Computer Help forum

General discussion

no audio device

by dan31623 / May 26, 2008 6:55 AM PDT

Hi, i recently reinstalled xp on my pc and i plugged in the speakers and nothing happens. i've tried playing audio and i've tried my 3 jack sockets. the speakers are buzzing so im pretty sure its not them and the device manager says no audio device. can anyone point me in the right direction? thanx.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: no audio device
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: no audio device
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you install the right drivers?
by Kees Bakker / May 26, 2008 7:03 AM PDT
In reply to: no audio device

I assume you didn't.

Kees

Collapse -
no
by dan31623 / May 26, 2008 7:12 AM PDT

no, i dont know how to. i tried to but i havnt got a clue to be honest.

Collapse -
I have no clue yet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2008 7:15 AM PDT
In reply to: no

Looking at your post I can't tell you what driver to install besides the motherboard, maybe the UAA and then your sound drivers.
Bob

Collapse -
wot do i need to do then?
by dan31623 / May 26, 2008 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: I have no clue yet.

ok so what do i need to do to get the info i need to get the right driver?

Collapse -
"What do I need to do"
by Kees Bakker / May 26, 2008 7:31 AM PDT

To start:

- Tell more about your machine: make, model and/or motherboard and/or soundcard.
- Tell what was on the machine before you installed Windows XP and what CD's/DVD's came with it.
- Tell why you installed Windows XP.
- Tell your experience with PC's.
- Tell what you used to install Windows XP and how you did it.

Kees

Collapse -
ok i'll leave it thanx anyway
by dan31623 / May 26, 2008 7:52 AM PDT
In reply to: "What do I need to do"

ok i'll just leave it because i dont know how to get all that info but thanx anyway.

Collapse -
Sorry, but ...
by Kees Bakker / May 26, 2008 8:02 AM PDT

most of it is essential information to help you, and really needed. Your question at the moment is something like "help me: my car won't start" and not being able to answer any question about it.

All I can suggest now: find a repair shop and let them do it. It won't be free.

Kees

Collapse -
yeah well.....
by dan31623 / May 26, 2008 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry, but ...

im sorry i dont know everything about my computer specs. i cant know my specs if no-one tells how to find them out can i?

Collapse -
It might not be a big deal
by DerfX / May 26, 2008 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: yeah well.....

You said re re-installed WinXP, so you know a bit already. Do you have a CD that came with your computer or soundcard that is separate from the WinXP CD? It might just be a matter of plugging in all the CDs that came with your computer. One of them might have all the stuff on it you need to make everything work like before.

Collapse -
by dan31623 / May 27, 2008 12:01 AM PDT

I do know a fair bit about what im doing but not this sort of thing. im still learning my way around things. heres the story, my brother gave me this pc because he never looked after it and never used any anti-virus software so it got destroyed by trojans and allsorts to the point where it crashed shortly after turning it on, so i borrowed a xp home disk from a freind to try a clean install because the pc has that xp sticker on the side with the product key, so i used that to do it and activated it all properly through the net. it had xp home on it before it got the viruses but my brother used differnt speakers to the ones i want to use now but everything else is the same as it was. it's a packard bell imedia desktop pc with only a 40gb ide hdd and only 64mb sdram, im not sure wot the pcu is. its got a cd rom drive and a dvd rw drive and a floppy. all the soundcard and everything seems to be built into the motherboard. im on my other pc so i can take a look inside the other one to find out more info about the motherboard or whatever else if that would be more helpfull? but you'll have to tell me what to look for tho and where if you can because im not sure. thanx for taking your time to help. Dan.

Collapse -
Have a look at the Packard Bell site for the drivers ...
by Kees Bakker / May 27, 2008 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: .......

if you don't have the CD.

But 64 Mb isn't too much for Windows XP. In fact, it may be too little for a comfortable use. However, you'll manage if it is the original OS.

Kees

Collapse -
i had a look inside......
by dan31623 / May 27, 2008 5:37 AM PDT

at the motherboard and i found a chip with realtek on it, Is that my soundcard? it says on it RTL8100BL. i looked it up and i think i might have found the driver for it. i'll let you know if its the right one or not.

Dan

Collapse -
(NT) See, you can do it!
by Kees Bakker / May 27, 2008 5:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
lol thanx...
by dan31623 / May 27, 2008 5:43 AM PDT

sorry for gettin fraustrated, i wasnt blessed with the best of patience unfortunetly!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?