Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Next step after XP mup.sys hang recovery (long, detailed)

by CWatkinsNash / November 13, 2005 6:58 AM PST

(system specs at end)
After almost 4 hours (3 hours of desperate trial and error, 45 minutes of chkdsk) I got my computer to reboot after a mup.sys hang. After using my laptop to research it, I learned that the hang could be caused by a lot of things. So now that I've got it going again, what's my next step?

One of the last things I did was take out the new USB 2.0 PCI card, thinking that could be it even though I had been using it for 3 days with no problems during reboots or otherwise.

The system crashed sometime last night, possibly while Ghost was trying to do a backup. I backup to a USB 2.0 external drive, again pointing to a possible conflict with the card. (I should note that I just realized Ghost hasn't actually done a backup in two weeks because it thinks the disk is full. Would have been nice it if had notified me of that when it happened.)

Other things I did before that included:
Unhooking all USB peripherals

Running the Dell diagnostic bootable CD, first to test the HDD (it passed) then to run the full diagnostics (which hung because it couldn't detect my USB mouse even though I hooked it back up and tried again).

Trying to boot from the Dell Windows cd which wouldn't work because it also tried and failed to load all the drivers and didn't give me an option to do anything else. (I know, always get a regular Windows cd from them. Wish I had.)

I finally got it to boot in safe mode after a million tries, set it to run a complete chkdsk on reboot, then restarted. Chkdsk ran (no errors), and finally it booted properly.

I hooked everything back up except the 2.0 PCI card, and checked device manager - no conflicts.

I don't know what to do next. Try deleting the USB 2.0 drivers and re-install the card? Use the Belkin drivers instead of the drivers XP installs? I tried to update the driver to see what would happen. All it did was knock my USB mouse offline for a few seconds (?).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for having the patience to read this.

Christa

Dell Dimension 2350
Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
Windows XP Home SP2 (installed SP2 months ago)
1G RAM (512x2, installed 2nd 512mb 2 weeks ago)
Belkin USB 2.0 PCI card (installed 3 days ago, now removed)
120G HDD
80G USB 2.0 HDD (now back on 1.1)
NEC DVD_RW ND-3540A (installed 2 weeks ago)
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C
Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller
SoundMax integrated audio

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Next step after XP mup.sys hang recovery (long, detailed)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Next step after XP mup.sys hang recovery (long, detailed)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) I also checked the BIOS settings
by CWatkinsNash / November 13, 2005 7:01 AM PST
Collapse -
I am not an expert in this I'm afraid.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 13, 2005 6:55 PM PST

I researched a little on Google, (mup.sys), and found a number of articles, but they all seem to point to different problems and different solutions; for example, one article says that if mup.sys displays in Safe Mode, then it is not mup.sys that is the problem, but the ''next'' driver that is trying to load. All very confusing.

Solutions range from re-seating the drive and checking the leads, to flashing the BIOS. These are the articles for those two;

Checking the IDE cables

updating the BIOS

But there are other articles listed.

However, from your initial post, am I right in saying that your system is now working properly? You said;

''I finally got it to boot in safe mode after a million tries, set it to run a complete chkdsk on reboot, then restarted. Chkdsk ran (no errors), and finally it booted properly.''

If that's the case, perhaps this is one of those Windows things that happens ocassionally, and fingers crossed won't bother you again?

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
no such luck...
by CWatkinsNash / November 13, 2005 11:43 PM PST

Last night I decided to try to recreate the problem. Long story short, I now know without a doubt that the hang was caused by the USB 2.0 card somehow. I uninstalled the drivers, put it back in, rebooted, and it hung before it even installed. Took it out again, rebooted into safe mode and then into normal mode, no problems.

I used system restore to get back to the day before I installed it but I haven't gone beyond that right now. I sent an e-mail to Belkin asking if there were any known issues that could be causing it.

Like you, my research into the problem caused more confusion than anything else. At least I learned that mup.sys was probably NOT the problem. You said:

''if mup.sys displays in Safe Mode, then it is not mup.sys that is the problem, but the ''next'' driver that is trying to load''

I read that too, but when I boot into safe mode successfully, mup.sys is the last diver listed on the screen before Windows starts.

I don't know. Hopefully Belkin will e-mail me back soon.

Thanks you your reply!

Christa

Dell Dimension 2350
Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
120G HDD
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C

Collapse -
Yes it does sound like the USB 2.0 card
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 14, 2005 12:09 AM PST
In reply to: no such luck...

I am given to understand that if any USB device needs drivers, it is unwise to plug in the device before installing the drivers.

I've seen reference to this on these forums with, for example, digital cameras where a user has plugged the camera into their USB port, then tried to install the driver software, and the system has failed to recognise the camera.

