Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No A Drive

how can i reformat my thinkpad e600 if i dont have an a drive. I need to wipe out my computer and format. I do have a cd drive. I want to reinstall windows methanks in advance

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No A Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No A Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: No A Drive

In reply to: No A Drive

The CD that comes with said laptop is bootable and no diskette is used. Also, my Windows ME Retail CD is bootable.

Why not boot the CD?

In closing, if you don't have the restore CDs, beware you are on the hook to find and supply all the drivers for the machine. Microsoft doesn't do this for you. IBM has most up on their web site and I put such on CDR for use during the install.

Best of luck,

Bob

Collapse -
Why wipe out?

In reply to: No A Drive

Let's be clear that many think they need to wipe out. And that's what they do only to discover that installing Windows from a retail copy of the OS is much more work than they ever expected.

Why not fix the issue?

Bob

Collapse -
Re: Why wipe out?

In reply to: Why wipe out?

i have to fdisk because when i did it i lost 4gb of space. i thought fdisk was the only solution to the problem. My wipe just made my c drive my only space left which was 2gb can you still help! Please! Why can't I get my cd drive to start up with fdisk.
thanks

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Why wipe out?

If you ended up with a 2GB partition then you answered the one question about "LARGE DISK SUPPORT" incorrectly. The answer next time is YES.

Let me comment your story and information is far too light. Why are you leaving out the details?

Bob

PS> Make a bootable CD like you see at http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

Collapse -

Hi thanks for the quick asnwer. I went to the site you said and the site said the cd was for xp and nt. Can i still use it. I wipped out my computer with the internal program from my e600 because i couldn't access my a drive. if i insert the win me cd it installs on top of my old installation. I hope this is enough information.Please help!

Collapse -

Collapse -

Thank you Bob. I discovered that i was not reading all the information at the bottom of the page. It sure does sound confusing. I wish i could do it. It is necessary for me to use a cdrw or an i use a cdr\

Collapse -
I use a CDR, here's why.

I find that not all machines can boot CDRW. More can handle CDR. The UltimateCD I noted has tools to partition as you see fit. So you could prepare the partition just prior to installing ME.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.