The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Nintendo Wii classic controller banned - patent trial...

Nintendo Wii classic controller banned - patent trial...

http://tech.msn.com/news/articlepcw.aspx?cp-documentid=8815433&GT1=40000

excerpt:
Nintendo is in fact facing a serious ban on several of the controllers for the Wii as well as GameCube after it lost its legal bid to scuttle a $21 million patent-infringement verdict.
[...]
Here's the skinny on what it actually affects:

* The GameCube or WaveBird controllers, which Nintendo no longer makes.
* The Wii Classic Controller (Nintendo's Charlie Scibetta says the company will still be able to sell it pending Nintendo's appeal).

Here's what it doesn't:

* The Wii Remote (unless paired with the Wii Classic Controller)
* The Wii Nunchuk

Wow...

--S

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nintendo Wii classic controller banned - patent trial...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nintendo Wii classic controller banned - patent trial...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So it basically effects what?

In reply to: Nintendo Wii classic controller banned - patent trial...

pretty much nothing? The classic controller is a joke, and they can continue to make it pending appeal. Am I missing something?

Collapse -
Well, it affects

In reply to: So it basically effects what?

anyone who wants to buy one to play games off the Virtual Console, or anyone that has an interest in playing the older games. Some people might still want GameCube controllers because they prefer them for playing Mario Kart or whatever. Also, according to engadget (see: http://feeds.engadget.com/~r/weblogsinc/engadget/~3/343729980/) a district court judge rejected Nintendo's request for a new trial, so potentially this could lead to a ban on Classic Controllers, WaveBird controllers, GameCube Controllers, and the entire GameCube system no longer being allowed to be sold. May I ask why you think the Classic Controller is a joke?

Collapse -
I have one...its been used exactly once...

In reply to: Well, it affects

I use my the wireless wavbird thing. But again, they can still make the classic controller while they appeal...and they no longer produce the wavbird, so I'm not seeing the impact.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.