The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

NExt Episode CES Gadgets - Got Questions?

by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / January 13, 2007 9:06 AM PST

Next episode will focus on the gadgets shown at CES. Not just the best ones, but how the companies try to get the best press from their gadgets. What they show off and why, and how to interpret the press releases and wild claims you hear. Wanna know why so many gadgets from CES never hit the shelves? We'll delve into that.

Thanks to Alexandre for the topic inspiration!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NExt Episode CES Gadgets - Got Questions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NExt Episode CES Gadgets - Got Questions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Empty boxes?
by Zombie Bender / January 15, 2007 3:00 AM PST

I watched the piece on wireless HDMI and it got me wondering how many other vendors are pimping empty boxes.

Collapse -
by aribeiro2 / January 15, 2007 9:45 AM PST
In reply to: Empty boxes?

i want to know which products are the most revolutionary...
if there is any chance for a product to release and change our lives forever, like the cell phone without buttons, the first multi touch screen product that will sell over 50 thousand copies, and the first true smart phone that most people are dying to buy!

today i was in a laboratory at my university, and when i came back after lunch, there were 10 people watching the iPhone demonstration and saying "ohhh!" for every impressive stuff the phone's interface had...

and of course, i wanna know why most of that "revolutionary" products never hit the shelves...

Collapse -
the unsung gadgets
by jazzyj1 / January 15, 2007 12:57 PM PST

I'd like to know why most of the mainstream media only cover the "big names" or the ones that have the most buzz.

Why do gadgets such as last years' Game Runner (the treadmill that when you run, your character runs in first person shooters), or a new form virtual reality that could change home entertainment centers, or a remote controlled skateboard, or the return of Commadore to the market (which I think you might've briefly mentioned in BOL), or a DVD player for the GameBoy Advanced, and the list goes on, get outshined by such items as Creative Zen's Vision:M.

In case you didn't figure it out, I went to last year's CES, but not this years'. Therefore I can't cite any this year, but I'm sure there are tons of gadgets that no one will ever know about because they weren't there and no one, not even the blogs or mass media, will cover them.

I know there is a lot to cover, but let's have some fun. Give the little guy some time. I used my vacation to go there last year, something I had wanted to attend since I was 10 years old. I had no idea that I would have so much fun. Do you know why? Because the general public doesn't even get to see probably 80-95% of the actual products at the show.

Just the pomp and circumstance of the big names.

I say when covering these events, the media should also pick out 2 or 3 little things that stand out, that are not affliated with the big names. The things that can make you go "ooo" or "ahhh", but might never make it to market or could just use that extra 10 seconds of fame.

Quick story: I was standing at a booth with a portable media device that was based only on flash memory cards, talking to the dealers when the CBS entourage came up. The dealers quickly gave the VP of Technology a 5 minute spiel. He then turned to Les Moonves and said "It's a portable Tivo" (which it wasn't). Summed up the whole device that way, then they moved on. ***.

Sorry Tom, I didn't mean for this to become a rant. I can tell this might be where you are going, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

Marc K.

Popular Forums
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
Laptops 21,181 discussions
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
Phones 17,137 discussions
Security 31,287 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?