The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Next episode - software for a new pc - Got questions?

by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / August 14, 2007 9:00 AM PDT

This is one of those topics where we could use questions and recommendations.

What kinds of software do you want recommendations for, and then what kinds of software do you find essential?

Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Next episode - software for a new pc - Got questions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Next episode - software for a new pc - Got questions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Say no to bloatware!
by robstak / August 15, 2007 2:29 AM PDT

Even more important than what to get for a pc is how to avoid getting all that extra crap!

To address the question, however, I think a lot of what I'd use has been covered in previous RD epi's.

So aside from the firefoxes, openoffices, and anti-viri, when I set up a new computer for luddite friends I try not to forget:
1. IM Client- GAIM or Trillian
2. Adobe Acrobat
3. Flash/Shockwave
4. iTunes- I make everyone listen to BOL. Also, upgrade WMP
5. Google Picasa- or some other photosharing software
6. RSS Reader- I dunno, Thunderbird...
Also, don't forget to:
7. Change default search to Google

There's better ways to do some of the above things (ie google reader for RSS or flickr for photos), but in my experience, n00bs like icons way better than web favorites with logins.

-Dr. Karl

Collapse -
email??
by gillwray / August 16, 2007 2:48 AM PDT

Should you install MS Outlook or other email software?

I haven't been doing this lately on my PC's. Instead, I've trained my family to use web-based email (like hotmail or Gmail). I think that they are less of a threat to viruses??

Collapse -
List of software for a new PC
by plow4357 / August 16, 2007 9:35 AM PDT

When you get a new PC, you should install these:

VLC Media Player
Firefox
Openoffice.org
iTunes
WinRAR
CCleaner
EULAlyzer

Collapse -
antianti
by just_kelly / August 17, 2007 11:09 AM PDT

What is the highest quality, least annoying, FREE anti-spyware, anti-virus, etc that you can download online?

Collapse -
get rid of that crap!
by Civisi / August 17, 2007 3:44 PM PDT

Tom,

A utility that is very useful for OEM computers is PCDecrapifier. It's available at http://www.PCDecrapifier.com, and it removes many known programs that vendors install.

Civisi

Collapse -
fixing link
by Civisi / August 17, 2007 3:45 PM PDT
In reply to: get rid of that crap!
Collapse -
forgetting the drivers needed!!!!
by trolyy / August 19, 2007 9:05 AM PDT

Okay people seem to be forgetting the basic software needed to run your printer, scanners, drives (flash drives, external HDD, don?t forget the trusty ZIP drive), mp3 players, head sets, modem/routers, webcams. The hardware which you will be plugging into your computer, so you can get the internet to download software. Gawd! Remember the basic hardware and the software needed for that!

Si.

Collapse -
Use Portable Software and some stress test tools
by deecaywonder / August 19, 2007 10:33 AM PDT

Nice to see that a lot of software suggested here have portable version. When I buy a new machine (in fact, I have a Quad Core DELL coming to my home next week, yeah!), I try not to install stuff in it for a week as I want to make sure that every hardware parts work OK first. There is always a possibility that you may need to return the bad boy you just brought. Running portable software via external harddisk saves you time of reinstallation should you need to return and get a new machine.

It fact, I will be highly appreciate if someone can suggest a list of stress test tools to use for making sure everything in the new machine works great. If no one has a list, then I'll probably Google some and come up one since I need to prepare them for my new machine anyway.

Deecay

Collapse -
a hammer. maybe put it in a microwave.
by trolyy / August 19, 2007 10:27 PM PDT

yeah that would test it but if you still want to use it afterwards i would not.

There is this free for a month temperature software which monitors temperatures, voltage through the system and fan speeds.

http://www.sofotex.com/SensorsView-download_L35415.html

(some people don't get some read outs, because of compatibility but give it a try.)

Si.

Collapse -
Some Free Security software
by plow4357 / August 20, 2007 11:36 AM PDT

Tom,

There is some free anti-virus, anti-spyware, and firewall software, and they are free, never have to renew your subscription, or update fees ever.

Here are some of them:
Spyware Terminator
AVG Anti-Virus 7.5 Free (there's also AVG Anti-Spyware Free)
Comodo Personal Firewall

Peter

Collapse -
I suppose Windows only?
by udayan71 / August 20, 2007 11:52 AM PDT

I say Google Pack is a nice way to start, along with ZoneAlarm's firewall, CCleaner (for unnecessary registry entries etc), and maybe AVG for anti-virus. F-Secure is supposed to be the best ever, but I don't use it. Never ever use Real Player! That includes ignoring its inclusion in Google Pack

Mac.. erm. Firefox is good, VLC for video, Skype.. I use some other stuff for graphics but that's not essential. Maybe Quicksilver too, but its not used to its fullest (if that can ever be reached) until about a month or more of use.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.