Computer Help forum

General discussion

No Boot Sound and No display but do have power

by sandee_acabado / April 14, 2009 2:58 PM PDT

I have purchased a desktop computer and I've used it for only a year then my system crashed. The last time I've boot my system it powerded on but did not make any boot sound except the cpu fan, the hard drives also run and the optical mouse did also have power but the keyboard did not show any light even when I pressed the num lock key and the scroll lock keys.

My desktops specification: intel core duo, 2Gig ddr2 RAM, 256mb ddr HIS radeon excallibur 9550 display driver, windows xp home edition, and two hardrives 80 gig and the other is 20 gig.

I've already tried installing my my video card to a friends desktop and it worked accordingly and as with the 2 gig ddr2 RAM is brand new and been tested by the store provider.

Is it the mother board or something else?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Boot Sound and No display but do have power
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Boot Sound and No display but do have power
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have you tried..
by FrankQC / April 14, 2009 3:02 PM PDT

For troubleshooting monitor issues I plug in my computer to an external monitor (through HDMI or VGA, where applicable). If the monitor works and the display gets through then it's something wrong w/ your computer's hardware.

If plugging your computer to a TV works -- you should try downloading the newest BIOS version for your computer. Can't hurt.

Just my two cents,
Frank.

Collapse -
Tried it already
by sandee_acabado / April 14, 2009 4:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Have you tried..

thanks for the suggestion Frank,but it was the first thing that occured into my mind but still no display only thing I hear are those buzzing sound of the fans.

Collapse -
Still in warranty?
by FrankQC / April 14, 2009 4:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Tried it already

Your machine.

Collapse -
Only for a year...
by sandee_acabado / April 16, 2009 10:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Still in warranty?

warranty is no longer in effect. the funny part my destop only worked for a year then boom the machine broke down with the warranty already done.

Collapse -
Ok.
by FrankQC / April 16, 2009 10:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Only for a year...

Since it is not in warranty, maybe you should open your Desktop and clean out all of the dust in it (Since you hear some buzzy sound).

And yea, I bet they make the desktops for a year so when the warranty is void you buy a new one Silly

Collapse -
haha
by sandee_acabado / April 16, 2009 1:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Ok.

those were sure buzzing but they we're nomal for the cpu fans. i did all i have to do dusted everything out. disconnected and reconnected ever part. i even did what a friend told me to remove the RAM and wait for some continious buzz but it turned out to nothing.

Collapse -
Well...
by FrankQC / April 16, 2009 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: haha

When I had that problem I went to Best Buy or Futureshop.. I forget.. (Since I still had my warranty) and they sent it back to HP and there was a problem with the hard drive (too fragmented) and the monitor (the back of the LCD was broken).. so. Sorry.

Frank.

Collapse -
question
by sandee_acabado / April 16, 2009 1:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Well...

if so we could have the same problem, though i have a question about the lcd monitor you have, did the power just blinked and blinked? coz i think i could no have a problem with the fragmented ones i ussually defrag monthly...

yes i should take it to a professional, might spend on wrong things.

i was really planning to buy a new main board but its hard to look now for a ddr slot for video drive. all are selling ddr2 and ddr3 this days.

Collapse -
My monitor..
by FrankQC / April 16, 2009 2:15 PM PDT
In reply to: question

It would work for 2 seconds then it would just turn pitchblack (like it was turned off) and didn't want to work.

The only way I got display was through HDMI or VGA to my TV.... and I was using a laptop so I can't just replace the monitor haha.

There are high chances we have had the different problems though.

Collapse -
warranty
by sandee_acabado / April 16, 2009 2:32 PM PDT
In reply to: My monitor..

i just wish they had a renewal of warranty haha. now im on my own spending money just to replace the bad ones and for the service fees. and i hope they give a discount in the first place i bought it from them.

Collapse -
I doubt it haha
by FrankQC / April 16, 2009 2:38 PM PDT
In reply to: warranty

Usually for computers or whatever that costs a lot (300 and up), I usually get the 3 year one haha.. just in case these things happen.

After 3 years you're bound to have it broken and thus a replacement haha...

But yeah check around to see if one of your friends is a technician, he might hook you up.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.