Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

No 1280 x 1024 option after re-installing Windows XP

by Amroozi / May 28, 2009 10:15 AM PDT

Hey all!
I need some help with the screen resolution.
After re-installing windows xp, I tried increasing the screen resolution to 1280 x 1024 like the way it was before, but found the maximum has become only 1024 x 768 pixels.
I tried installing the latest software chip thing for my Acer from the CD that came with it and from the internet, but it's still not working!
Can anybody help me?
Thanks a lot!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: No 1280 x 1024 option after re-installing Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: No 1280 x 1024 option after re-installing Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Software chip thing?
by Coryphaeus / May 28, 2009 10:30 AM PDT

Are you talking about the video drivers? Is this a desktop or laptop? Tried updating the driver?

Open Control Panel, System, Hardware tab, Device Manager, Display adapters, double click the adapter, Driver tab, Click Update driver.

Collapse -
still not working!
by Amroozi / May 28, 2009 10:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Software chip thing?

yeah it's showing me an exclamation mark beside both adapters, and i've just updated them twice and restarted the laptop twice, but still the higher resolution isn't showing up!
Any more advices?
(oh and bt software chip thing, i meant the software for the chipset!!)

Collapse -
Both adapters?
by Coryphaeus / May 28, 2009 11:17 AM PDT
In reply to: still not working!

There should only be one. Tell which one it is.

Try this. Right click the desktop and choose Properties. Click Settings, Advanced. Is Color Quality set to highest? On the adapter tab, click List all modes.

Collapse -
hmm
by Amroozi / May 28, 2009 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Both adapters?

Okay: There's one Display adapter that has under it 2 "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family". Both of those two has an exclamation mark beside them. Trying to update either through "Automatic installation" doesn't work, though choosing the driver manually, selecting it, and installing it, works, but asks for the computer to restart in order for the settings to work. (But even so, after the restart the exclamation mark is still there and there's still no 1280 x 1024)!
As for the Color quality, it's at its highest: (32bit). Under Adapter Information, everything is <unavailable>. Plus there are a lot of modes but only of those related to 800 x 600 or 1067 x 768!! Grin
Any help??! Grin

Collapse -
still need help with my screen resolution!
by Amroozi / May 28, 2009 5:41 PM PDT
In reply to: hmm

so no one can help me out? Please you guys! Anyone? Happy

Collapse -
Re: resolution
by Kees Bakker / May 28, 2009 6:21 PM PDT

This is either a driver problem or a hardware problem. Clicking on the exclamation mark should provide details.

Most probably you installed the wrong driver. Delete the devices from Device Manager and try again.

Also there might be a monitor.inf file somewhere telling Windows what your monitor is capable of showing, so that it knows which resolutions to present and which not. But I should concentrate on the exclamation marks first.

Kees

Collapse -
no good!
by Amroozi / May 28, 2009 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: resolution

Thanks for your help but it's still not working! What were you saying about a file telling windows its capabilities? Can you tell me more?

Collapse -
Re: monitor.inf
by Kees Bakker / May 29, 2009 5:37 AM PDT
In reply to: no good!

Please google MONITOR.INF to get the idea.

Kees

Collapse -
Try this
by langstons / May 29, 2009 2:06 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: monitor.inf

go into the device manager and delete the devices that show the ! then when windows says it found new hardware have it install the drivers from your original driver disk you got with your PC then from that point you can update them if needed. if that doesnt work pls post your PC specs and I will see what else can be done.

Collapse -
Try safe mode
by GENE8 / May 29, 2009 6:25 PM PDT

Try booting into safe mode and select the ENABLE VGA MODE option from the menu. Then try to reset your video driver from there.

Collapse -
Video Driver Issue
by waytron / May 29, 2009 7:49 PM PDT

This is most likely a Video driver issue, Go to www.acer.com and to the download section to download the latest drivers for your computer. Watch out, because Acer is known for providing the the wrong drivers on their website. I have run into bad Acer drivers twice this week alone.

Collapse -
Thanks for you help, but still..
by Amroozi / May 30, 2009 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Video Driver Issue

Sorry for replying lately, and thank you all for your aid!
Though unfortunately, nothing is working. But I just noticed something that might help identify the problem: the Device status for the display adapter is "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)"
Could this lead anywhere?
Oh and langstons, my PC specs are:
Pentium 4 1.86GHz, 0.99GB of RAM
80GB Hard Drive
Windows XP Home Edition SP3
(Display monitor type:) Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Truly appreciate it if anything comes up with you!

