The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

Next episode - Apple TV - Got Questions?

by acedtect-20196213851867054973637995818137 / March 27, 2007 8:33 AM PDT

We'll delve into this suddenly unpopular box and talk about other devices that do the same thing and sometimes a lot more.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Next episode - Apple TV - Got Questions?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Next episode - Apple TV - Got Questions?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Do tell why suddenly unpopular?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2007 8:54 AM PDT

I'll have one in a week or two.

Bob

Collapse -
apple question
by aribeiro2 / March 28, 2007 1:36 PM PDT

does it have the apple factor that makes you buy apple stuff, or is it a mistake from apple?

how many apple tvs are selling? how many were produced?
is it a fail or not? were people expecting it?

i want to know, so we can ask friends to buy it when they go to USA

Collapse -
Sony PS3 as mediacentre
by pjoachim / April 2, 2007 4:31 AM PDT

I got the (european) PS3 last week hoping to get a mediacentre that also played nice games. The result is quite disappointing.

The PS3 can support 2 Operating system:
The default Sony Game OS and Linux

Game OS
The native Sony OS does not support network drives and has only one Codec for video. You can watch pictures that are stored on the HD or attached on a removable storage like USB key, SD, flash or external HD.
Cannot read my DivX encoded home videos or my MP3s stored on my PC.
Furthermore, DVD playback on the PS3 is not as good as my 150 USD Toshiba play with a HDMI output. The reason is that PS3 does not upscale DVD to HDTV format. Rendering is mediocre.

Linux
I installed Yellow Dog Linux on the other partition of the PS3, hoping to run Myth TV, Freevo or even VideoLAN. Once again the result is quite below my expectation. Sony has disabled access to the Graphics Processor Units from Linux. The results is that video playback quality is quite poor. Ok it works but results are better on my entry range DVD player.

PS3 is that its firware is upgradeable so my hope is that Sony will fix these issues in the next release.
In the meantime, I am not sure the 15 games available at the European launch are worth the investment at all.

Collapse -
How do you get it all
by jnsarra / April 2, 2007 6:47 AM PDT

Thanks for your help on the iTunes video question - my easy and least costly solution was to get the tv cable and leave my iPod behind Sad

Maybe the future topic could be how to make home entertainment tech work the way we want it to - not the MPAA/ RIAA.

Anyway, onto this topic - I'm a total newb to this stuff so please bear with me, I have a bunch of questions. It seems like the apple tv is nice but limited so that you still need the DVR and a DVD player and my media stand is running out of shelves.

I have an xbox 360 but haven't gotten online with it yet. Should I just speand $100 on the wireless for that (and possible more for the bigger hard drive)- does the apple tv have that much more? At least the 360 can play dvd's and if I pay comcast for the privlege of a DVR cablebox i'm back down to 2 items i can fit on my shelves nicely. (Call me girly but aesthetics does play a role in my media choices.)

Is there a way to upgrade or add DVD and DVR capabilities to the apple tv?

Could you 'easily' network an apple tv with a media center (pc? Mac Mini? Myth?) so you can get the apple interface w/ iTunes music/movies + the DVR, DVD and other abilities of a media center?
At least that + the cable box would only be 3 devices and maybe worth shlepping the gaming consols in and out.

Seems complicated - I?d love an easy solution, if there is one.

Collapse -
Does it work if the Computer is off?
by techpriest / April 3, 2007 4:10 AM PDT

If the Apple TV is a streaming device, does that mean i need it AND my Mac/PC with my content on it to be on if i want to watch a movie or listen to some music?, or can i copy over at least some of that content over to the Apple TV's internal hard drive?, ideally with no hackery.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?