Question

Nikon D3300 DSLR camera repair cost justification

I bought a Nikon D3300 camera plus 18-140mm lens (both refurbished) for a total of $600. I got them water damaged and am told repair estimate to be $460. Should I go for repair or hope someone would buy them back on eBay for whatever price they agree on?

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Nikon D3300 DSLR camera repair cost justification
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Nikon D3300 DSLR camera repair cost justification
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
With that damage

They likely have a lot of work to do. So that's over an hour of bench time and you want them to warranty the repair. With things under 1K the issue is always is it worth this much to repair. A lot of times it's just cheaper to replace.

- Collapse -
Had purchased refurb

Well, for me, repair certainly won't exceed the purchasing price. But having bought them refurbished the repair cost would be about 75% of that of purchasing (had I bought them new, I wouldn't have had second thoughts about repairing)

- Collapse -
Answer
Water Damage

What type water, is very important to know.
If it is salt water (ocean or sea) then there is no hope.
It will corrode internally, no service people will touch it.

- Collapse -
Freshwater

It was South Lake Union in Seattle, WA. The water is considered fresh with some salt contamination. I told the repair folks it was freshwater - are they replying on that to give me the estimate or they inspected it as well?

CNET Forums