probably lies in your software settings, interface cable, or computer, or your software may not be installed correctly.
* If the test page doesn't print, you may have a problem with your printer.

Try the suggestions in Setup and Software Installation Problems. If nothing works, contact your dealer or EPSON as described in Where To Get Help.
5. Turn off the printer, reconnect the interface cable, then turn on your printer and computer.
"

- Collapse -
Hardware problem...

It looks like you have problem with the hardware like my C84 too.

I think its usually caused by a failing print head assembly or mainboard Assembly. You "may" need to replace the printhead.

There's another possibility that a build-up of dried ink, dust, dirt, lint and hair that can sometimes cause the "Printhead Nozzles" to fire crooked and that can cause a colored line to appear.

You can try this one first:
http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/nozzle/index.asp

But, generally speaking, cleaning will not usually help if it is a hardware/parts problem.

CNET Forums

Forum Info