Computer Help forum

General discussion

Nic Card

by chris tall / May 15, 2006 11:48 PM PDT

I have an AMD 2600+ with 512 kb of L2 cache, and a Nvidia 6200+ Pro Graphics Card, i have 1.5 gigs of DDR 3200 Ram, and 8 USB ports, along with a DVD RAM drive anda kilowatt power supply. I was just wondering if my porcessor was fast enough that i dont need a Nic Card...thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nic Card
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nic Card
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
typically your motherboard will have a nic built-in
by ramarc / May 16, 2006 12:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Nic Card

unless this pc is a server on a network with 20+ other PCs, your mobo nic should suffice.

Collapse -
What a mess.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 16, 2006 12:30 AM PDT

I've looked over your dozen posts and frankly I'm coming to the conclusion that someone sold you a pile of woe.

From your posts your problems run so deep that it's time to pack this machine up and make it a big problem for the supplier.

Bob

Collapse -
What are your plans?
by Willy / May 16, 2006 12:38 AM PDT

NIC is used to connect to the network, so unless you have another method you'll need some connection. You certainly don't need a slot(pci?) card nic if you already have a build-in nic via the mtrbd.. So really, just what do you plan to do?

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Well
by chris tall / May 16, 2006 7:31 AM PDT
In reply to: What are your plans?

A friend told me that i had such a fast processor i didnt even need a nic card to get online. But i cant seem to get online with that PC...so i need to troubleshoot the processor...any suggestions?

Collapse -
A Little More Information Please
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 16, 2006 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

No need to troubleshoot the processor yet. Your friend may have given you bad advise but it depends on the information you provide us.

You still haven't described what you currently have installed on the computer which would allow you to connect.

You at least need an ethernet port which will allow you to connect an ethernet cable from your computer to a modem. (Or maybe even a dial-up or wireless connection to a WAP.) Do you have any of these items?

If not, then the computer won't magically connect to the internet even with a fast processor.

Let us know what you're trying to do.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
You left out something...
by Willy / May 16, 2006 10:48 AM PDT
In reply to: Well

Someone is feeding some bull here. You do need some connection to get into the internet. If it be a modem(dial-up), DSL modem or even wireless to a some modem, you need that connection. On top of that, you need some ISP(provider) to allow you on. You know ISPs like Netzero, AOL, Earthlink, etc.. if this is some university setup, then ask what is actually needed. You didn't mention what is any ISp, so alot is guessing on my part, you have to provide more info.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Pet peeve. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 16, 2006 9:11 AM PDT

NIC = Network Interface Card. You said Network Interface Card Card. Training.

There are two ways to connect to the Internet for the home user. A NIC (with a broadband modem) or a dial-up modem. Period. Without one or the other you don't get on line. The NIC or DU modem can be internal or external.

Collapse -
Well i dont
by chris tall / May 16, 2006 9:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Pet peeve. . .

have a nic card, or an ethernet port, isnt there a way i can connect through my processor?

Collapse -
Nope..A Physical Or Wireless Connection Is Required
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / May 16, 2006 9:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Well i dont

What are you trying to connect to? Do you have a DSL modem? Do you have a telephone line? Do you have a cable internet connection modem?

A physical "wired" or wireless connection "hooks" to one of these types of items to get you on the internet. Without them, you have a standalone computer.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
The Processor. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 16, 2006 12:05 PM PDT

is only one component INSIDE the PC, it's what makes everything else happen, and it has nothing to do with an Internet connection. (General statement.) I think you're confusing the "Processor" with the PC. An Internet connection must be made with a modem. If you have broadband, cable or DSL, you will need a broadband modem, and a NIC. The NIC will install in a PCI slot inside the PC. The NIC has an Ethernet port and it will stick out the back of the PC. You connect the NIC to the modem's Ethernet port with an Ethernet cable - RJ-45 connections. The other option is a USB modem. This modem will connect to the PC via a USB port. The broadband will connect to the modem.

To reemphasize, you must have a modem and a NIC to connect to broadband, no exceptions, it's just the way it works.

Wayne

There are 10 types of people who understand binary; those that do and those that don't.
Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about telephones,
internet connections, spyware removal, and download free software.

Collapse -
Ummm...i have a problem
by chris tall / May 16, 2006 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: The Processor. . .

I tried to sauder a cat-5e cable to the pins on my athlon xp 64 bit fx 2 4200+ and now the computer does not boot...

Please Help me....

I am kinda pissed..

regards,

James

Collapse -
You're hosed. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 17, 2006 12:22 AM PDT

You NEVER solder anything to any part of a PC. If you have, you're dead in the water. You've probably ruined the PC.

Collapse -
I'm finished. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 17, 2006 12:43 AM PDT

Either lost_noob_182 is pulling our leg or he/she shouldn't be allowed to handle sharp objects.

Collapse -
shame on you
by linkit / May 17, 2006 8:48 AM PDT

Anyone savvy enough to solder anything to a computer component should know enough about computer hardware in general and NIC's in particular. You profile says as much.

You need to find entertainment elsewhere, and stop getting your jollies with phony posts in CNET forums.

Collapse -
Clean slate
by Willy / May 16, 2006 11:29 PM PDT

I believe you're calling your whole system a "processor" when many responsers are relying on the "cpu" as the processor. The terminology maybe th fault in the final explanation quest. However, as others pointed out, that's what needs to be done to finally get on the internet, some type of modem and the proper port to connect it to. Is this becoming more clearer now???

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
One more time. . .
by Coryphaeus / May 17, 2006 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Clean slate

The processor is the device inside the PC on the motherboard. It is square and has a large fan on top. This is the computer processor. The monitor is the TV-like thing you look at. A NIC is a card plugged into a slot on the motherboard.

I don't want to sound cruel, but it appears you know nothing about a PC or it's parts. And if you have tried to solder anything to the processor, or any part of the PC, and it now won't come on, you're dead in the water, you've probably ruined the entire machine.

Go here for a picture and description of the various parts:

http://24.23.89.36/misc_files/motherboard.jpg

Collapse -
Before you made the major blunder
by Ray Harinec / May 17, 2006 2:01 AM PDT

of soldering to the CPU/Mobo, there was some hope to help you.

If you had a mobo that could take that CPU, you definitely have a built in NIC it might even support the fastest Gigabit [1000 bps], which is a moot point. The first reply told you that.

If you have looked at a mobo you will see a number of black [usually] chips. Each of these chips are large scall integrated circuits. In each of them there a circuits equivalent to hundreds and thousands of transistors that perform extremely complex functions.

Note that a mobo is made of four layers of printed artwork two copper clad sheets of fiberglass with artwork etched by removing copper strategically. Holes through the sheets allow circuits to be made through these holes from layer to layer. The two sheets are them registered precisely and "glued" together with an insulating material called prepreg. Thus ends up with four layers of circuitry. The layer to layer connections are made through the holes valled vias, the mobo is passed through a solder bath and the solder flows through the holes and makes the connections to the other correct layers circuits.

The top level technicians in a mobo shop can repair such by having the correct tools including solder suckers and precisely controlled temperature soldering items. It is simply no place for a novice.

It is NOT even obvious to me that you are aware that to connect to the internet you need an ISP [Internet Service Provider.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?