The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Next episode - Digital Cameras - Got Questions?

by acedtect / January 30, 2007 1:55 AM PST

Lori Grunin will join me to discuss the basics of shopping for digital cameras.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Next episode - Digital Cameras - Got Questions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Next episode - Digital Cameras - Got Questions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Digital nuances? Anything?
by shawnlin / January 30, 2007 2:07 AM PST

Digital nuances? Anything?

I've been using a manual everything SLR for the last ~15yrs and love it - LOVE IT! With the convenience of digital, I'd like to pick up a D-SLR or Advanced digital, but I have some reservations and questions:

1) What nuances from film have carried over to digital?
2) Any new nuances or challenges with digital format? I hear white balance is difficult for most digital cameras to get "just right"...
3) Are there any advanced digital with an immediate shutter response like an film camera or D-SLR?
4) I loved Minolta's technology of putting anti-shake in the camera instead of in each lens like Canon - what are the pros/cons of each idea?
5) What's up with these reading/writing speeds with flash memory cards?

Very best,
Shalin

Collapse -
Foveon X3 multilayer sensors vs. side-by-side pixel sensors.
by shawnlin / January 30, 2007 3:06 AM PST

Also - I'd looove it if more companies began using the Foveon X3 technology chips instead of side-by-side pixel sensors. Any "word on the street" that the Foveon X3 chip will be used in cameras other than Sigma? It just seems like a really smart technology...

http://www.foveon.com/

Collapse -
yeah
by Zombie Bender / February 1, 2007 4:40 AM PST

"5) What's up with these reading/writing speeds with flash memory cards? "

A year or so ago I was looking at speed difference between CF and SD, CF was consistently double the speed and yet it seems cameras and other devices are phasing it out in favor of the smaller cards. Or have other flash cards been able to catch up now? Then again how much speed to cameras even need?

-Ben

Collapse -
doubts
by raftos / January 30, 2007 5:27 AM PST

1) What's DLSR and (forgot the other which is compared to).
2) What's the usual lens brand behind non-traditional camera brands (who uses Carl-Seiss, who got Leika, etc).
3) Are wifi cameras already enabled to perform in an "open enviroment", sending photos to Flickr , for instance?

Collapse -
Old Canon T70
by nelsondr / January 30, 2007 9:34 AM PST

I have an old Canon T70 with a couple of different lenses as well as a Canon 299T Speedlite. Is there any Canon digital SLR that I could purchase that would allow me to use the lenses and flash I currently own? While my current lenses don't support any type of auto-focus, I don't always have a need for that. Just curious, any suggestions you could provide would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Pixels
by RMVelez / January 31, 2007 3:48 AM PST

I understand what pixels are, but when is it the same...will I look at a picture taken in 2megapixels looks exactly alike as one taken in say 5megapixels...but takes up more space...so what is the main difference...

Love the show

Rey

Collapse -
no questions
by aribeiro2 / January 31, 2007 9:53 AM PST
In reply to: Pixels

i would like to be convinced not to buy a Canon Powershot A630!
i'm really planning to buy this one, after the podcast i hope i feel comfortable to buy or to choose a new model to dream about...

i would like to know about the ISO settings (like ISO 400, ISO 800) and the exposure time...
(i think i know both, but i don't know if they are good enough to take a photo of rain pouring down, and a picture of the moon)

Collapse -
by aribeiro2 / February 1, 2007 7:44 AM PST

RMVelez (does it come from Velez Sarsfield?)

5megapixels photos are better to print in sizes bigger than 10x15
i don't know what is the size it really starts to make some difference, but there is a quality threshold somewhere fore 2megapixels cameras!

and a 5 megapixels photo can be zoomed in a computer much more than a 2megapixels photo, without distortion!

i'm sure that if you take a photo of a beautiful girl in a 5megapixels camera, and one in a 2megapixels camera, you will notice how better it is!
hehe

i have an old 2megapixels, i hope i buy a 8megapixels until May Grin
my little sister can have the 2megapixels camera... it's hers, anyway...

Collapse -
4 MP camera with a decent quality lens is plenty...
by shawnlin / February 1, 2007 9:31 PM PST
In reply to: 1

4 MP camera with a decent quality lens is plenty for anyone who want to just take general "happy snaps" and even enlarge them to 11x14.5"

I used my 4 MP minolta point-n-shoot w/lots of manual features for an 11x14.5" print that hung in a local art gallery.

before digital, it was ~80% lens quality that gave you a great picture and the camera body was just used to hold film and operate the lens. Now it seems like the digital sensor is ~50% of the reason for great pictures, but the lens quality ("good glass") is still very important.

Collapse -
the Mars Rovers use a 1 (one) megapixel camera, but...
by shawnlin / February 1, 2007 9:33 PM PST

the lenses they use are exquisite - you could probably buy a couple luxury cars for a how much they spend developing the lenses.

Collapse -
by aribeiro2 / February 4, 2007 12:17 AM PST

Tom should definitely talk about lens!

i don't know much about it, and people say it's important all the time...

and i would like to know about underwater cases too, if possible
there are just so many topics in digital cameras! i hope it is a 18 minutes episode too!
hehe

Collapse -
OKay
by RMVelez / February 2, 2007 2:22 AM PST
In reply to: 1

Okay...but is it worthy it for a family guy like myself...

Best regards,

Rey Velez (hehe..my last name :))

Collapse -
Pixels
by Lou617 / February 5, 2007 10:23 AM PST

The higher the megapixels (MPs) the more detail in the picture.
If you were told to write a story about something you saw with your bare eyes, you could write for about 3 pages. But if you used a microscope to look at the same item, you could write 12 pages. The higher the resolution/megapixels the higher the detail.
Furthermore, with higher MPs you can close in or crop in to an item a little better after you have taken the shot, and still print a very clear 8x10 (of the cropped close up); where with the lower MPs it would blurr if you tried to do the same thing.
If you are just taking pictures of the dog chasing the cat you may not need to use a 8MP camera. If you are going to buy/use a 8 Megapixel camera make sure you purchase a relatively huge capacity memory card. To help manage your consumption of your memory card's capacity some cameras allow you to downclock or reduce the number of MPs you camera uses in a given shot. Conversly, If you spot the perfect shot; you can return your camera to full resolution.
Great Show!

Collapse -
Two suggestions...
by preist / February 5, 2007 7:08 PM PST

Hi,
i have a suggestions, I was very surprised when someone explained that the image sensor (ccd) is not capable to actually perceive colors, instead what it does is it can tell how much Red Green and Blue light comes in for each pixel and then separates this information into three black and white channels. Every time we open an image file, our software actually mixes the channels information together to output a color image on our screen, printer or other device.

The real deal is a great show, keep it up!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.