Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

NIC issue

Hi,

I have 2 NIC on my PC (windows 2000). Both of them have consecutive IP address. I have connected them to a hub to which a router (linux box) also is connected.
My problem is one of them shows "A network cable is unplugged" even though it is connected properly. I have added the added the IPs in both teh pcs in hosts file.
However, if I plug the cable directly to the router's NIC, it works fine.

Please help.

Thanks

Regards

Jagdish

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NIC issue
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NIC issue
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"Both of them have consecutive IP address. I have connected"

In reply to: NIC issue

That's an invalid configuration. Disable one NIC and remove that cable on that nic.

Bob

Collapse -
My testing environment requires this type of connection

In reply to: "Both of them have consecutive IP address. I have connected"

Dear Bob,

As per my testing configuration, I required this setup. I modified it slightly.
Now I had two Hubs. Hub A was connected to NIC1 of my PC. NIC1 of the router was also connected to Hub A. PC B (PC B having same configuration as mine; with two NICs)was connected to HUB A via its NIC1. NIC2 of my PC, PC B and the router was connected to HUB B. Now I still see my NIC 2 showing the same error.
Actually there is an applicaiton running on the router which forwards the packets to the PCB.

Collapse -
Looks invalid.

In reply to: My testing environment requires this type of connection

Given the story so far it shouldn't work.

If it does, then what is the question?

Collapse -
Dual NICs

In reply to: NIC issue

I am just curious what you are trying to accomplish? It may be easier to give you advice if I knew what you were trying to do. If you are trying to combine NICs for better performance you would have to have NICs and a switch that support this feature. If you want to have dual NICs to act as a router, or other configuration then you will have to set things up accordingly.

It could also be that you have the wrong type of cable, perhaps you are trying to use a crossover instead of a straight through or something?

Collapse -
more infor

In reply to: Dual NICs

Hi, I have some more info on this :
We are developing a simulator. For this, the setup described in the above post is required. On the router we have an application (Lanforge) which is an IP Simulator. The application allows packets to be forwarded from one side to another only in the following case :
Packets flow from IP 11(NIC1 of PC A) to IP 23(NIC 2 of PC B) (via router)
packets flow from IP 12(NIC2 of PC A) to IP 24 (NIC1 of PC B)(via router). SOrry wanted to attach a picture for more clarity, but could not as there is no option.
We want packets to flow from IP 11 NIC 1 of PC A) to IP 12 (NIC2 of PC A)via router. This is to eliminate use of two PCs (viz PC A and PC B) which is not happening. IP 12 (NIC 2 of PC A) is shown as "Unplugged". We are using straight cable and not cross cable.
One more point to be noted is that if we remove Hub B and plug the cable directly to PC C from PC A (IP 12), then the error "Unplugged" does not show.
Note : Router is a Linux BOX running Lanforge
Thanks

Collapse -
Still looks invalid.

In reply to: more infor

I think you need a total redo since you still seem to have some Windows 2000 box with 2 nics and an IP plan that is invalid. There are also Microsoft KB articles about why this is invalid but I leave this to your research.

Who thought this up? Why not use a valid IP plan?

Bob

Collapse -
this is a project requirement

In reply to: Still looks invalid.

Since this is a project requirement, we had to do this. We wanted to eliminate the number of PCs used for this testing. For instance, if it worked as we desired, we could eleiminate PC B. The packets would flow from NIC1 of PC A to NIC2 of PC A via Hub A, Router and Hub B.

Since you have given us a clue about this, we will do a research. Thanks a lot for your informaiton.

Collapse -
Here's the deal.

In reply to: this is a project requirement

You have a project. You didn't share enough details so what I did see was DOA. That is, it won't work with ... Windows.

Maybe full disclosure would have been better.

Bob

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.