Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Nix Indexing

by Bob20Midview / February 10, 2007 6:42 AM PST

I'm running Windows XP Home SP2 and read an article in a PC magazine regarding stopping or reducing the frequency that the Indexing Service performs.
The article states that a home user like myself could stop it or reduce the continuous searching and cataloging which can potentially bog down a slower computer system and cause unnecessary wear and tear on the hard drive.

Also, if it is reduced or stopped, will a download take longer to install?

I would like everyone to give me your opinion or thoughts on this matter.
Thanks, Bob

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nix Indexing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nix Indexing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As the article implys, if anything
by Ray Harinec / February 10, 2007 7:24 AM PST
In reply to: Nix Indexing

the Indexing will slow things down, not speed things up [unless you are searching for a prior item].

This subject has been mentioned for removal by Robert Proffitt and others in numerous threads in these forums.

I do so little with my systems that I have no opinion, I simply disabled it when many magazines said the same when XP first came out years ago.

Collapse -
Same here.
by caktus / February 10, 2007 1:13 PM PST

Seems to slow things down a bit. Been better off with it disabled.

Collapse -
I agree.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 6:09 PM PST
In reply to: Same here.

Indexing is a tool that allows for faster searching of files on the hard drive. Initially indexing takes up a lot of background cpu time as the system indexes all of the files. This can take many days/weeks. Once the major indexing is complete, then the time taking by the background service is less. It indexes the "contents and properties" of files, so that, for instance, if you are looking for all documents on your hard drive that contain certain phrases, Indexing Service helps find them faster.

But most files do not need indexing. They are system files that you will most probably never need to find. For the rest, unless you have 1000's of music/images/videos/documents and you do not have a system for saving files in specific locations, then the service is pretty much a waste of time in my view.

My Indexing Service is disabled.

Mark

Collapse -
Mark, a ?
by caktus / February 11, 2007 4:58 AM PST
In reply to: I agree.

I'm curious as to weather indexing ties up any memory. Thoughts?

Charlie

Collapse -
Good question.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 6:57 PM PST
In reply to: Mark, a ?

Indexing is a service and runs in the background. I believe it's priority is low, so it will not take up much cpu time, and I don't suppose much RAM is needed.

To be honest, I don't know much about it other than what has been said in these forums and the odd article I have read about it.

Mark

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks for the info.
by caktus / February 12, 2007 4:08 AM PST
In reply to: Good question.
Collapse -
Mark. Found some info on it....
by caktus / February 13, 2007 6:36 AM PST
In reply to: Good question.

That it consumes a lot (whatever a lot is) of the Paging file. Sorry, lost the link.

Charlie

Collapse -
So that's virtual RAM then.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 13, 2007 7:30 AM PST

It seems strange though, because I thought of the paging file as a temporary resource or "spill-over" for RAM. Unless there is a specific way for Indexing to access the PF without using RAM.

Strange.

Mark

Collapse -
reply to: So
by caktus / February 13, 2007 2:08 PM PST

Could just be bad info. Apparently the page seemed so insignificant that I didn't bother to save it. I'll try to find it again. But I guess indexing would require [some] type of memory hub. If I'm thinking right and that may be a big if, to index a single file may require a hand-full of bits of memory to assign the file an address when each address reserves four KB's. So, it seems indexing would require a pretty good swatch of memory.

And as I mentioned, "that may be a big if".

Correct me if I'm wrong (there's that if again Wink ) doesn't some indexing occur while the files are in use and in RAM. And couldn't the indexing service be pulling files into memory during the indexing process, though perhaps at a low priority?

Charlie

Collapse -
Found it.
by caktus / February 13, 2007 2:38 PM PST
Collapse -
Ahh, very interesting
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 13, 2007 7:36 PM PST
In reply to: Found it.

Yes that's very good.

I'm sure you're right that some physical RAM must be used, but it seems clear that the PF is paramount in the Indexing Service.

It was interesting the note about Office XP. I've never used Office XP's Search feature and mine shows that Indexing Service is disabled.

Thanks for that.

Mark

Collapse -
RE: about Office XP
by caktus / February 14, 2007 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: Ahh, very interesting

Not familiar with Office XP, but by the link to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/282106/en-us
it sounds like Office XP has two entirely different features to perform [supposedly] fast searching. Unlike MS to just hand things out all willy-nilly. Happy

Charlie

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!