Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

No audio OTA with Hitachi HDTV

by whatzitnow / December 12, 2007 10:16 AM PST

I have a Hitachi 42HDS69 HDTV, pretty basic setup (no audio receiver, no cable box, just a DVD via the HDMI) with an outdoor antenna feeding into the antenna jack. I get great picture on all local OTA broadcasts, but frustratingly, no audio on three of the HD channels in my area: CBS, ABC, and UPN. It wasn't always this way but these channels have been sound-less for several months now it seems. Audio is fine on all the other HD channels.

Anyone have any clues as to whether this could be a problem with my set or is it with the tv station? It would seem highly improbable that three separate tv stations would have no audio track and for so long. At the same time, why would my set only have this problem with three of the HD channels and be fine with the others? I am stumped.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No audio OTA with Hitachi HDTV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No audio OTA with Hitachi HDTV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No Sound on HDTV OTA stations
by fatboyblake / December 16, 2007 11:09 PM PST

I am experiencing the same problem with all the HDTV stations with the OTA antenna. They were all working fine Sunday morning and then they all went out Sunday afternoon. Standard stations work fine.

I did a signal check and they are all above 83%.

I have a direct antenna hook-up to the 50" Panasonic using terk -55

Fatboy

Collapse -
Hitachi HDTV OTA no sound *Possible Solution*
by heater451 / February 14, 2009 8:09 AM PST

I know this thread is over a year old, but since I haven't seen any previous solutions to this problem, I'm posting for those to follow. . . .

I have a 55VS69A, and experienced the sudden loss of audio on some--not all--of my OTA channels.

The only information that I found on the web led me to updating the firmware--something I would have never thought to do for a television!

I contacted Hitachi support through the website, and they replied with a request for the Model Number, Serial Number, and Software Version running on the TV. After I gave them that, they sent me an MMC card, instructions, and a return envelope. (The MMC card is like one you would use in a digital camera; similar to an SD card).

Basically, you have the TV off, insert the MMC card in the slot in the back, and turn it back on. Then, the Setup menu is navigated to the "Reset the Software" selection, where an "Upgrade Now" selection will be enabled. The process will run over several seconds, and then prompt to unplug the set for 10 seconds or so, and the card should be removed while unplugged. Finally, the card gets put into the pre-paid envelope and returned to Hitachi.

The audio is now working, although I did notice that I can no longer "hide" the input selections that I do not use.

I updated from v.0102.0001, to v.0109.0001.

I have also cross-posted to the Fixya.com site, in case anyone find that thread.

Collapse -
Hitachi 42HDS69 model has no sound on some channels
by zeratul123 / November 15, 2009 5:33 AM PST

Our Hitachi 42HDS69 lost sound on OTA channels 2-1, 7-1, 9-1, and 11-1 gradually. Now, we just have picture and no sound on those channels. Other channels are fine. Our Panasonic downstairs has a crappy antenna but still has everything working great. What's the deal?

Collapse -
NO SOUND from some ATSC broadcasters
by noreaster0 / January 10, 2010 12:39 AM PST

Select broadcaster's in each market transmit data PID's for services like Gemstar(TV Guide)information. Your TV model may be interpreting that data PID as audio resulting in no sound. Dependent on the model, the quick fix has been to switch to the secondary audio channel then back to the primary to get the sound back. The permanent fix is to get a firmware upgrade from the TV manufacturer. It sounds like Hitachi has the solution and Panasonic may already have theirs.

Collapse -
Hitachi reply
by zeratul123 / January 13, 2010 3:50 AM PST

I did send an e-mail to Hitachi after I read the feedback about firmware upgrade. Hitachi replied saying there are many variables (Huh?), and I need to contact their customer service number. As usual, it's not easy to reach! So, I'm stuck except I won't be buying another Hitachi anytime soon. Since the TV is in our bedroom, we have developed a good reading habit. Happy

Collapse -
No audio on OTA channels
by zeratul123 / January 13, 2010 3:56 AM PST

Interestingly, we do get audio on UPN, bit lost them on CBS and ABC only on the primary channels. If I tune to ABC (7-2 or 7-3 in SoCal area), we get great sound. So, switching to secondary channels and back to primary is not the solution for us.

Collapse -
No audio on OTA channels
by noreaster0 / January 17, 2010 9:09 AM PST

I recently heard from an industry associate who had to press the audio button on his Panasonic remote twice to get the CBS HD audio back on. He told me the Panny's can search up to three data sources for sound when tuned to digital channels. Hopefully Hitachi TV's offer a similar option.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!