Cameras forum

General discussion

nikon dosn't do purple

I recently purchased a nikon 7600 dital camera and we love it alot, but I have come across a problem. I took pictures of my son and he was wearing a navy blue shirt, when I printed it, it came out blue. I thought it was the printer. When i looked on the camera scene it was blue. I went out and took pictures of some very vivid purple flowers and they all came out blue even when I tried different settings. I spoke to a friend who just bought the 7900 and his camera is doing the same thing. We really love the camera but turning navy blue into alomost a royal blue is not cool. Did anyone else experience this.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: nikon dosn't do purple
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: nikon dosn't do purple
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you using a color correction kit?

In reply to: nikon dosn't do purple

Collapse -
I should not have to.

In reply to: Are you using a color correction kit?

everytime I am taking a regular picture of somthing purple I don't feel I should have to use a corrective kit, or have to add the added expense. Today I took a picture of a police officer, his uniform is a dark navy blue. On my camera it is royal blue. A great picture but not true color. If i have to start buying additonal kits to take standard pics, I will just take the camera back.

Collapse -
Yes, you do.

In reply to: I should not have to.

Now that we are not using film and it's process, that is now moved onto your back to accomplish.

This area is fairly well discussed so dig in and see what's up with color correction. It also could be something simple in the camera settings you missed. See if dpreview.com has your camera and compare notes on settings.

Bob

Collapse -
How do the pictures look if you have a place like Ritz print

In reply to: I should not have to.

them? If the color of those prints are off, then you probably want to return the camera. If they are not off, then the camera is probably not at fault. That takes you into an area called color management which can get very complicated.

Collapse -
The Color Purple

In reply to: nikon dosn't do purple

This subject comes up occasionally.

Your camera has an adjustment called "white balance".
the 7600 has 5 settings and a custom setting.

Most likely you are using "auto".

Get the owner's manual out and find out how to change the setting. Try all of the optional settings. If that doesn't fix the problem, learn how to use the custom setting. This usually involves putting a white object in front of the lens while making the adjustment (some people use white coffee filters).

Collapse -
Thank you Snapshot2

In reply to: The Color Purple

I tried all of the settings, but they just made it different shades of blue. I chked the manual and it told me how to adjust the W/B which I did, and now the flower is purple, not the dark purple the flower is, but at least it is now purple. The manual said to put a gray card in front of the camera you said to put a white card. Do you think that would help. thank you again we really did not want to return the camera we really like it.

Collapse -
White Balance

In reply to: Thank you Snapshot2

Actually - a white or grey card should give similar results but usually not exactly the same.

So........give it a try with a gray card, maybe that purple will look even better.

Collapse -
I had trouble once where the white paper was too white. I

In reply to: White Balance

was told this is a problem, and a gray card should be used. Check a camera store for a gray card.

Collapse -
a workaround for a store bought grey card

In reply to: Thank you Snapshot2

from wayyyyyyyyy back when..slit open the box your cereal comes in or the cardboard tube in the roll of kitchen wipes...

Happy

Collapse -
The Color Purple

Snapshot, A coffee filter is ok. The best white card to use is a White Kleenex tissue. A white flower is used next to a Kleenex as a comparison to pure white.
What is used for a pure black card?
Does the Nikon have a color management software package included?
I have a Canon S400 Power Shot. I use Adobe Photoshop to color correct most shots. (Auto Levels plus curves plus color correction if necessary.
Any camera shot will benefit from professional software like Adobe Photoshop or Adobe

Collapse -
Color Purple cont.

Adobe ImageReady is also a thought. Download from Adobe.com. I think it is free.
I had clicked on preview with my last post and it was submitted instantly.
Has any one else noticed preview being submitted? Strange.

Kevin

Collapse -
if memory serves me well

there is no "black card" per se...

the so called "grey card" is in fact the #5 on ansell adams 1 to 9 "zone system" -returns about 20% of reflected light..

it's been a long time, but if it were me, i would 'calibrate' with a grey card approaching the #8 (you have to imagine the picture in shades of grey, and purple would be a "dark grey")

btw, you want a trick for "perfect black"?

you buy a whole bunch of spare blades for your utility knife -the one that has a 4" blade that slides out and is scored for easy breaking- (about 100 will give you a 4"x4" surface area) you stand them on edge and you have a perfect 99.99999999999999999999% light absorbing surface...

jonah "still missing that special 'click' of his Pentax SpotmaticF" jones

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.