Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

NIS System scan not recognised.

I use NIS 2008 and have a full system scan scheduled for every Friday evening and this is carried out without any problems. So why is it that every Thursday when I turn on my computer there is a warning that a Virus and Spyware scan has not been completed? The scan schedule allows for weekly scans so why do I get a warning after 6 days? Any suggestions please.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NIS System scan not recognised.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NIS System scan not recognised.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Quickscan and Version of NIS 2008?

In reply to: NIS System scan not recognised.

Hi,

Norton 2008 also have the option to run a Quickscan each time new definitions has been received.

The alert that you are seeing is maybe referring to the Quickscan which is known to check every 5 days, if the task has been run or not.
To determine if this is happening to your system, note the "Last run" date for Quickscan.
When the warning the Virus and Spyware scan has not completed occurs... allow it to run the said scan. Review the "Last run" date for Quickscan for changes. If the date changed after the scan or while the scan is running... it means the above Quickscan task triggers the 'warning' and not the Full System scan.

To hopefully fix the issue, you might want to do the following:
1. Run LiveUpdate manually to get updates
2. Do a trial & error fix: Uncheck the option to run quickscan. Click OK to apply. Re-check the said option. Click OK to apply.

If it's not the quickscan or if the problem is not solved... please tell us what version of NIS 2008 is installed? Open NIS>Help & Support>About
The new version is Norton Internet Security 2008 v15.5.0.23 (it has bug fixes)
If you have earlier version, you might want to download the new version from their website
You can install on top of existing version but it is recommended to remove old version. Use Norton Removal Tool to remove the old version.
Next, check the version of LiveUpdate. The new version is v3.4.1.234. You can download the new LiveUpdate here.

Collapse -
I have never used Quickscan...

In reply to: Quickscan and Version of NIS 2008?

when new definitions are received and the box in Liveupdate is unchecked. The reason is that when Quickscan runs my computer slows to a crawl. I will check the box and let Quickscan do its stuff but it will be another week before I know whether the warning has gone away. I have version 15.05.0.23 so it would seem that I am up to date. Many thanks for your comprehensive reply. I will report back in due course.

Judesman.

Collapse -
You're welcome!

In reply to: I have never used Quickscan...

I hope the issue will disapper after you've enabled Quickscan.
If in case it will slow down the computer (while it is running a quickscan), you might want let Autofix tool (via NIS>Help & Support) diagnose any issue (e.g. corrupted Quickscan file).

I have it enabled and so far... I have not seen slow down the system while it is doing the quick scan in the background. The said scan is really quick because it will only scan the system against the new definitions it "just" received (not against all the complete definitions).

Collapse -
Thanks for that, I will see what happens at the time..

In reply to: You're welcome!

of the next update.

Judesman.

Collapse -
Donna Buenaventura, a week has gone by and

In reply to: Thanks for that, I will see what happens at the time..

I haven't received the message telling me that the scan has not been completed, in addition the activities record shows that a Quickscan has been completed most days. This must be following checking the Run Quickscan box. So that is good. Many thanks for your help.

Judesman.

Collapse -
(NT) You're most welcome Judesman!

In reply to: Donna Buenaventura, a week has gone by and

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.