Phones forum

General discussion

Nextel or Verizon?

by dowook / February 24, 2005 9:04 AM PST

Hi, I just wanted to know the major difference between Nextel and Verizon. Does Verizon cover more areas than Nextel? I'm thinking about switching to either Nextel or Verizon. I need some advice. I would like to hear from both users....Your reply is greatly appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Nextel or Verizon?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Nextel or Verizon?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Nextel or Verizon?
by dave1973 / February 24, 2005 10:29 AM PST
In reply to: Nextel or Verizon?

Both services have their pros & cons.
Verizon Wireless uses CDMA digital, so you'll be able to use a Verizon Wireless phone on another network if you need to, as long as there's digital. If you get a tri-mode phone, you'll also have analog as long as there's analog in that area too, but analog is slowly being phased out. Verizon Wireless is also more likely to work in rural areas than Nextel. Verizon also has walkie talkie, but it doesn't work as well as Nextel's walkie talkie. Phone brand selection is better too (when comparing Verizon & Nextel), though not as good as the GSM services. I consider Verizon affordable too.
Nextel uses IDEN, a proprietary digital standard, and their phones don't have analog or other digital backup, so you either have service, or you don't. So if you go off the network, your phone won't work, and if you have an emergency, you're screwed. Nextel works best in major cities, and not as good in rural areas that have Nextel towers. Cost is higher than Verizon. But if you like the walkie talkie and most people you know have Nextel, you can save some money by talking to your friends & family with the walkie talkie. Nextel phones are made by Motorola only. One thing to consider is Nextel is in the process of being bought out by Sprint. No one knows what will happen with Nextel if Sprint is allowed to buy Nextel. Will it stay a separate company, or be merged into Sprint's service. If that happens; who knows if IDEN will be retained since only Nextel uses IDEN. Walkie talkie hasn't been perfected with CDMA yet.

Collapse -
My Nextel contract just ended...
by Jstrong01 / March 16, 2005 2:04 AM PST

I have had nextel for the past year and i have been miserable in Cincinnati. I came from sprint where if i had a dropped call they would give me 50 cents for each one, well when i got to nextel it was even worse. They wont give you any credit for your dropped calls because they said they know that you wont be able to use your phone everywhere you want to and also your dropped calls must be a total of at least 40% of your total calls. Right now i will probably be going to Verizon because they do have a better service with the best coverage from what i've been told by my friends.

Collapse -
Re: My Nextel contract just ended...
by dave1973 / March 16, 2005 10:15 AM PST

I have yet to try my Verizon Wireless phone in any part of Ohio, but overall happy with it in Indiana, Chicago, and Milwaukee and Madison Wisconsin areas. I suggest Americas Choice plan if you travel a lot, which will allow you to roam in many areas at no charge, and CDMA coverage is much larger than GSM (which is mainly in major cities). If you travel, get a good tri-mode phone, and I recommend the Samsung a650. Kyocera and some LG phones are good choices too.
So far, my Samsung a650 rarely goes into analog off Verizon Wireless' network.

Collapse -
Verizon
by walthouse / March 19, 2005 3:41 PM PST

Verizon's coverage is dramaticaly larger than Nextel's. Nextel works in about 30% of the country while Verizon covers about 90%.

Collapse -
Verizon
by lqqkin / April 5, 2005 9:44 PM PDT

Definitely go with Verizon. I had a Nextel phone for a short while and it would lose service about anywhere (urban or rural). It would drop even in large city limits. I have had Verizon for the last 2 years and the coverage is excellent.

Collapse -
VZW
by jdj36 / July 26, 2005 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Verizon

I would say VZW would be the way to go, the coverage is awesome, however in north eastern Michigan Nextel has better coverage. Go figure

Collapse -
Depends on ur friends and family
by 21012561490841956051018971183198-Rydog171 / April 1, 2006 3:44 AM PST

I would go with what most of your friends and family have. But if u don't wanna go by that, then Verizon does have more coverage across the US, but in same cases, my nextel gets WAY better service than my Verizon phone. You wouldn't be going the wrong way either way u go. ~Ryan

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You realize you are replying to a 1+ year post?
by neocon / April 1, 2006 4:50 AM PST
Collapse -
mm.....

did u realize that u did too?

Collapse -
If you did not realize.......
by neocon / April 2, 2006 1:04 AM PST
In reply to: mm.....

I replied to YOU! It is YOU who dug up this 'OLD' message and brought it to the forefront. So, rather than admitting to YOUR error, you try to pass the blame?

Collapse -
ookay soo what?
by 21012561490841956051018971183198-Rydog171 / April 2, 2006 7:03 AM PDT

so i replied to an "old" message! im new to this, u didn't HAVE to comment on what I did, so i think u need to get a life er something so u don't make NEW ppl MAD at u! so have a great dae! and go have fun commenting on ppl who r new to this. HAVE FUN!

Collapse -
Thank
by Blueicefarm / April 2, 2006 9:33 AM PDT
In reply to: ookay soo what?

I just wanted to thank you for commenting on the +1 year old post. I thinking to switch from Nextel to Verizon and find the information useful.

Collapse -
Ummmmm... lel me guess!
by neocon / April 2, 2006 10:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank

You are the same person as the guy you are answering to?
You know it is illegal to sign up under two different ID's with the intention of responding to your own posts!

Collapse -
Why are you getting so upset?
by neocon / April 2, 2006 10:20 AM PDT
In reply to: ookay soo what?

I just made a point that you are answering to a very old post. Why are you so defensive?

Collapse -
need to know
by madeformotorola / April 2, 2006 12:59 AM PST

if you want to know which one gets more coverage, in your area?? or in general?? i got verizon and you always have 4 out if 5 bars at least. since sprint and nextel merged, its really hard to tell how nextel has changed. nextel phones used to be fugly and big. now they have a few nicer phones thanks to sprint. i would go with verizon mainly because they offer the best service in the nation. or so they say. they have never let me down though!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Reply to Nextel or Verizon?
by cjs_email3 / April 3, 2006 6:43 AM PDT

I just wanted to say that Nextel sucks. You do not want them. I am switching from Nextel to Verizon!!!!

Collapse -
dvelas100..my bad, i need to tell you something else!!!
by madeformotorola / April 3, 2006 9:41 AM PDT

i agree that LG is worthless...but verizon has motorola phones. and motorola has quality stuff. One more thing genious....nobody needs you to tell them what carrier is "best"!!!! thats your own stupid opinion

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?