HolidayBuyer's Guide

Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Nice sayings

by grandpaw7 / July 10, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nice sayings
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nice sayings
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) excellent wake up call
by MKay / July 11, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Nice sayings
Collapse -
Hi, Grandpaw
by MarciaB / July 11, 2005 2:47 AM PDT

I have been debating how to express my feelings in regard to your post. I do not wish to seem selfish or heartless in response to what you said nor to the image you linked to.

When I hear/read or think of such "sayings" as "all life is precious" and "life is God's gift to you," I think about my family. I think about my children. My 10 y.o. who is so full of life and so healthy and happy. My oldest son, Orion, who was, just 4 weeks ago today, taken from me so suddenly by the God who gave him to me for such a short, sweet time. My loving parents and the love of my life, Michael.

Sometimes, when I am thinking of my precious gifts from God, I also thank Him because I know there are so many in this world who have so much less and who suffer every day. I send prayers for their comfort and for peace.

The little boy in the picture is not forgotten, but when I think of "God's gifts" I think of my own boys and my love for them.

Thank you for sharing, Grandpaw,
and take care,
--Marcia

Collapse -
Who are the heroes?
by grandpaw7 / July 11, 2005 7:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi, Grandpaw

Marcia, gee, I tnink it is very human to be grateful for the good things in one's life. But if thinking about how fortuate we are stops there, if it doesn't motivate us to reach out to the less fortunate, it is very akin to selfishness.

I wish I knew of a more tactful way to respond, but our heroes are not people who spend their time thinking about how fortunate they are; our heroes are people who spend time, and energy, thinking about how unfortunate others are, and then trying to do something about it. I think we need more heroes, such as Doctors Without Borders, Mother Teresa, Ghandi, Martin Luther King, and Jesus. Jesus never praised anyone for thinking about how fortunate they were, but he did praise the Good Samaritan. The world will not get better because people think about how fortunate they are. While praying is fine,it's also very easy and make us feel good at practically no cost to ourselves.

Collapse -
My thoughts
by Angeline Booher / July 11, 2005 8:14 AM PDT

Some years ago there was a lot of media coverage about the drought stricken areas of Africa, and the many people who were dying. Aid was rushed to them from many countries. People do care.

How much those in need got the food may be in question, because some had despots for leaders, and civil wars were breaking out.

I am just as guilty as anyone about focusing my energies on my own. Yet I wonder why so many innocents have to suffer, which reminds me how lucky we are.

I admire those who work in those countries to offer aid, medical care, etc. They certainly believe that life is precious. They have it over me because they are living those nice words.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.