Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

NEWS - May 12, 2005

Trojan horse rides America Online
Published: May 11, 2005, 9:15 AM PDT
By Dawn Kawamoto
Staff Writer, CNET News.com

Trojan horse that targets America Online's instant messenger users continues to make the rounds, infecting machines of users who click on the hyperlink embedded in the message. Although security firms McAfee and Symantec both characterize the threat as low, the Trojan, which goes by W32/Oscarbot, Backdoor.Doyorg and Backdoor.Win32.Agent.jn, is focusing on an area that has increasingly come under attack--instant messaging.

more here
http://news.com.com/Trojan+horse+rides+America+Online/2110-7349_3-5703241.html?tag=fd_nbs_ent&tag=nl.e703
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: NEWS - May 12, 2005
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: NEWS - May 12, 2005
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Mozilla releases Firefox security update

In reply to: NEWS - May 12, 2005

By Dawn Kawamoto, CNET News.com
Published on ZDNet News: May 12, 2005, 8:20 AM PT

A security update for the Firefox open-source browser has been released by the Mozilla Foundation, a move that follows the public disclosure of exploit code for two "extremely critical" vulnerabilities.

Mozilla's Firefox 1.0.4, released Wednesday, addresses vulnerabilities that surfaced earlier this week. The update includes several security fixes, as well as a fix to DHTML errors that were encountered on some Web sites, according to a posting on Mozilla's Web site.

The update is designed to address the two flaws, which when combined could allow malicious attackers to engage in cross-site scripting and remote system access. Although the two vulnerabilities could be exploited, there were no known active exploits.

more here
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-1009_22-5704684.html?tag=nl.e589

Collapse -
Security firms fight Firefox fire with fire

Just in time for one of the first serious security flaws to be found in Mozilla's Firefox, two companies, Anonymizer and FraudEliminator, have released new security products for the popular open source Web browser.

Anonymizer's Total Privacy Suite is designed to safeguard Firefox users from spyware, keylonger software, and other online snooping programs. The suite integrates three Anonymizer programs -- surfing, anti-spyware, and digital shredding -- into a single product.

"Although Firefox is a secure browser, users are still extremely vulnerable to ID theft on the Internet without Total Privacy Suite in place," said Lee Itzhaki, director of product management for Anonymizer.

FraudEliminator's latest version of its FraudEliminator Pro software offers protection against pharming, phishing, and DNS exploits.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/05/12/HNmozilla_1.html

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Requires membership to read article

In reply to: Security firms fight Firefox fire with fire

Collapse -
I got that too William when I

In reply to: (NT) Requires membership to read article

clicked on Donna's link BUT I copied and pasted it after that and the article loaded if you care to do that. I don't belong to that website either.

Collapse -
I don't

In reply to: I got that too William when I

see require membership when I clicked on it. Not sure why. I'm not a registered member of that site too.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thanks Roddy

In reply to: I got that too William when I

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome William

In reply to: (NT) Thanks Roddy

Collapse -
Australians take aim at spyware

Under new Australian legislation introduced by Democrats in the country, anyone convicted of installing spyware or cookies on computers without permission would face imprisonment of up to two years.

Brian Greig, the Democrats' information technology spokesman, said Thursday that the Spyware Bill 2005 was not designed to ban spyware or other unauthorized installations but to require companies to obtain permission from the owner of the computer before proceeding.

"It is this authorization that is at the heart of the Australian Democrats' proposals," Greig told the Senate. "Namely that no program or cookie or any other form of tracking device is to be installed on any computer without the user of that computer being given full and clear information as to the purpose of that computer or tracking device.

"Furthermore, once installed, each program or monitoring or tracking device must make it easy for the user to completely remove or uninstall it."

http://news.com.com/Australians+take+aim+at+spyware/2100-1028_3-5704978.html

Collapse -
Flaw found in VPN crypto security

Published: May 12, 2005, 1:31 PM PDT
By Dan Ilett
Special to CNET News.com

A flaw in a popular VPN technology could allow hackers to obtain a text version of encrypted communications with only "moderate effort," a tech security body has warned.

Britain's national emergency response team, the National Infrastructure Security Coordination Centre, issued a serious warning this week the safety of virtual private networks that use IPsec encryption and tunneling to connect remote workers to corporate networks.

more here
http://news.com.com/Flaw+found+in+VPN+crypto+security/2100-1002_3-5705185.html?tag=html.alert

Collapse -
RSA patches Web authentication tool

Collapse -
Windows OneCare, PC health solution by Microsoft

Microsoft to Deliver Automated, All-in-One PC Health Service for Consumers

Windows OneCare will span system performance, PC maintenance, data protection and security in easy-to-manage service.

REDMOND, Wash. -- May 13, 2005 -- The dynamic nature of the Internet and technology can make the protection, maintenance and optimal performance of PCs a challenge for consumers. Keeping a PC "healthy" today can be daunting and time-consuming for the average user.

To address the need for a more comprehensive PC health solution, Microsoft Corp. today announced plans to deliver Windows

Collapse -
AIM

Roddy, "clicks on which link"?

Collapse -
Hi Auggie, the links in the news article that

In reply to: AIM

go to McAfee and Symantec tell you more about the links in the AIM messenger that are infected. Here is the McAfee warning. It talks about a link that says "hey check out this out"
http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_133393.htm

The Symantec warning is here.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.doyorg.html

I stopped using ANY of the messengers a long time ago and although I still have the MSN one for emergenices with my family but, as a rule I would NEVER click on a link in ANY of the messengers. There are other viruses and trojans floating around besides this one.

Collapse -
AIM

In reply to: Hi Auggie, the links in the news article that

Thanks Roddy. I would never click on any link arriving in instant messenger. I seldom use it either. Only to talk to a friend in Ohio on occasion and it's all typed converstaion.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Good plan Auggie. :D

In reply to: AIM

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Enter to win* a free holiday tech gift!

CNET's giving five lucky winners the gift of their choice valued up to $250!