Computer Help forum

General discussion

NIS Instalation Problem w/ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT permission

by imagesof / February 10, 2007 8:09 AM PST

I'm trying to install NIS and I get the following message:
"You do not have access to the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT or one of its subkeys. Please change the permissions then launch setup again."
When I use the help I find out that I need to add an "Administrator" and "System"
I tried just adding them, but ran into problems. I then used the system restore to undo my mistake (at the jabbing of my wife). But I'm back at the same problem of adding the "administrator" and "system". I'm using a Dell Inspiron 4150 w/ XP. Any help will be very appreciated. Thanks
Adam

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NIS Instalation Problem w/ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT permission
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NIS Instalation Problem w/ HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT permission
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which operating system?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 10, 2007 10:08 AM PST

First, make sure to uninstall all previous version of Norton and any other antivirus before installing the new one. Have you seen the Symantec article regarding that issue?

Message: "You do not have access to the registry key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT or one of its subkeys. Please change the permissions then launch setup again."

Click Start > Run

In the Run dialog box, type the following text:
regedit

Click OK.

In Registry Editor, in the left pane, click HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT.

On the Edit menu, click Permissions.

In the Groups or user names box, make sure that both Administrator and SYSTEM are displayed.

* If both items are displayed, go on to line 7.
* If either or both are missing, do not continue with this solution until they are added.
We suggest that you contact a computer professional for help with this.

In the Groups or user names box, click Administrator.

In the Permissions for Administrator box, make sure that both Full Control and Read are checked.

In the Groups or user names box, click SYSTEM.

In the Permissions for SYSTEM box, make sure that both Full Control and Read are checked.

Click Advanced.

In the Advanced Security Settings for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT dialog box, check Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown that apply to child objects.

Make sure that Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. . . is not checked.

Click OK until all dialog boxes are closed.

Restart the computer

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
XP and Stuck on Line 6
by imagesof / February 10, 2007 1:22 PM PST

In my permissions it says "everybody". "Administrator" and "System" are missing from the list. I tried using the "add" to put them in, but when I did my computer wouldn't load.
Adam

Collapse -
Strange...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 11, 2007 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: XP and Stuck on Line 6

If you actually placed Administrator and System in the "Permissions" section and it DID NOT load, how did you fix the problem?

Just for reference, on this computer, when done correctly, the "Permissions" list indicates: "Administrator", "System", "Creator Owner", & "Users".

Placing an addition "Permissions" entry in that section should not have anything to do with whether the computer starts up or not. Maybe you should check again.

Remember, when you add both the Adminstrator and System listings, be sure to give them "Full Control" permissions and then click on the "Apply" button, then OK.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.