I wonder if that is the case with your USB 2 card.

Mark

Collapse -
Re: installing drivers first
by CWatkinsNash / November 14, 2005 4:10 AM PST

It was my understanding that XP automatically installs the 2.0 drivers when it detects the card.

I used system restore and went back to the day before I installed the card. I couldn't remember if sys rest includes installed drivers or not. All I know is that the driver is still there:

Device Description
Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]

The list of USB items in device manager aren't the same as they used to be, even though the 1.1 stuff is still working fine. The USB listings in a report from Everest are:

PCI Devices:

Bus 0, Device 29, Function 7 Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - Enhanced USB2 Controller [B-0]
Bus 0, Device 31, Function 3 Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - SMBus Controller [B-0]
Bus 0, Device 29, Function 0 Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - USB Controller [B-0]
Bus 0, Device 29, Function 1 Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - USB Controller [B-0]
Bus 0, Device 29, Function 2 Intel 82801DB(M) ICH4(-M) - USB Controller [B-0]

Those are the only USB listings. Is device 31 the onboard 1.1? In Device Manager, the info is the same, but it has the ports on my 4-port hub listed also, as it should. My computer came with:

4 USB 1.1 ports on the back
2 USB 1.1 ports on the front

The card I'm trying to install has:
4 external USB 2.0 ports
1 internal UBS 2.0 port

Based on the individual device #'s and number of entries above, it seems like there are either too many or not enough devices/functions listed, depending on what's actually supposed to be there.

I'm going to try the following (fingers crossed):
--Install the Belkin drivers before I put the card in
--Try installing the card in a different PCI slot
--IF the computer actually boots up after that, check Device Manager to see what's changed

Christa

Dell Dimension 2350
Pentium 4 1.8 GHz
120G HDD
SAMSUNG CD-ROM SC-148C

Collapse -
RESOLVED
by CWatkinsNash / November 14, 2005 4:47 AM PST

Well, I tried what I said I was going to in my last post. I had to do it twice, but it seems to be working. (Okay, it seemed to be working the very first time I installed it too...) The connection seems even faster than when I first installed it, so I guess that's a good sign. I think I just got scared because this machine has never crashed, and it's 3 years old. I'm used to straightening out other people's crashes, not my own. Happy I was determined to completely understand the problem before moving ahead, but sometimes with computers that's just not feasible.

Now comes the fun part - Backing up everything on my Lacie ext. hdd to DVD and formatting it. Oh joy.

Christa

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good luck, I hope it remains ok for you.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 14, 2005 4:54 AM PST
In reply to: RESOLVED
Collapse -
Classic case of "I spoke too soon"
by CWatkinsNash / November 14, 2005 8:49 AM PST

A whole new set of problems this time. Got an e-mail from Belkin with some more suggestions that I'm about to try. Would have sooner but I couldn't read the e-mail until I got my computer to boot again... Happy I guess it's good that I'm a patient person.

Right after my last post I was able to copy my Ghost backup files to DVD off the 2.0 drive. Then my computer just froze. (Not while burning, thank goodness.) Hard reboot, Windows loads, then it tries to install the card again, then freezes when the little "adding hardware" icon had been on about 30 seconds. Tried taking it out, booting, all okay. Put it back in, froze while trying to install. Did it again just for good measure. I guess I must enjoy punishing myself.

Got it to install again, everything okay at the moment. Going to try a driver override trick Belkin suggested and see what happens. Seems the Intel drivers and the Belkin drivers might be fighting to take over the world.

If this doesn't work, they'll replace the card for me. I have to say, the e-mail I got was from an actual person who actually read my support request. I give 'em bonus points for taking the time to actually think about the problem I'm having.

Thanks for your suggestions, and for wishing me good luck. My computer and I need that kind of moral support right now. Happy

Christa

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Finally!! :-)
by CWatkinsNash / November 14, 2005 12:02 PM PST
Collapse -
Finally?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / November 14, 2005 5:35 PM PST
In reply to: (NT) Finally!! :-)
Happy

Does that mean, "Done and dusted, everything OK now"?

I hope so Christa.

I wasn't much help, but moral is as good as none I reckon.

Best wishes for the future.

Mark
Collapse -
Problem was SP2
by CWatkinsNash / November 14, 2005 11:51 PM PST
In reply to: Finally?

SP1 introduced the XP USB 2.0 drivers that it can install all by itself. SP2 introduced the USB 2.0 drivers that will NOT take no for an answer. The tech instructed me to reinstall the card and immediately upgrade the standard enhanced driver, choosing the Belkin version from the option list. S'all there was to it. Very simple, but something I never would have thought of.

Take care!

Christa

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!