General discussion

Newsweek Final Issue says; "HIT THE ROAD, BARACK!"

"Welcome to Obama's America: nearly half the population is not represented on a taxable return—almost exactly the same proportion that lives in a household where at least one member receives some type of government benefit. We are becoming the 50-50 nation—half of us paying the taxes, the other half receiving the benefits."

Click through 5 pages of the article, or use the Print version.

Very damning expose of Obama's abject failure as President of these United States.
Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Newsweek Final Issue says; "HIT THE ROAD, BARACK!"
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Newsweek Final Issue says; "HIT THE ROAD, BARACK!"
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
But I thought Newsweek was a liberal rag.....

......and we couldn't take anything they print seriously (?)

- Collapse -
they were

checking the wiki on them seems they've been bought out several times in the past decade. Most notable was Washington Post owning them at one point. Isn't that the newspaper that the Moonies own?

- Collapse -
(NT) Nope, that's the right-leaning Times
- Collapse -
(NT) final issue ?
- Collapse -
Final print issue is what I was told.

Afterwards is supposed to be online only? Maybe I misunderstood and they meant it was the not the last but most recent published?

- Collapse -
(NT) I had heard they might discontinue the print edition.
- Collapse -
More horsesh!t. Suggest you Google Who Pays Taxes in the US

or go to the CBO for accurate statistics. You're pushing the same crap Toni was before I posted the real figures. This is all Republican fiction based on the idea that if you have taxes deducted by your employer, you aren't paying taxes. The correct phrase is that 51% don't owe taxes because they're up to date or have employer deductions.

From the Brookings Institute: figures from the Congressional Budget Office.
http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=3505

Oft-Cited 51 Percent Figure Is Temporary Spike Caused by Recession

", "rarely has a bit of data been so misunderstood, or so misused." Gleckman wrote: " Let
me explain — repeat actually — what [the figure] means: About half of
taxpayers paid no federal income tax last year. It does not mean they
paid no tax at all. Many shelled out Social Security and Medicare
payroll taxes. [....] Some paid property taxes and, it is fair to say,
just about all of them paid sales taxes of one kind or another. So to
say they pay no taxes is flat wrong.[14]"

So do try to do better Tony than typing out tired old Republican lies hoping they'll just slide by for the 147th time. They're lies. They are contradicted by all the statistics one can find, and I suggest you look at the graph showing the current and expected recovery, always assuming we don't have some Republican ******* figuring out yet another way to give money to the wealthiest 1% while shafting the rest of the nation.

Rob

- Collapse -
you need to read more carefully
This is all Republican fiction based on the idea that if you have taxes deducted by your employer, you aren't paying taxes. The correct phrase is that 51% don't owe taxes because they're up to date or have employer deductions.

The above doesn't address the circumstance you describe. Instead it is about those who are "not represented on a federal tax return—" filed. Anyone who had taxes collected by an employer will eventually be contacted by the IRS and requested to file a return. This is about federal taxation, not state, which is the misdirection of your quote. even your person quoted acknowledges, then attempts to spin in different direction. Neither of you have done a very good job of it, I'd add.

"So do try to do better Tony than typing out tired old Republican lies hoping they'll just slide by for the 147th time."

Hmm, I don't know if you did a cut and paste, or a drink and post, but I'm not "Tony" nor "Toni" whichever you were thinking of at the time.

"Republican *******"

Nice walk around the filters to show us what a classy individual you are, again.
- Collapse -
RE: you need to read more carefully

Said the writer of National Enquirer headlines.

- Collapse -
another funny thing

is deliberate work arounds of the filters are actually sanctioned it seems in SE. I wonder how Lee feels about that? Maybe I'll ask him tomorrow if I feel the need.

- Collapse -
ACtually even your numbers

are misleading, because even the workers who have federal taxes withheld and file and owe nothing, the refund that they get isn't ONLY the amount that they have deducted, but they usually are 'entitled' to an Earned Income Credit, which INCREASES the refund they get back, usually by a thousand dollars or more depending upon how many kids they claim. There is proof that many illegals who legitimately file taxes are claiming kids, nieces and nephews, who still live in Mexico or other countries in order to 'work the system' and get massive refund checks every year. So, not only do these people (all mentioned here) not OWE taxes, but they receive EXTRA money in their refund checks.......and OTHER taxpayers who OWE taxes are paying for that.

- Collapse -
(NT) The kids have to have ssn
- Collapse -
No they don't

Because illegals when they file taxes don't use a SSN....they use a different 'worker' number given to them and none of their kids listed as dependents have to have SSN's either....that area is left blank.

- Collapse -
TIN

Taxpayer Identification Number

CNET Forums