Computer Help forum

General discussion

newly built computer shuts on then off within seconds!

by MZRANDuM / November 2, 2010 6:47 AM PDT

SPECS:
ASUS-M4A785-M
onboard graphics card, but if computer didn?t boot I was going to try using [BFG Tech]GEFORCE 7950 GT OC
AMD Athlon II quad core
4 x 1gb DDR2
650W blustar PSU
*Everything is new, the only thing that is used is the graphics card*

I just put together this new computer. I haven't even put an OS in it yet. I turned on the computer and everything was working so smoothly for about 30 minutes, then out of nowhere it turned off. When I tried turning it back on the fans and led lights would turn on for about 1-2 seconds then shuts off (so basically everything turns on then off within seconds) it won?t stay on, however when I have the PSU on the little green LED light on my motherboard stays on and as soon as I turn off the PSU the motherboard's LED light will go out so I don't think it's the motherboard but I could be wrong. Everything is compatible with the motherboard I've checked thoroughly. I also took the motherboard out of the case and looked for any dark marks I also smelled it, and see no signs of the motherboard being burned out. I double checked all wiring and hardware components and tried it, still the same.
UPDATE:I tried turning it back on but the fans and led lights are not turning on at all.but the little green LED on the motherboard is still working fine. HELP PLEASE .

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: newly built computer shuts on then off within seconds!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: newly built computer shuts on then off within seconds!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Two Things I'd Start With..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 7:15 AM PDT

1. Make sure the thermal grease is applied correctly and the heatsink and processor are attached as designed.

2. Swap in a known good power supply.. Although you're current one may be new, it appears like it could be the culprit.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
by MZRANDuM / November 2, 2010 7:51 AM PDT

the thermal grease was already applied when i bought the cpu, and the power supply is new i have another one that is 550 watts i tried that one too but my computer still does the same thing

Collapse -
Then We Start From Scratch..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 2, 2010 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: reply

Troubleshoot the issue.. Remove the cpu and reapply the thermal grease and reseat the heatsink, etc. Remove all RAM sticks except one, in the number one slot, then remove the graphics card, then start the machine.. Do things appear to start correctly now? If so, then place the graphics card in the slot and try again. Continue on determining exactly which part is the culprit.

If it's not running correctly without the graphics card, then the motherboard, or your power supply's connections to it are not functioning correctly.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
RE::
by MZRANDuM / November 2, 2010 12:13 PM PDT

I think i found out what the problem is,i looked at M4A785-M Memory Qualified Vendors List and seen that the lowest i can go is 667MHz the ram i have is 533MHz the funny thing is that i asked my bf if this ram was ok before i bought it and he said it was,but i guess he was mistaken so now i'm going to buy new ram and see how that works.I still don't understand if that is the case why the computer turned on and stayed on for 30 minutes before it decided to turn off...anywho i have my fingers crossed

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?