General discussion

news from away

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: news from away
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: news from away
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Perfect example of government talk, I love it
...clarified the government's long-standing ambiguity ...

"Canada's position is not a done deal,"...

So the USA is not the only place that often the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing.

JMO

Roger

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com
- Collapse -
It's never ceased to amaze me how the US manages to

persuade others to allow the nuclear fallout to fall on them, or us as it is in this case. Apparently Diefenbaker was conned into accepting the Bomarc missile instead of his own home grown fighter program that generated millions of defense dollars in Canada instead of paying millions to the US for a missile that didn't work.

The mind bagels

Rob Boyter

- Collapse -
Rest easy, guys !
- Collapse -
I know, but

I've been trying to find out what involvement Canada would have in Missile Defence.

From what I've been reading it mostly involves launching missiles from sites in California and Alaska, which have nothing to do with Canada.

Why would Canada be requested to sign for any of this?

- Collapse -
Maybe...

There are missile sites that are also controlled by NORAD. Note the yellow dots on the NORAD site. They are as close to your provinces as they are to the central US.

I am far from being an expert, but maybe, just maybe, those warheads could hit an incoming. I reckon the problem then would be (assuming that the warheads were not "dirty") if the incoming was dirty.

From the NORAD site:

Since 1958, Canadians and Americans have been partners in protecting the airspace of Alaska, Canada and the contiguous 48 United States

Today, the highly skilled men and women of NORAD use ground-based radar, airborne radar, satellites, fighter aircraft, proven command structures and intelligence capabilities to enforce control of the skies over the United States and Canada.

Frankly, I do not understand what the new proposal entails. Maybe it's to have some silos in Canada. Maybe there is hesitancy for the possibility that missiles would be flying through Canadian airspace from US silos. Maybe some feel that the US "duped" Canada in 1958.

"Star Wars" was never developed . But other technologies evolved from thinking about it.

On a personal note, I still wonder about all of those big meteors out there. Happy

Angelline

click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

- Collapse -
Just found this

If it could happen in England then it could happen in Canada

The Ministry Of Defence has denied reports that American interceptor missiles are to be stationed on British soil.

The Independent on Sunday says Tony Blair has agreed a secret deal with the US to base missiles at RAF Fylingdales in North Yorkshire.

The weapons would allow the US to destroy incoming missiles and form part of the new US missile defence system.

Only objections I've heard were about weapons in space, no mention of silos on foreign (Canadian) soil.

One US gov website I visited had terms like "space commander" in reference to missile defence.

- Collapse -
Why say no?

There is no Missile Defense System.

Dan

- Collapse -
Because

There is concern of weapons being placed in space.

And I agree with you, about the missile defense system, as of today, it is not off to a successful start.

As I said in my other post I can't find info about why they are asking Canada to sign anything.

- Collapse -
The more people

that this administration gets to sign on the more credibility this Wylie Coyote (Super Genius) plan garners in some people's eyes.

Dan

CNET Forums

Forum Info