By the way, it occured to me that the hardware itself has malfunctioned and needs to be changed, but the wierd thing is that it works fine with Windows Vista and the screen resolution can go up to 1600 x 1200 with Vista! I don't want Vista though coz my computer can't handle it (It becomes too slow)..
Oh and yeah i remember! I want to increase the resolution to 1600 x 1200 not 1200 x 1024!! lol..

Thanks all for your help though! Grin

Collapse -
I read these posts again and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 30, 2009 10:22 PM PDT

It looks to me as if you have some machine that came with Vista and you are trying to install XP. Today's hardware may not have XP drivers or the drivers are done to the point they work but barely.

After so many posts why wasn't the make and model of this machine given as well as the full story?
Bob

Collapse -
My bad!
by Amroozi / May 31, 2009 10:37 PM PDT

My God! I never thought it might matter! Originally, it had Vista, but then I went back to XP. Now I THINK I remember that the XP had the higher screen resolution setting, but come to think of it, i'm not that sure! So long story short, my hardware itself cannot function to its max with XP, but only with Vista?! lol..
Well so thanks for all your help guys, and I apologize for wasting your time in a long and wasteful "dilemma"! Thanks again Grin

Collapse -
Thank you. Now what to do next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 1, 2009 12:22 AM PDT
In reply to: My bad!

What you need to do is to start a new discussion (here or anywhere will do.)

The missing detail and why I can't offer any direct help is the make, model of the machine. It is best to just tell that you want to install XP (and say that's done) but you need the drivers for that machine.

In some cases like HP you have to ask HP. Here's an example: http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7587_102-0.html?threadID=271360#2699006

Notice how the driver install order matters as well as the drivers on not on a web page but a FTP server?
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) well done Bob, never crossed my mind
by jonah jones / June 1, 2009 3:00 AM PDT
Collapse -
Video Drivers
by langstons / May 31, 2009 10:45 AM PDT

Well if it works fine with vista then its not a hardware problem its a driver problem and since allot of video cards even integrated ones have a Nvidia driver and not knowing what video chipset is in your PC you should at least go to www.nvidia.com and use the driver download to let it look for a driver for your card and see if that gets it fixed for you but at any rate I can tell you this its definetly a video card driver issue you just need to find the right one. ohh PS video card drivers are not usualy included in the chipset driver pack they are 2 different animals.
I also could use a few more spec's like video card model and who made your PC or motherboard and its model.

Collapse -
I guess i'm starting to get the picture
by Amroozi / June 4, 2009 12:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Video Drivers

My laptop is an Acer 5135.. And i'm not sure, but the video card's type is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (though if this is not it, then i'm not sure where i'm supposed to look :D)!
Hey i've been told by my friends that installing a driver for another type may make it work! Anyone knows anything about this?
Oh and i intend to open another Forum in a bit Bob Grin Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
Unless we have the maker supply the driver
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2009 12:16 AM PDT

You get to do more work and google up EVEREST and hope it identifies what's in the machine.

Collapse -
The solution was sooo easy!!!
by Amroozi / June 4, 2009 11:47 AM PDT

I can't believe I wasted your time guys through all this nonesense and I can't believe that it actually took me this long to figure it out!! Grin
I was so focused on getting the latest update for the driver, it never occured to me that an older version of the driver would do!! So I googled the driver for XP and it showed me an older version of it. Now I've ran across this version many many times so far, but thought the latest was better, but this time I tried it and BAM!! There it is.. all fixed and working perfectly with XP Grin looool
Well thanks again everyone, and I hope this forum aids someone as idiotic as me in the future!
PEACE!

Collapse -
Thanks for the report.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2009 11:53 AM PDT

My method is to research with EVEREST and then if it is an Intel chipset I go there but your method is GREAT!

Collapse -
"Newer" may not mean "better"!
by Amroozi / June 8, 2009 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the report.

Well I tried Everest, but I found it a bit complicated, and even though, it referred me to get the latest update of the driver!!
That's just to show you that "newer" doesn't neccessary mean "better" if you're trying to operate a not-so-new device! lol..
Thanks for the help again! Grin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?