PC Hardware forum

General discussion

No BIOS beep and PCI expansion slots not working

System: 5 year-old PC: Win98SE, Pentium II 350Mhz, 184 RAM
Drives: Quantum 30GB, HDD Seagate ST-340015A 40GB, HDD Quantum 3.2GB (in no- name removable drawer); LG DVD/CD-RW ROM
Motherboard: PCChips M748MR-spec/Xcel 2000; AMIBIOS 62710 (Burn-in 24 HR AMIBIOS 1995 CY 4621Cool
Modem: Terayon cable with a non-networked computer (pc #2) sharing a Linksys BEFSR 41 Router
Ethernet adaptor: D-Link DFE-530TX
Other: 70 programs in Start Menu.

Background: Recently I installed the Quantum 30GB, the Seagate 40GB and the Quantum 3.2GB (removable drawer). Tried many configurations before getting drives fully recognized, lined up and working. During that process, I ended up with these problems: (1) lost the single **OK** beep from BIOS post; (2) the three PCI expansion slots no longer work; (3) no LED on D-Link adaptor; (4) no internet connection and; (5) nothing re: D-Link adaptor shows up in Device Manager.

I probably fried or disturbed something on the motherboard. However, all other programs seem to be working.

Self help: This Forum and Google gave me several repair ideas. Electrical troubleshooting beyond my skill level but I did reseat the memory as well as the D-Link and did a general check for loose connections and debris. Tried a functioning ethernet adaptor card in each PCI slot ? no luck. Verified BIOS enabled for Plug&Play but new hardware not recognized. Manual attempts to re-install the D-Link adaptor driver programs end up with a message to ...**shutdown the machine and install the adaptor**. At the moment the D-Link adaptor is in PC#2 and working just fine.

Questions: No problem if I just ignore lack of BIOS **OK** beep or will other problems showup? Any way of getting the PCI slots working again or do I need a replacement mother board? I'd sure like to hang onto this old PC for a while longer. TIA for any ideas or comments.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No BIOS beep and PCI expansion slots not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No BIOS beep and PCI expansion slots not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: No BIOS beep and PCI expansion slots not working

In reply to: No BIOS beep and PCI expansion slots not working

The first thing I would do since the hardware has been moved around alot is boot up into safe mode and go to Device Mgr. Click the plus marks in front of all of the hardware (except System category) and look for duplicate or multiple entries under each category.

If you find any, remove ALL entries for that piece of hardware not just the duplicates and reboot the computer. Windows will again find the hardware and only put one entry back in.

Then get out your motherboard cd and reinstall all of the drivers from that cd. I would think as far as no beep goes when you boot up since you're not having any 'problems' that you probably bumped the connector loose from the pin(s). I actually have had a couple of boards that gave no beeps ever on boot unless something was wrong like the ram or video card was an issue, but since yours beeped before, a loose or disconnected pin connector is probably the answer.

TONI

Collapse -
Don't think that this is the problem

In reply to: No BIOS beep and PCI expansion slots not working

but with all that hardware, you should be getting a Power Supply with a little higher wattage output.

You DO NOT need one of the new ATX 12V units with the second 12 volt connector on a separate set of rails because your old mobo will not be able to use that extra power [no connector on the moboo for it].

Your CPU doesn't tax the supply, it is the other stuff that you had added.

Did you try to overclock?? If you overclock the memory bus speed it also increases the clock rate of the PCI bus proportionally. Then some PCI cards won't run at the higher clock rate [and some will].

Normal PCI speed is 33 MHz.

That vintage computer may have the old PS where the PS fan pulls air in and exhausts over the CPU per the original Intel spec [sounds stupid BUT mine has one, but it is about 7 years old Asus P2l97 mobo]]. Most computer mfr's and power supply mfr's changed the supplies to exhaust the air out long before Intel revised the spec to exhaust the air into the room.

Collapse -
Re: Don't think that this is the problem

In reply to: Don't think that this is the problem

Toni and Ray - I appreciate your ideas and comments. I'll get a good night's rest and get started on them tomorrow morning. Will post what I come up with. Thanks very much.

Bocao

Collapse -
No BIOS beep and PCI expansion slots not working

In reply to: Re: Don't think that this is the problem

Toni: I cleaned out six sets of duplicates in several categories and rechecked all connectors.

Ray: I disabled the Seagate 40GB and the Quantum 3.2GB (removable drawer) to see if that made a difference re: power. Previously never tried to overclock. Original/current setting in BIOS shows 32.5%. Checked air exhaust with thin tissue strip...definitely blows outward.

Beep/PCI slots still dead. I think I?ll haul it to a repair shop tomorrow and see what they can do Thanks much and I sincerely appreciate all the help you give to us. Bocao

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.