Cameras forum

General discussion

Nikon Coolmax 3200 or Canon S1IS

I had a Kokak which hasn't worked well since I bought it 2 years ago and it stopped working right yesterday after upgrading to their latest software. The computer will not see the camera and even though I say don't delete the pics off the camera in transfer it tries to transfer to nothing and loses the images. I wanted one with at least 3Megapixels and wanted movie and sound capability. I use it only for personal use and for a website I did for a non profit. Zoom is nice but only had 3x before so not sure how much I would use it. I bought the Nikon coolpix 3200 but I find the movie is grainy. Also in the daylight the screen is hard to see. I like the size. I read allot about the Canon S1IS and heard it has great movie quality. Is the screen better outside? I want to keep the cost under 500 but would go higher in megapixels but can't find one with movie and sound. Any advice because I will need to exchange the Nikon this week if I choose something else?
Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nikon Coolmax 3200 or Canon S1IS
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nikon Coolmax 3200 or Canon S1IS
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Nikon Coolmax 3200 or Canon S1IS

In reply to: Nikon Coolmax 3200 or Canon S1IS

For your present Kodak camera, you should purchase a card reader and forget about hooking the camera to the computer. The card reader is much simpler. The computer treats it as another disk. Use Windows Explorer to move the photos from the card to the computer.

You can find inexpensive card readers here:

http://www.compgeeks.com/products.asp?cat=CAM#Flash%20Card%20Readers

The point-and-shoot Nikon 3200 and the Canon S1IS are about as different as night and day. The Canon has manual overrides for all controls and a big zoom with image stabilization.

If you want more control of your camera at times, go for the Canon. If you need more megapixels, take a look at the Konica/Minolta Z3. 4 meg, 12X zoom, image stabilization and does sound movies.

Here is what customers say about the Canon S1IS:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/read_opinions.asp?prodkey=canon_s1is

Just remember, no digital still camera will take movies as good as you get with a digital camcorder.

Collapse -
Re: Nikon Coolmax 3200 or Canon S1IS

In reply to: Re: Nikon Coolmax 3200 or Canon S1IS

thanks for your advice. I will look at the other camera you mentioned. For the Kodak it has other issues like it won't hold a charge for more than a couple of pictures. It has been a problem since i got it and have had it in to Kodak twice. I want one that is more reliable.
I know a camcorder would be best for movies but I just want some short stuff for myself. I just wasn't impressed with the Nikon and was told the Canon was better.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.