Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No Audio/System Sounds On My Computer

by inneedofhelp / April 28, 2005 6:52 AM PDT

Hello! I have a Compaq 5102US Presario computer with Windows XP. For some odd reason, I went to play a song from Itunes and found that I have no sound. The file plays, but no sound is coming from my speakers. There are also no system sounds either. I have checked the drivers, volume control and made sure that the speakers on plugged in correctly. However, I still can't hear anything. I even tried to plug in headphones and still can't hear anything. I have tried the troubleshooting approach with device manager, but all the drivers seem to be working properly. Can anybody help? Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No Audio/System Sounds On My Computer
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No Audio/System Sounds On My Computer
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things to try.
by Stan Chambers / April 28, 2005 7:19 AM PDT

Have you tried uninstalling the device in Device Manager? I would uninstall then reboot and let XP install the driver.
If you have integrated audio, check in the bios to see that it is enabled.
If you have a pci sound card, open the case and reseat the card in the slot.
Best of luck

Collapse -
No Luck!!!
by inneedofhelp / April 28, 2005 5:15 PM PDT
In reply to: Things to try.

Hi Stan,
Thanks for the reply. I tried uninstalling the Soundmax card and rebooted the computer. Still no luck. How do I check in the bios section? Thanks!

Adam

Collapse -
You need to enter setup while the computer is booting
by glb613 / April 28, 2005 8:25 PM PDT
In reply to: No Luck!!!

For some computers you press the delete key repeatedly during the boot process. For others, it is one of the function keys. With one of my computers, I must press the F12 key. Once you enter the BIOS or setup, toggle between the settings until you find your onboard sound. If it is disabled, enable it. If you want to replace it with a sound card, disable it. Shutdown the computer, install a sound card, reboot, install the drivers and software and you should have sound. Depending on your use, replacing the onboard sound with a sound card can give you better performance.

Collapse -
Any other steps???
by inneedofhelp / April 29, 2005 2:03 AM PDT

I tried going into set-up mode, but everything seemed to be enabled or auto detection. I also took the cover off and looked to see if anything "looked disconnected or loose." I didn't see anything unusual. However, I didn't feel compelled to go in and start touching everything. I am not exactly sure where the sound card goes or if it is part of the motherboard. I am beginning to think that it is something more serious. Anybody have any ideas? Everything else runs great with the computer. I have checked for viruses with Ad-Ware and nothing comes up. Getting FRUSTRATED!!! Thanks!

Adam

Collapse -
Soundmax
by Stan Chambers / April 29, 2005 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Any other steps???

Adam, sorry that didn't work for you. As glb noted, it may be that the onboard sound has quit working. It's very easy to install a pci sound card. The pci slots are the long white slots on the motherboard. You will need to check to see if you have an empty slot where you can install a sound card. If so, here's a site with good prices on basic sound blaster cards.
http://www.tigersurplus.com/
Just scroll down the page to Sound Cards. The first one on the list would do the job for you. At that price, you can go wrong. I've used many of these and they do a very good job for basic sound. You may want to go the the creative labs website and download the newest version of the driver for xp.
Best of luck

Collapse -
Thanks for the info!
by inneedofhelp / April 29, 2005 11:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Soundmax

Thanks Stan and GLB for your info. I'll try the web site. No luck with any audio yet! Adam

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?