TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

No audio out from Samsung TV while playing DVDs?

by snoopy2 / April 15, 2005 10:19 AM PDT

i just got a Samsung HL-P5067W DLP TV. i hooked up my Sony DVD progressive scan player directly to it with a component video cable for the video and a standard patch cord for the audio. i then connected a patch cord from the TV's audio out jacks to my AV receiver's input jacks. the sound through my audio system is great except that, when i play DVDs, the TV does not send out any signal through the output jacks. i RTFM and it says, "Note: It is available only in RF, Video, and S-Video modes." what does that mean? that if i connected my DVD player to the TV with the composite or S-video cable, that i'd get audio output? if i used a Y-cable to split out the audio output of the DVD player and plug directly into my receiver, would sound quality suffer? thanks. very confused here.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No audio out from Samsung TV while playing DVDs?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No audio out from Samsung TV while playing DVDs?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I am a bit confused.
by Art / April 15, 2005 4:17 PM PDT

You say it sounds great yet the dvd has no sound; so what sounds great?

I don't know how the connections are on your samsung but I had one where the input audio must be conneected to the same area as the components connection. Have you try making the tv audio output (MONITOR) connections to the a/v reciever, (if there is one available)?

Collapse -
sorry for the confusion...
by snoopy2 / April 15, 2005 10:54 PM PDT
In reply to: I am a bit confused.

the DVD's audio out is connected to my TV's audio-in associated with the component-in jacks as you describe. when i am watching OTA TV, the sound comes out of the TV's rear audio jacks and into my receiver which i use in dolby pro logic to drive my center, front and rear speakers and it is fine. but, when i am watching a DVD, the sound will only come out of the TV's speakers.

Collapse -
Why not straight
by Oil_Tan / April 15, 2005 5:15 PM PDT

into the receiver in the first place?

Collapse -
digital cables
by sears tv guy / April 15, 2005 10:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Why not straight

try using a digital fiber optic or digital coaxil from the DVD player to the reciever and you will get much better sound anyways. I'm suer your reciever probably has one of each and your dvd player should have one or the other.

Collapse -
it is an older receiver
by snoopy2 / April 15, 2005 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: digital cables

i have an older harmon kardon AVR25II which does not have video inputs and only analog sound inputs.

Collapse -
reason...
by snoopy2 / April 15, 2005 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Why not straight

the reason is because i don't want to have the receiver on everytime someone just wants to watch a DVD. i did that before and my wife or young kids (who don't care one wit about sound quality) hated it. connecting the DVD player directly to the TV and then the TV audio output to my receiver allows the rest of my family to just watch something easily but allows me to have full home theater sound when i want it.

Collapse -
Do this then
by Oil_Tan / April 16, 2005 12:21 AM PDT
In reply to: reason...

Get a pair of ok bookshelf speakers and use B speaker input. Running your amp wont hurt it, I leave mine on for weeks at a time. In 30 years using my third amp.

Collapse -
found out the answer!
by snoopy2 / April 19, 2005 2:52 AM PDT

well, good news and bad news. the good news is that i found out the reason behind my "problem". the bad news is that it was what i had suspected all along: the samsung's audio and video out ports are shut off when the component video jacks are in use. according to the samsung tech, they did this so you couldn't copy DVDs. the little blurb in the manual meant what it said but i wish it were made more clear.

Collapse -
hehe..I'll accept the answer but...
by Art / April 19, 2005 10:35 AM PDT
In reply to: found out the answer!

I ain't buying it. Do you copy dvd through the tv? I don't.

As Oil_tan pointed out; you can always get the audio from the AV output in the dvd player.

Collapse -
and that is what i've done...
by snoopy2 / April 20, 2005 1:58 AM PDT

i bought a couple of Y-adapters and connected it to my DVD player's audio output jacks. one set goes to the TV and the other goes into my receiver...works okay but i liked the idea of controlling the volume via the TV's volume control.

i didn't understand Oil_tan's suggestion but i thought it was completely different. am i missing something here?

Collapse -
Audio Out
by mmolnar / April 20, 2005 2:15 AM PDT

Thats right we dropped samsung after we started discovering problems like that. Audio WILL not come out of the audio out if it goes in component. The best thing you can do is bypass the audio on the tv and go directly from the dvd player to the receiver

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!