Computer Help forum

General discussion

NIC card?

by luvlex1017 / January 13, 2007 3:01 PM PST

A while ago I was having trouble with my computer shutting down while on the internet. First the monitor would go blank and I couldn't do anything, then about 2 minutes later the whole computer would shut down. So I put it away for a while and was using my really old busted up monster of a computer. Today I decided to plug it in and play around with it. Except I lost all conection to the internet. I called my DSL provider who took me through a series of tests. I should mention here that it wouldn't connect to the interent because of a bad IP address, and it wouldn't renew. After all of the tests, my dsl provider determined that it was not on their end, but my NIC card was not communicating (sorry if that is spelled wrong). What does this mean? I have to get a new NIC card? Or is there an easy fix? The computer is a Systemax, running on XP. Thanks so much for your time.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NIC card?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NIC card?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My suggestion would be to check the device manager first...
by ahtoi / January 13, 2007 3:27 PM PST
In reply to: NIC card?

If indicates not working properly, maybe you should reinstall the driver.

In any case, if you need to buy a NIC, it's very inexpensive ($10-$15).

Collapse -
by PKsteven / January 13, 2007 4:17 PM PST
In reply to: NIC card?

As the other reply said, you need to install drivers or buy another NIC. I hazzard a guess you aren't sure what it is by the way you asked. You know where the cable plugs in, well inside the pc is an adapter card "NIC" "Network Interface Card" that plugs into the PCI slot on the motherboard. Check here...

Now, it's always strange how some questions come about right when you've repaired something but a friend of mine had your issue, to a T. SBC told him it was his NIC card so he bought one and asked me to install it. Upon starting the pc, I ran a virus scan with Avast and it found 5 trojans, 2 viruses and a ton of spyware. I removed it and he brought the NIC back for his refund. It ran fine, no blanking screen, NIC communicates perfectly now. So that said, check spyware, malware viruses ,etc...FIRST. I wouldn't hesitate to think it is some sort of infection.

Collapse -
by luvlex1017 / January 13, 2007 5:29 PM PST
In reply to: Exactly

I will try all that. I did do a series of virus checks and spyware and that all came up clean. I'll d.l. Avast though and see how that comes up.

Collapse -
by luvlex1017 / January 13, 2007 5:40 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

We did uninstall and reinstall the driver. That was one of the things my dsl tech support had me do. That did nothing. My ISP starts witha 169 I believe and thats why she said it was the NIC card. Glad to know they're inexpensive though. Thanks again.

Collapse -
When your IP address
by lacsr / January 13, 2007 10:33 PM PST
In reply to: Also

starts with a 169, that merely means that the computer did not pick up an IP address when it checked the network at startup. Assuming that your connection to the modem is correct, then there is a setup problem. XP will normally try to fix that if you go to "Network and Internet Connections" If you need further instruction, try the "network wizard"

Collapse -
A good way to tell
by PKsteven / January 14, 2007 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: Also

Go to the MY Computer icon and right click it, click on the hardware tab, Device Manager, and go to network adapters and click on the plus sign. If you see a yellow "!" or marking, it's a good sign there is something wrong. Since you can't connect to the internet without blanking, how about you uninstall the device and restart Windows allowing it to re-detect. It may get you hooked up enough to find a driver or Windows may install one that will work and then through windows updates as many do, will give you an updated correct driver. You can give that a try, nothing to lose at this point.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?