No boot

by BeowulfKadmus / August 16, 2004 5:12 AM PDT

Specs
A7N8X-E motherboard
512MB CMX3200 Corsair RAM
Geforce4 TI 4200
AMD Athlon 2600+
Windows 2000 Pro

I hope someone might be able to help me with this. About 4 days ago my computer froze twice, the third time I restarted it would not go pass the POST screen, the one that shows A7N8X-E Deluxe screen. I decided to clean out my computer with compressed air I had. I removed most components to clean them. After putting them back and turning up my computer now I couldn't see the screen or anything and there was no beep. I'm not sure if I damaged something or something else is to blame. I resetted my CMOS and still wasn't able to see anything on screen, the fan from my video card doesnt spin but works fine in this current computer and fan spins. I don't know what else to try or to have one of the parts be replaced. Please if anyone can help me with this problem.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any chance that the Video card needed extra power
by Ray Harinec / August 16, 2004 5:41 AM PDT
In reply to: No boot

and you forgot to plug that into the card????

Also AGP card slots are a little difficult to fully seat the card into.

Collapse -
Re: Any chance that the Video card needed extra power
by BeowulfKadmus / August 16, 2004 5:48 AM PDT

I don't understand what you mean? I also currently put in a Nvidia Vanta card(really really old cheap piece of crap that came with this compaq) and still nothing. No beep no screen, not lovely post message
:(.

Collapse -
So probably ...
by Kees Bakker / August 16, 2004 6:43 AM PDT

something on the motherboard broken (and there's a lot of electronics on the motherboard, including memory and CPU). You can try to remove/disconnect everything except motherboard and speaker and listen for any beeps. Then add the video, keyboard, mouse, hard disks, modem, network card, USB card, etc, until you find the culprit among them.
If no beeps professional repair might be necessary.

Kees

Collapse -
Re: So probably ...
by BeowulfKadmus / August 16, 2004 7:09 AM PDT
In reply to: So probably ...

OK I took out the CPU lol and when I turned it on it said "NO CPU installed". Going to try it with the cpu now.

Updated: Tried it with the CPU motherboard only on and no beep. What could this mean? My CPU is damaged or my motherboard? Argh what a pain in the butt.

Collapse -
Was there any memory in the mobo??? Did
by Ray Harinec / August 16, 2004 8:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: So probably ...

you leave the case speaker connected????

When you took the CPU out, did you separate it from the HSF??? Then when you put ot back did you completely clean the CPU and HSF surface of thermal paste nd then put a new very thin coating of theermal paste back????

Collapse -
Re: Was there any memory in the mobo??? Did
by BeowulfKadmus / August 17, 2004 4:06 AM PDT

I didn't clean or put any new thermal paste, maybe I should? Well anyways I didnt have the memory in, but then I put it in and no boot again.

Collapse -
If with the system stripped down
by Ray Harinec / August 17, 2004 6:15 AM PDT

to Power Supply only plugged into the mobo,the CPU with HSF and a stick of memory, the front panel connections and the speaker connected. [Absolutely nothing else] And if the system normally gave a beep at startup when it was working and now gives no beeps at all you are simply down to four things; P.S, mobo, CPU, or Memory. You can substitute memory if you had more than one stick. [The fact that you removed the CPU and then put it back in is a little scary, unless you have done this many times before.]

My guess [ONLY A GUESS} is that you zapped something by an ESD when you got into the system to disconnect and use the compressed air. I assume that it was dry air [moist air moving rapidly can build up a static charge, like the minuteman missle that blew up passing through a cloud with a missing ground connection].

I hope that you are aweare that in an ATX system when shutdown by Windows or by the front power switch still has 5 volt logic power applied to the system. You can only remove this by unplugging the AC input to the supply or turning the PS off by the switch on its rear [if it has one]. Failure to remove that voltage, or failure to follow proper ESD precautions can zap things.

The other possibility is that you turned the PS off and simply forgot to turn it back on. LOL

Another possibility would be leaving the BIOS jumper on the wrong pins. PC Chips mobo won't even allow the power to go on in such a case [the darned things ship with the BIOS jumper wrong].

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.