Computer Help forum

General discussion

NIC card and USB card do not work

by jbndhs / October 25, 2004 11:54 PM PDT

I had to replace my power supply. After I did my video card didn't work. I reset the card and now it is ok. But when I started the computer after resetting it the computer started in safe mode. The computer now starts in regular mode but the nic and usb cards do not work. The lights on the nic card are not on. I am running Win ME. Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NIC card and USB card do not work
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NIC card and USB card do not work
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: NIC card and USB card do not work
by Yew / October 26, 2004 12:29 AM PDT

Why did you have to replace the power supply? Did it short out, blow up, catch on fire, what?

Collapse -
by jbndhs / October 26, 2004 12:56 AM PDT

The fan started to make a noise and since it was around 5 years old I figured it was time.

Collapse -
by jbndhs / October 26, 2004 8:10 AM PDT

More info. I reinstalled the to cards. I put swicthed the slots. I don't think they were seated all the way in. Anyway the ligths on the nic card are now lit. But it still does not work. I went to device manager clicked on network adapter. There is a yellow "!" on the name of the NIC card. When I click on the name I get this message. "This device is disabled because the bios for the device did not give it an IRQ (interrupt request). (code 29)"
"You must enable the device in the bios. See your hardware documention for details, or contract your computer manufacturer to get an updated bios."
I don't have any documention and the computer was made by someone I know but lives miles away now. This all worked fine before I put in the new power supply and the computer started in safe mode.
Any ideas how to get it a IRQ in the bios? Do I now need to flash the bios? I have toyed with that idea for some time as I would like to have a larger HD. But after all the horror stories about doing that I don't know. The bios is "award v4.51pg" It also says "Award plug and play bios extension v1.0a" If any one can help please please do!!

Collapse -
by Cursorcowboy / October 26, 2004 9:10 PM PDT

1. "COMPUTER HARDWARE - Information about the computer BIOS" is a pretty decent site for BIOS/CMOS informational material. Don't know how to access the BIOS? Under the "Technical Support" topic, click Information and help with CMOS.

2. When booting a computer, the system basic input/output system (BIOS) reads information stored in the CMOS so the BIOS can use those settings during configuration. The CMOS information can generally be divided into five major categories:

? Basic configuration information, which usually includes an auto-configuration utility that detects the correct parameters of your hard drive
? Settings to tweak system performance
? Selection of power saving features
? Password setting for your hardware
? Configuration of integrated peripherals

2. Most computers show a message on the display screen during the initial boot process indicating a key or combination of keys to press to start the CMOS Setup utility. The manual that came with the machine or mother board should provide this information. One of the more common methods is to press the Del key during the initial boot sequence, but may be F1, F2 or Esc. When all else fails, sometimes the Setup utility will become available by changing the configuration of the machine - for instance, if you unplug the keyboard and then boot the machine - because the system configuration no longer matches the settings stored.

3. Changes to most of the items in the CMOS setup can be changed by highlighting the selected item and then pressing the Page Up or Page Down key to toggle through the choices available. If you press the F1 key, a help screen pertaining to the highlighted item will open. Unfortunately, most of these help screens offer little information beyond listing the available choices and indicating the default settings.

4. BIOS upgrades are generally possible but nobody can tell you what the BIOS limitations are on somebody else's machine or where to get information specifically without knowing a lot of other details.

5. Please read the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) article, subject "General Computer Basic Input/Output System Overview (Q299697)."

6. Perhaps you may find out by acquiring the BIOS information during an initial boot and writing that information down -- if there is no printing option. Otherwise check the documentation for your mom-board/BIOS or acquire this small utility to do it for you: "CT BIOS", which is a direct download of a zipped file. Once uncompacted and the executable file is run, a simply text file is created which can be read for determining the BIOS information.

7. Please access these sites for possible resolution/help:

a. "List of BIOS Manufacturer Web Sites Part 1 (Q243909)."

b. "Wim'sBios.com."

c. "PCGuide.com."

d. "Compaq.com."

e. "mycomp.com.tw", and many others.

f. "PCMechanic.com."

8. How to obtain BIOS information use the System Information tool in Win98:

Caveat: The information reported in this tool will not be accurate if you have updated or changed the BIOS since Setup was last run. However, you can always search the Registry with some item listed in the BIOS information and update it manually after you verify the exact BIOS information displayed during a computer boot. I also find that this display doesn't have spaces between certain words and edited the Registry to place a blank space after an item that runs into another.

a. Click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click System Information.

b. Click Windows Report Tool on the Tools menu.

c. Either click the item near the bottom labeled Change System File Selection or from Options in the Tools menu, click Collected Information.

d. View the contents of the BIOS= line in the System settings to copy box section by using the vertical scrawl arrow. This line contains your BIOS information.

Collapse -
by jbndhs / October 29, 2004 5:47 AM PDT

Thanks for your help Cursorcowboy. You sure gave me some places to check out. Thanks again for your help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!