Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Next episode - Windows on a Mac

by acedtect / February 27, 2008 6:29 AM PST

I've been doing this and have y own thoughts to share. Anybody else? Got questions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Next episode - Windows on a Mac
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Next episode - Windows on a Mac
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are there any gaming benchmarks for Windows on Macs?
by Slikkster / February 27, 2008 7:52 AM PST

I'd be interested in seeing some benchmarks for gaming on a Mac with Windows vs. a similarly configured (i.e. same Intel Core Duo cpu) PC motherboard.

Also, question: I can understand how Jobs is taking advantage of the Intel platform to woo people into the Mac scene with dual-OS-Booting, but to me, it's really a zero-sum game. Microsoft doesn't build computers, so they're getting $$$ for every dual-booting Mac with Windows. If I'm MS, I'm thinking, "Who cares? It's the OS, stupid!"

Collapse -
Ubuntu on a flash card
by jacobshm / February 27, 2008 11:52 PM PST

Hey Tom, can you also talk about how you get Ubuntu to run off of a flash card?

Collapse -
Not in this episode but....
by acedtect / February 29, 2008 11:16 PM PST
In reply to: Ubuntu on a flash card
Collapse -
Windows on a Mac. Not for everyone.
by Urkel. / February 28, 2008 2:28 AM PST

One thing that should be pointed out is that Windows on a Mac is NOT for everyone. For many people then OS X and Windows on the same machine is incredible, but we deal with the potential issues because we knew what we were getting into. But in the Apple Store or around the internet there are way too many Mac users using the selling point of "You should buy a Mac because it runs all your Windows apps" and that's really irresponsible.

While it may be true, there are many factors that nobody ever explains. The price of adding a 2nd OS, the resources and speed compromises required for virtualization, the lost hard drive space, the file system incompatibilities. And the biggest one that bugs me, the idea that someone should fire up Windows because "You can still use your old Outlook or Word if you need to".

I definitely am loving that I CAN run windows on my Mac, but just because it works out for me doesn't mean it will work out for someone else. Hopefully people stop trying to push Macs into people faces because the "best computer isn't necessarily the "best choice" for everyone.

Collapse -
Cool ways to do it...
by techpriest / February 29, 2008 1:57 AM PST

If you don't want to pay for a shrink-wrapped copy of windows, you can buy "Crossover for Mac" from codeweavers, its an extension of the WINE project, and can run windows programs in "bottles"-all the microsoft office suites have bottles ready, as does IE 5,6 and 7 (and since windows drm is heavily IE dependent, that opens up some cool possibilities to us mac users who want to use stuff other than itunes, or want netflix streaming....). The best way to actually RUN an actually copy of windows, is to first install it via bootcamp, and then to use your Virtualiser of choice (VMware fusion or parallels) on top of that, as both these programs can access the bootcamp partition and virtualise it when needed, so if you just want to run a standard windows app, you can run OS X and use VMing to get it, but if you have an intensive app like gaming, you can get the raw power of your machine when needed.

Techpriest

Collapse -
Sometimes I just have to run some windows apps...
by mmmGuinness / February 29, 2008 3:39 AM PST

I love the idea of this topic. I'm a recent convert, I just bought a MacBook Pro and LOVE it. There are a number of little things that I'm still getting used to but it makes it much easier when I can run Windows apps while I adjust.

The best solution for me is (in Leopard) to configure a "space" (must enable spaces first) that's only used by VMware Fusion (my personal choice although I would guess that parallels would work as well.) From there, I have two virtual desktops, one for Mac and one for Windows.

It's clean and just great. I mapped my scroll wheel click to the space chooser screen so switching between spaces is very simple (cntl --> or <-- will work as well)

I tried using the "unity" mode that allowed Windows applications to appear to run natively in the Mac interface but it was more novelty than productive (for me) I love the idea but wasn't the best solution for how I use my apps.

Collapse -
It can be done and vice versa.
by welrdelr / March 2, 2008 3:35 AM PST

Before a moderator or an editor closes, locks, or deletes this post, he or she should first read and then research what I am about to write.
The first thing you need to know is that the two systems are software and not hardware. Second, both use the same CPU architecture, Third, fewer drivers are available for Mac OS while Windows has almost everyone that there is. Fourth, resizing partitions will not damage data if it is done properly. And finally, the user has rights.

Neither Apple nor Microsoft develop hardware, they buy it and develop applications for it. If you want both in one, go for HP's PA-RISC and ARM's Arm9 and above.

Apple switched over, this has already been discussed.

Drivers are written, bought, or reverse engineered. This is a fact.

The disk is made empty. You add an operating system and you can resize or remove it.

The consumer has rights that he/she should look up in their local, state/ provincial laws. What a person decides to do is up to them, don't hold their hand.

Getting one x86 system to run on another x86 box isn't a challenge. having Windows run on a computer with a PPC CPU would be.

You can run both on the same with dual booting.

Collapse -
VMWare, Vista 64 bit, and OEM
by Craemmir / March 3, 2008 2:19 AM PST

I've been playing around with this too on my new Mac Pro. Gaming is my main dual boot priority (for work BION), so Boot Camp is my drug of choice. Here I've had no problems, but a few questions:

1) Is it legit (as I've read from several sources) to buy an OEM (system builder's) copy of Vista/XP for use with Boot Camp and/or VMWare/Parallels? The savings is huge.

2) The new Mac Pros can run the 64-bit version of Vista in Boot Camp. Is there any reason in general to get the 64 over the 32-bit version? VMWare at least seems to have a problem using a 64-Bit Boot Camp partition, tough it will still boot from it, so not sure if there actually is a performance hit there. It will, I read, do a virtual machine install of 64 bit just fine, so that's an option too. Is any of this worth it?

3) Is it legit and do you run into any Windows Genuine Blahblah problems with a) installing the OS in boot camp and then running it in VMWare/Parallels or b) installing one copy of the OS on boot camp and then doing a second install as a separate virtual machine? Haven't had the guts to experiment with this, so maybe you an answer.

4) How the hell do you get an external iSight camera working in Boot Camp?

Thanks

Collapse -
MacBook iSight -Windows compatibility with Streaming Video
by Cnext / March 3, 2008 4:09 AM PST

Windows on a Mac- Please address the MacBook iSight compatibility with Streaming Video in through Parallels and VMware Fusion.

Specifically using the Yahoo! Messenger. I can't get no Satisfaction, or the mac/windows to recognize the camera either.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!