Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

nework installation help

by rykdawgg6601 / February 27, 2007 1:11 PM PST

am trying to network my two home computers, and am not very capable with setting this up. my specifics are as follows:

Comp.1--HP desktop running Windows XP Home w/SP2. This has Norton Systemworks 2007 Premier and ZoneAlarm Pro installed.
Comp.2--Gateway running Windows XP Media Center. This is fresh out-of-box, with no installed AV or purchased firewall yet.
Motorola Cable/telephony modem SBV5220
Linksys Router WRT54G version 6
Linksys Wireless-G WMP54G

Wireless-G card was installed on Gateway and appears to be ok...brought up a list of available networks it sniffed out.
Attempted to install router on HP with supplied cd, but cannot connect to internet thru router. Wiring is correct: cable to modem, Ethernet cable to router, line 1 Ethernet cable to computer (HP). Have been in touch with their "support" techs. The last one informed me that there was a compatibility problem with IE7 (running on HP). So I installed Firefox version 2.0. Same problem exists. I'm able to "ping" their site 192.168.1.1, and can also "ping" a URL (if there's any difference between those two). I don't know how to check for the IP addresses, nor where the MAC address comes into play, if at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: nework installation help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: nework installation help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use the instructions from your ISP
by linkit / February 27, 2007 1:49 PM PST

Work on getting the wired connection working first. See if you can access the router's administration page (the router's settings) by going to http://192.168.1.1

Once you access the router's admin page, follow the instructions from your ISP on how to set up a router with their service.

Collapse -
for what it is worth
by frankzxcv / February 28, 2007 12:33 AM PST

i am no real expert but i've just been thru this so i thought i'd give you my 2 cents,

re: the router, my big mistake was misunderstanding which ethernet jack was in and which was out, as they are often right all in a row. that stuff usually works right off. if not, one trick is to reboot the modem and router: unplug, wait 30 seconds (why i don;t know- i wait 3) plug back in, and give it a few min.

re: setting up a home netowrk, here is what 5 books did not tell me:

assuming both comps are on the net,

this very important:
1) create a user account on each computer that is identical in name and password to the other.

when you create the account, add it to a workgroup. you need to name the workgoup the same on each machine too. this too is real important.

2) i am not sure but i think the accounts need a password. I was hoping to avoid this but apparently not.

2a you may need to set the thing to ask for passwords. go to system/ users and passwords. it's a checkbox. note this was a win2k thing.

3) using windows explorer, (not ie), right click on folders you want to share, click properties, and click on share/ sharing and make them shared.

4if you have a firewall (I have zone alarm) you need to add the network to the trusted zone. my system: start run type cmd, in the dos window type ipconfig. you will see your IP number, "add" that to your list of trusted zone comps.

5) note if all your machines are xp, there is a network setup wizard you can use. you need to burn a disk or have a thumb drive to xfer stuff to other comps. i had win2k so couldn't use it.

bear in mind, i played around with passwords yesterday and now nothing works, but i had it up and running for a day. this is just what seemed to work for me, it's still a blur. if any experts care to correct me feel free.

once done, click on start network places, you'll see menu options to click on, one will take you to your network group. if all you see is printers and faxes you dind't enable sharing. good luck-- fj

Collapse -
more thoughts
by frankzxcv / February 28, 2007 1:35 AM PST
In reply to: for what it is worth

well i am back up and running -- lesson learned, if you muck around with anything you need to go back and re-name the workgroup, why i do not know. --fj

Collapse -
A different problem
by linkit / February 28, 2007 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: more thoughts

Yep, that is a solution that can get sharing via Windows Workgroups going again.

The ability to connect to the Internet (rykdawgg6601's original problem) is independent of whether file sharing on a local network is functioning. rykdawgg6601 should be able to get the router to connect to the Internet whether or not Workgroup file and printer sharing is enabled.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.