Web Hosting, Design, & Coding forum

General discussion

Newly published site cannot be seen on the Internet

by deanajovanfleet / November 6, 2003 11:57 AM PST

Can anyone help me? I have recently changed servers and chose a Linux platform over a Windows one due to its reliability (so I am told). I just published a new website to the server... http://www.drewcoopermx.com and
only 1/2 of people looking at it are able to bring it up on their computer. What could possibly be the reason for this? We've tried different computers in different locations and different cities... and only half the people see the website... the others get a message saying the page cannot be found...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Newly published site cannot be seen on the Internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Newly published site cannot be seen on the Internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Newly published site cannot be seen on the Internet
by David Chan / November 6, 2003 12:23 PM PST

If it's any help, I can view the website on my I.E. 6/XP Pro from Toronto, Canada.

Happy

Collapse -
by Andrea B. / November 6, 2003 8:01 PM PST

I can see it too - IE 6 and Win XP.

You didn't ask for comments on the site, but I need to anyway:

I have about 1 inch of screen left where the actual information you seem to want to get across is displayed. And to me there's nothing worth that much scrolling.

My suggestion: Use your graphic as a home page, if you must, but find something much smaller for the contend pages.

Collapse -
There's a clue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 9:18 PM PST

"I have recently changed servers"

The magic of DNS is that it takes a day or so for IP changes to propagate to the world. A secondary problem occurs when some load internet accelerator software that caches the IP address and when a site moves, they complain they can't get to the new site.

You may see this issue vanish in time.

Bob

Collapse -
(NT) May I delete you duplicate unanswered posting?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 6, 2003 9:19 PM PST

Collapse -
by roameri / November 6, 2003 11:26 PM PST

Comes up fine on my P4/WIN98 S.E./IE6.
Jamshed, Mumbai, India.

Collapse -
by raredx / March 14, 2004 1:22 PM PST

First thing I would do is contact several of the group who can't see the pages and have them delete cookies and temp internet files from their computer. I have found this to be an issue with several sites lately that I maintain. FYI I can see the site fine using IE6/XP Pro
Terry

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.