Question

Nits 350 +matte on Dell XPS 13 and outdoor visibility

After 2 months research, I decided I am going to buy dell xps 13 matte screen 8th gen i7. On the internet cannot find real reviews about visibility outdoor, I really need to use the thing in vacation, in sunny places, does somebody has photo, video, experiences to share? Thanks

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Nits 350 +matte on Dell XPS 13 and outdoor visibility
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Nits 350 +matte on Dell XPS 13 and outdoor visibility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
I'm going with not going to be happy.

I find outdoor use limited to shaded areas. For sunlight readable you get into displays that have pretty awful color rendition and low sales due to this and being a niche item.

No, there is no affordable correct color sunlight readable technology today.

I'm going to decline hunting down a picture of the XPS 13 in sunlight because it's where it will not be a good experience. You would be very unhappy.

- Collapse -
Yes but these pictures show a good visibility

I found 2 pics on this review, that show one case that you take the sun back the screen outdoor, and actually you cannot see, and another one, not shadowed but just changing the angulation of your notebook so that the sun is not back to you, and I see a perfect visibility to be outside
what are your thought about? Are these pics possibly fake?
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9360-FHD-i7-Iris-Laptop-Review.262584.0.html

- Collapse -
I disagree.

The InTheSun pictures show glare and dark images. I don't consider this sunlight readable. In the shade it's probably fine.

- Collapse -
Fair enough

and of course thank you for your interest.

The photos looks more than acceptable to me, I have to develop, and occasionally surf on the internet. for reading I will have my eink reader, to do photo editing I will not do outdoor.

Said that I am wondering if an Apple glossy with 456 nits is worse than a matte screen computer with 350 nits. I think so, even if there are some new anti glare screens i read that allow to not reflect too much glossy screens. I bought the pc anyway, looking forward to see

- Collapse -
Given outdoors, glossy could be

"I can't find a good angle."

In the shade, outdoors is much less demanding. BUT it's your choice to make. As I've been around since pre-Microsoft days and heard too many complaints about in the Sun usage, my view is simply sunlight readable is a niche item but still off color compared to where most folk use their PCs. (Indoors.)

- Collapse -
Climate change

I live in the Netherlands where the sunny days are increasing a lot, I came from South Italy where these days you get sun almost every day. If I have to stick indoor I use a a laptop big. If i need portability I want readable screens. People are not geek as us, they do not know and use tablets to read books before to go to sleep, some of them even phones. I think a good solution could be to use a detachable matte film, an expensive one as the one from 3m, so that glossy screen can be outside readable.

- Collapse -
In closing.

I really like Notebookcheck reviews. They do reviews I can use.

It seems you've sold yourself here. But imagine if I agreed in spite of how many times I've heard folk gripe about in the Sun use on claimed sunlight readable displays. As you imagine I can't give you assurance it will be fine.

My background is also in defense work where sunlight readable displays were used. The specs would always include exacting definitions of what this was. Including the reflection and angle issues. Here I find most expect same reading performance as in the office. Which is not possible today for many reasons.

- Collapse -
true, agree

is a thin line between what the market wants and what market is not aware it wants. a double 2 in 1 glossy, kinda color eink techonologies would be fantastic Happy but I bought the xps 13 8th gen, 1.2 kg, usb c port charger, fair enough for portability.

- Collapse -
Yes but these pictures show a good visibility

I found 2 pics on this review, that show one case that you take the sun back the screen outdoor, and actually you cannot see, and another one, not shadowed but just changing the angulation of your notebook so that the sun is not back to you, and I see a perfect visibility to be outside
what are your thought about? Are these pics possibly fake?
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-13-9360-FHD-i7-Iris-Laptop-Review.262584.0.html

- Collapse -
Answer
Get a screen filter

Like a polarized, which allows the person in front to see what's on the screen but not those off to the side. It should also help with shuttin gout some of the sunlight except for direct to you, the user. 3M privacy screen. Antiglare protector.

- Collapse -
expensive and could need workaround

I also suggested yesterday this solution, but even if is not really expensive if solves the issue, the problem is that i risk to buy it and does not fit the xps 13, in amazon for instance they suggest to cut it. Then there are the adhesive area, and I do not like the idea I have to stick outside and put away on darker rooms. different would be if 3m would make an official 13.3 filter for xps due that is a really popular model.

- Collapse -
EDIT official from DELL
- Collapse -
they are sold as "privacy" item, but...

...it works also in reverse for blocking glare and excess sunlight, unless the sun is directly behind you coming over shoulder or head. Even then, it cuts down on the glare.

CNET Forums

Forum Info