Cameras forum

Question

Nikon 1 J5 or Sony a5100 for videos?

by Mypetitecakes / August 12, 2015 5:38 PM PDT

I was wondering what a better buy would be, the Nikon j5 or the sony a5100? I already have the Canon 60d but I wanted a smaller more compact camera.

The main thing I'm looking for is the autofocus, shallow depth and field , video quality all with the kit lenses.

Which one would you recommend?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nikon 1 J5 or Sony a5100 for videos?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nikon 1 J5 or Sony a5100 for videos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
What you shooting?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2015 5:46 PM PDT

Both are 20+ megapixel cameras. OK for 1080p let's do that math again.
1920x1080 = 2073600 or 2 megapixels. Seems this is Space Balls One going to plaid.

Why 10 times the pixel count for 1080?

Collapse -
Mostly art videos + vlogs
by Mypetitecakes / August 12, 2015 6:19 PM PDT
In reply to: What you shooting?

I usually record speedpaints and thinking about shooting vlogs. I saw someone vlog with the a5100 and i really liked how it had sharp and quick autofocus with a shallow depth and field..i was wondering if the j5 shot the same quality..

Collapse -
OK, what resolution are you shooting?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 12, 2015 6:30 PM PDT

I gave a hint that 20+ MegaPixel (MP) looked to be overkill for video work. Even full 4K video is 8847360 or just under 9 megapixels so are you shooting 4K?

As to sharp, autofocus you need to hit the reviews. If you are shooting I don't need to go over how lighting affects focus speed or that a seasoned videographer often turns of auto focus.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
re: Nikon 1 J5 or Sony a5100 for videos?
by MarkatNite / August 12, 2015 6:47 PM PDT

For "shallow depth and field ... all with the kit lenses", neither.

Generally speaking, kit lenses (with apertures in the 3.5-5.6 range) aren't capable of shallow DoF, especially on a crop (APS-C) sensor, and even more so on a 1" (Nikon CX) sensor. And this is even more true when shooting video since most hybrid still/video cameras further crop the sensor readout area when shooting video.

Also, shallow DoF works against autofocus since precise focus becomes even more critical.

Also, video of "speedpaints and ... vlogs" would benefit from at least some DoF. i.e. shallow DoF would be a detriment.

So, for all of those reasons, I would once again recommend a dedicated video camera.

Having said that, if you are dead set on trying to use an interchangeable lens hybrid photo/video camera, I would recommend you spend your money on another lens (with a fast/bright aperture, at least f2.0 and some ND filters) and an external monitor (and cage, rails, follow focus, etc) for your 60D.

And keep in mind that I shoot video on a Panasonic GH1 and GH2 and Canon T4i(650D) and 70D (and, depending on test results, am also considering adding a Panasonic GX8). So, if anything, you would think I'd be biased toward shooting video on interchangeable lens hybrid photo/video cameras, but I'm advising you against it.

Mark

Collapse -
Thank you so much
by Mypetitecakes / August 12, 2015 7:06 PM PDT

That was incredibly helpful, thanks!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.