Cameras forum

General discussion

next lens? have the lens that came with canon dig rebel

by suzymac71 / May 2, 2007 10:43 AM PDT

for amatuer (sp) photog--lots of baby pics--close ups---what is another lens to have?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: next lens? have the lens that came with canon dig rebel
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: next lens? have the lens that came with canon dig rebel
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm not sure what came with the camera, and you don't say
by Kiddpeat / May 2, 2007 1:22 PM PDT

what your budget is. Assuming you don't want an 'L' lense, the 17-85mm IS USM is a fairly good choice. It will go reasonably wide, and can pull in a modest distance if zoomed. It takes good pictures although they can be a touch on the soft side. Sharper and faster lenses are available, but are priced substantially higher.

Collapse -
Baby pics
by hjfok / May 4, 2007 2:29 PM PDT

Just keep the lens you have. But if you plan to take pics at low light without flash, try the 50 mm f/1.4 (or 50 mm f/1.8). When the baby gets older and can walk around, you can get a longer zoom. But you can probably wait a couple years. I still have to stay very close to my 2.5 year old, and the 50-55 mm range still works most of the time. Using longer zoom runs the risk of him running away. You can find use of a longer zoom with young tods when they go on rides, the first pony shots, or visiting the zoo. A good longer zoom will be EF 70-200 mm f/4L (buy the IS version if budget is not tight).

Collapse -
prime power
by fionndruinne / May 4, 2007 6:11 PM PDT

I also recommend the 50mm f/1.8 - it's a classic, will produce terrific sharp shots, and will function in low light much better than your current lens. It's not a new focal range, though. But for portraits and such, you can't go wrong, and they're available for not much more than a hundred dollars.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?